Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2019, 04:00 PM
Tiger Starter

Default Re: Tigers blow it

Quote:
Originally Posted by esposodeheather View Post
When is Brownell going to learn to fight for his team? Even in a press conference he is so concerned to break a rule? So what if he gets fined, he could gain a lot of respect in the eyes of the players and the fans by reacting to some of these calls and maybe even get a.......technical foul!
Agree 100%, get some emotion and fight for your players who are getting hosed by the refs. Show the fans and your team that you care, throw something, pitch a fit, don't just stand there and watch the game slip away.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:05 PM
Two Deep

How do y'all not see that the refs keeping Thomas on the bench was the difference in the game?
Old 03-13-2019, 04:20 PM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89tigeralum View Post
Agree 100%, get some emotion and fight for your players who are getting hosed by the refs. Show the fans and your team that you care, throw something, pitch a fit, don't just stand there and watch the game slip away.
I don't disagree with this. I wish he would've gotten more emotional about several of the calls.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:25 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvegastiger49 View Post
Maybe when you have a lot of youth and inexperience, but from a senior laden team I expect more than just tanking bc you have some bad calls go against you.
I know I have said this before many times, but somehow we keep outdoing ourselves in the metric of "this is the epitome of Brownell basketball". Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. At some point some of you diehard supporters have to ask yourselves is this really working? Is this senior laden team full of guys Brownell recruited and coached for 4 years the best we can expect from him?

Exactly.

Earlier this season Will created a thread about how many close losses we've had over the past few years. When you accumulate the number that we have it stops being about luck, or bad call, or players playing bad and it starts being about the only constant in the entire time frame.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:40 PM
Two Deep

This is a disappointing season no matter how anyone spins it. For the people who want Brownell gone....who are you going to realistically get? Some up and comer who will bail for a bigger job (Barnes), a retread, another mid-major who can't recruit, or a guy that was not worth a piss to start with.

Fans are so apathetic over the basketball program that maybe change needs to be made to create excitement for men's basketball.....but keep in mind...you could do a lot worse than Brad Brownell and he is squeaky clean...which in this day of FBI investigations and AAU hsndlers...is a pretty big deal.

My point would be....be careful what you wish for.....you might just get it. Quite a few people where clamoring for Will Wade a couple years ago......how has that worked out?
Old 03-13-2019, 04:43 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: Tigers blow it

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy2402 View Post
Exactly.

Earlier this season Will created a thread about how many close losses we've had over the past few years. When you accumulate the number that we have it stops being about luck, or bad call, or players playing bad and it starts being about the only constant in the entire time frame.
This was the story of Tommy Bowden's downfall. Do you remember how often he would say, "We were just one or two plays ....."
Old 03-13-2019, 04:56 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerRick4U View Post
This is a disappointing season no matter how anyone spins it. For the people who want Brownell gone....who are you going to realistically get? Some up and comer who will bail for a bigger job (Barnes), a retread, another mid-major who can't recruit, or a guy that was not worth a piss to start with.

Fans are so apathetic over the basketball program that maybe change needs to be made to create excitement for men's basketball.....but keep in mind...you could do a lot worse than Brad Brownell and he is squeaky clean...which in this day of FBI investigations and AAU hsndlers...is a pretty big deal.

My point would be....be careful what you wish for.....you might just get it. Quite a few people where clamoring for Will Wade a couple years ago......how has that worked out?

I've heard this argument before. Sounds just like the one people made to keep Bowden.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:44 PM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger80 View Post
This was the story of Tommy Bowden's downfall. Do you remember how often he would say, "We were just one or two plays ....."

Once again you compare Clemson football and basketball? FYI they are not the same
Old 03-13-2019, 06:12 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsson View Post
Once again you compare Clemson football and basketball? FYI they are not the same

Repeated close losses over multiple years with multiple personnel groupings is exactly the same thing. That's not a player not making a play problem, or a refs screwing us problem, that's a program mentality problem just the same as what we had under Bowden.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:48 PM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89tigeralum View Post
Not just CBB but also our AD and University President need to show some moxie and hold those clowns in NC accountable for the tobacco road bias. Call a toad a toad and let the chips fall where they may. CBB is a too nice guy but if he believed he had our AD Dept support he might be willing to put up a bigger fight. Our maybe our AD should light a fire under him and at the same time say that will cover for your fines as long as you've done right by our guys.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:49 PM
Two Deep

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerRick4U View Post

If Clemson can hire a coach who can turn around the women's program, there's no reason the same can't be done for the men's program. This team wilts under pressure. That comes from the top.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:45 PM
Tiger Starter

I'd like to get new Clemson basketball fans. Reading some of these comments throwing our coaches and players under the bus is disgusting.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:06 PM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Keller View Post
I'd like to get new Clemson basketball fans. Reading some of these comments throwing our coaches and players under the bus is disgusting.
Grow up Keller. Iím no less of a fan just bc I donít think Brownell is doing a great job and am ready to go in a new direction after 9 years.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:11 PM
Travel Team

Judge Keller be lik...

Old 03-14-2019, 08:35 AM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan View Post
I
If Clemson can hire a coach who can turn around the women's program, there's no reason the same can't be done for the men's program. This team wilts under pressure. That comes from the top.

Let's pump the brakes on the women's program. She had one good year. It needs to continue before we start talking about a turnaround.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:38 AM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walhalla2Atlanta View Post
We should at least be sniffing it, in the hunt, etc. And we're not. And we won't be anytime soon. Why can't that be the goal? Why can't we hope we have the coach that can get us there? The reason you fire a coach and hire a new one is so that the new one can take you to new levels, climb new mountains, win things never won before. So, I don't think "holding Brownell" to living up to that standard is "a bit much."

Best is the standard. In everything Clemson. Don't ask "why," ask "why not."

If "Best is the standard," then administration has to make the same commitment to basketball as it did to football. Clemson is in the top 10 in terms of salaries for CFB.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:23 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawStudent View Post
If "Best is the standard," then administration has to make the same commitment to basketball as it did to football. Clemson is in the top 10 in terms of salaries for CFB.

True.

But the increase in salaries started to come after the football program accomplished something that hadn't been accomplished in 20 years. In other words football earned their salary increases.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:49 AM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
True.

But the increase in salaries started to come after the football program accomplished something that hadn't been accomplished in 20 years. In other words football earned their salary increases.

So, BB must win an ACC title to get a commitment? Might as well shut down the program.

Last edited by LawStudent; 03-14-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:58 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawStudent View Post
So, BB must win an ACC title to get a commitment? Might as well shut down the program.

That's probably asking too much.

I'd settle with winning a few games in the ACC Tournament and making the NCAA tournament more than twice a decade.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:09 AM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
That's probably asking too much.

I'd settle with winning a few games in the ACC Tournament and making the NCAA tournament more than twice a decade.

What he has done is in line with history. He took the team to the second best finish in program history last year. I believe his ACC winning percentage is the highest for any Clemson coach.