Clemson Insider Logo



Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 03-13-2019, 04:00 PM
89tigeralum 89tigeralum is online now
Tiger Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,175
Default Re: Tigers blow it

Quote:
Originally Posted by esposodeheather View Post
When is Brownell going to learn to fight for his team? Even in a press conference he is so concerned to break a rule? So what if he gets fined, he could gain a lot of respect in the eyes of the players and the fans by reacting to some of these calls and maybe even get a.......technical foul!
Agree 100%, get some emotion and fight for your players who are getting hosed by the refs. Show the fans and your team that you care, throw something, pitch a fit, don't just stand there and watch the game slip away.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-13-2019, 04:05 PM
TigerFaninArkansas TigerFaninArkansas is offline
Two Deep
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Jonesboro, AR
Posts: 746
Default Re: Tigers blow it

How do y'all not see that the refs keeping Thomas on the bench was the difference in the game?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-13-2019, 04:20 PM
TigerFaninArkansas TigerFaninArkansas is offline
Two Deep
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Jonesboro, AR
Posts: 746
Default Re: Tigers blow it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89tigeralum View Post
Agree 100%, get some emotion and fight for your players who are getting hosed by the refs. Show the fans and your team that you care, throw something, pitch a fit, don't just stand there and watch the game slip away.
I don't disagree with this. I wish he would've gotten more emotional about several of the calls.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-13-2019, 04:25 PM
catdaddy2402's Avatar
catdaddy2402 catdaddy2402 is online now
NFL Tiger
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 2,793
Default Re: Tigers blow it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvegastiger49 View Post
Maybe when you have a lot of youth and inexperience, but from a senior laden team I expect more than just tanking bc you have some bad calls go against you.
I know I have said this before many times, but somehow we keep outdoing ourselves in the metric of "this is the epitome of Brownell basketball". Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. At some point some of you diehard supporters have to ask yourselves is this really working? Is this senior laden team full of guys Brownell recruited and coached for 4 years the best we can expect from him?

Exactly.




Earlier this season Will created a thread about how many close losses we've had over the past few years. When you accumulate the number that we have it stops being about luck, or bad call, or players playing bad and it starts being about the only constant in the entire time frame.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-13-2019, 04:40 PM
TigerRick4U's Avatar
TigerRick4U TigerRick4U is offline
Two Deep
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 602
Default Re: Tigers blow it

This is a disappointing season no matter how anyone spins it. For the people who want Brownell gone....who are you going to realistically get? Some up and comer who will bail for a bigger job (Barnes), a retread, another mid-major who can't recruit, or a guy that was not worth a piss to start with.


Fans are so apathetic over the basketball program that maybe change needs to be made to create excitement for men's basketball.....but keep in mind...you could do a lot worse than Brad Brownell and he is squeaky clean...which in this day of FBI investigations and AAU hsndlers...is a pretty big deal.


My point would be....be careful what you wish for.....you might just get it. Quite a few people where clamoring for Will Wade a couple years ago......how has that worked out?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-13-2019, 04:43 PM
Tiger80 Tiger80 is online now
Ring of Honor
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 12,828
Post Re: Tigers blow it

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy2402 View Post
Exactly.




Earlier this season Will created a thread about how many close losses we've had over the past few years. When you accumulate the number that we have it stops being about luck, or bad call, or players playing bad and it starts being about the only constant in the entire time frame.
This was the story of Tommy Bowden's downfall. Do you remember how often he would say, "We were just one or two plays ....."
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-13-2019, 04:56 PM
catdaddy2402's Avatar
catdaddy2402 catdaddy2402 is online now
NFL Tiger
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 2,793
Default Re: Tigers blow it

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerRick4U View Post
This is a disappointing season no matter how anyone spins it. For the people who want Brownell gone....who are you going to realistically get? Some up and comer who will bail for a bigger job (Barnes), a retread, another mid-major who can't recruit, or a guy that was not worth a piss to start with.


Fans are so apathetic over the basketball program that maybe change needs to be made to create excitement for men's basketball.....but keep in mind...you could do a lot worse than Brad Brownell and he is squeaky clean...which in this day of FBI investigations and AAU hsndlers...is a pretty big deal.


My point would be....be careful what you wish for.....you might just get it. Quite a few people where clamoring for Will Wade a couple years ago......how has that worked out?

I've heard this argument before. Sounds just like the one people made to keep Bowden.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-13-2019, 05:44 PM
clemsson clemsson is online now
Tiger Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,997
Default Re: Tigers blow it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger80 View Post
This was the story of Tommy Bowden's downfall. Do you remember how often he would say, "We were just one or two plays ....."


Once again you compare Clemson football and basketball? FYI they are not the same
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-13-2019, 06:12 PM
catdaddy2402's Avatar
catdaddy2402 catdaddy2402 is online now
NFL Tiger
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 2,793
Default Re: Tigers blow it

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsson View Post
Once again you compare Clemson football and basketball? FYI they are not the same

Repeated close losses over multiple years with multiple personnel groupings is exactly the same thing. That's not a player not making a play problem, or a refs screwing us problem, that's a program mentality problem just the same as what we had under Bowden.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-13-2019, 06:48 PM
hptiger3 hptiger3 is online now
Two Deep
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 962
Default Re: Tigers blow it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89tigeralum View Post
Agree 100%, get some emotion and fight for your players who are getting hosed by the refs. Show the fans and your team that you care, throw something, pitch a fit, don't just stand there and watch the game slip away.
Not just CBB but also our AD and University President need to show some moxie and hold those clowns in NC accountable for the tobacco road bias. Call a toad a toad and let the chips fall where they may. CBB is a too nice guy but if he believed he had our AD Dept support he might be willing to put up a bigger fight. Our maybe our AD should light a fire under him and at the same time say that will cover for your fines as long as you've done right by our guys.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 03-13-2019, 07:49 PM
clemsonfan clemsonfan is offline
Two Deep
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 609
Default Re: Tigers blow it

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerRick4U View Post
This is a disappointing season no matter how anyone spins it. For the people who want Brownell gone....who are you going to realistically get? Some up and comer who will bail for a bigger job (Barnes), a retread, another mid-major who can't recruit, or a guy that was not worth a piss to start with.


Fans are so apathetic over the basketball program that maybe change needs to be made to create excitement for men's basketball.....but keep in mind...you could do a lot worse than Brad Brownell and he is squeaky clean...which in this day of FBI investigations and AAU hsndlers...is a pretty big deal.


My point would be....be careful what you wish for.....you might just get it. Quite a few people where clamoring for Will Wade a couple years ago......how has that worked out?
If Clemson can hire a coach who can turn around the women's program, there's no reason the same can't be done for the men's program. This team wilts under pressure. That comes from the top.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-13-2019, 09:45 PM
Judge Keller Judge Keller is online now
Tiger Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,056
Default Re: Tigers blow it

I'd like to get new Clemson basketball fans. Reading some of these comments throwing our coaches and players under the bus is disgusting.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-13-2019, 10:06 PM
Gvegastiger49's Avatar
Gvegastiger49 Gvegastiger49 is offline
Tiger Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,204
Default Re: Tigers blow it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Keller View Post
I'd like to get new Clemson basketball fans. Reading some of these comments throwing our coaches and players under the bus is disgusting.
Grow up Keller. Iím no less of a fan just bc I donít think Brownell is doing a great job and am ready to go in a new direction after 9 years.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-13-2019, 10:11 PM
BloodTiger BloodTiger is online now
Travel Team
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 350
Default Re: Tigers blow it

Judge Keller be lik...

Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-14-2019, 08:35 AM
LawStudent LawStudent is offline
Tiger Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Johns Island
Posts: 1,780
Default Re: Tigers blow it

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan View Post
I
If Clemson can hire a coach who can turn around the women's program, there's no reason the same can't be done for the men's program. This team wilts under pressure. That comes from the top.

Let's pump the brakes on the women's program. She had one good year. It needs to continue before we start talking about a turnaround.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-14-2019, 08:38 AM
LawStudent LawStudent is offline
Tiger Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Johns Island
Posts: 1,780
Default Re: Tigers blow it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walhalla2Atlanta View Post
We should at least be sniffing it, in the hunt, etc. And we're not. And we won't be anytime soon. Why can't that be the goal? Why can't we hope we have the coach that can get us there? The reason you fire a coach and hire a new one is so that the new one can take you to new levels, climb new mountains, win things never won before. So, I don't think "holding Brownell" to living up to that standard is "a bit much."

Best is the standard. In everything Clemson. Don't ask "why," ask "why not."

If "Best is the standard," then administration has to make the same commitment to basketball as it did to football. Clemson is in the top 10 in terms of salaries for CFB.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-14-2019, 10:23 AM
catdaddy2402's Avatar
catdaddy2402 catdaddy2402 is online now
NFL Tiger
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 2,793
Default Re: Tigers blow it

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawStudent View Post
If "Best is the standard," then administration has to make the same commitment to basketball as it did to football. Clemson is in the top 10 in terms of salaries for CFB.

True.


But the increase in salaries started to come after the football program accomplished something that hadn't been accomplished in 20 years. In other words football earned their salary increases.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-14-2019, 10:49 AM
LawStudent LawStudent is offline
Tiger Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Johns Island
Posts: 1,780
Default Re: Tigers blow it

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy2402 View Post
True.


But the increase in salaries started to come after the football program accomplished something that hadn't been accomplished in 20 years. In other words football earned their salary increases.

So, BB must win an ACC title to get a commitment? Might as well shut down the program.

Last edited by LawStudent; 03-14-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-14-2019, 10:58 AM
catdaddy2402's Avatar
catdaddy2402 catdaddy2402 is online now
NFL Tiger
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 2,793
Default Re: Tigers blow it

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawStudent View Post
So, BB must win an ACC title to get a commitment? Might as well shut down the program.

That's probably asking too much.




I'd settle with winning a few games in the ACC Tournament and making the NCAA tournament more than twice a decade.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-14-2019, 11:09 AM
LawStudent LawStudent is offline
Tiger Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Johns Island
Posts: 1,780
Default Re: Tigers blow it

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy2402 View Post
That's probably asking too much.




I'd settle with winning a few games in the ACC Tournament and making the NCAA tournament more than twice a decade.

What he has done is in line with history. He took the team to the second best finish in program history last year. I believe his ACC winning percentage is the highest for any Clemson coach.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:38 PM.

Partner with USA TODAY Sports Media Group

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.