Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > All In Recruiting
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2014, 06:26 AM
Founder/Publisher

Default Will one of nation's best commit to Clemson this weekend?

The Tigers will host a number of baseball prospects this weekend and one of them is Seth Beer. Seth visited Clemson in July.

He is the No. 7 player nationally for the 2016 class and would be expected to play outfield at the next level.

We told you in an Insider Report in late July that we thought he would end up committing to Clemson after a visit to Florida State. He has now take that visit and will be back on campus this weekend.

Sources tell TCI there is a very good chance that Seth will commit to the Tigers this weekend.

Of course when you get a commit from one of the nation's best there is a risk you lose the player to the MLB draft, but Seth's parents are very big on academics so the Tigers feel there is a chance he could turn down the draft and attend Clemson.

We will of course monitor this situation closely over the weekend.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:19 AM
Travel Team

Default Re: Will one of nation's best commit to Clemson this weekend?

Great news! I also noticed that our 2015 class is up to 8th on Perfectgame.org after their latest round of player evaluations!
Old 09-04-2014, 12:42 PM
Ring of Honor

Do you think giving Leggett his extension is helping him get the guys he's targeting this time?

I ask only because of the past posts I read from those who want him gone.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:08 PM
Travel Team

Not sure if this is directed at me. But I will answer as if it is. I did not agree with retaining coach Leggett and still do not. It is my personal opinion (please note the term, "opinion") that our program needs a fresh start under new leadership. With that said, the decision was made to retain coach Leggett and so I will continue to hope for his success. In direct answer to your question, I am sure that the contract extension has played a role in our recent recruiting success, even though I would contend that the hiring of a new coach would have presented the same success because Clemson baseball has a very rich tradition to recruit to. Just to be clear, I would be thrilled for our baseball team to win its first national title and for Coach Leggett to be crowned national coach of the year! It is just my opinion that nothing close to that will happen...
Old 09-04-2014, 01:30 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwpage View Post
Not sure if this is directed at me. But I will answer as if it is. I did not agree with retaining coach Leggett and still do not.
There were more than few angry about his extension if I remember right. I was only wondering people's opinion about the way this next group is shaping up. Not so much if they are changing their opinion on him.

Just seems to me Leggett has a long history that attracts players, probably with advice from coaches and past players. A new coach might need a little time to build that up depending on their background. Regardless we are getting good talent. Now Leggett has to prove you wrong. Or right....
Old 09-04-2014, 03:23 PM
Clemson Insider

I think it's great that baseball recruiting class is rank #8, however they could be ranked #1 and it doesn't matter as much as say basketball or football rankings. The main thing that matters is who actually enrolls and plays at Clemson. I may be wrong but last years class was ranked in the top 10-15 but the top 3 recruits went to the MLB. Hopefully they all enroll and they continue to build a strong class.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:16 PM
Banned

Did I miss an extension for coach Leggett? Last I heard, Dan decided to keep him, but there was no extension. I don't think I've been under a rock for the last 3 months, so did I miss something? I am a little disturbed that the trend of losing top incoming freshmen to the draft that was so prevalent when Sully was in charge has reappeared. I hope Bradley didn't get that from Sully. I would love to have Seth Beer commit and show up on campus. That's a sure-fire way to have beer in Doug Kingsmore. And as an aside, Baseball America updated its list of Major League debuts in the last couple of days to include some of the September callups. So far this season (and it's nearly over) 211 players have made their Major League debuts. Of that 211, 97 (46%) played Division 1 college baseball. Another 23 (11%) played some other kind of college baseball. Fifty four (26%) were signed as international free agents and 37 (18%) signed out of HS. If the point is getting to the Major Leagues, then playing D1 college baseball is the route to go.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:56 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball fan View Post
Did I miss an extension for coach Leggett? Last I heard, Dan decided to keep him, but there was no extension.
You are right. I went back through this site and couldn't find anything about the extension. I guess I got him confused with Brownell. The chatter sounds the same at some point to me. My flaw.

Regardless, we seem to be lining up the talent whether people think it is due to or in spite of Leggett.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:40 AM
Banned

How many times have we heard that someone (or his parents) is "big on academics" and it goes away when the money shows up? I hate to be cynical, but it could be a negotiating ploy to drive up his price when the draft comes. Someone named Daniel Norris comes to mind.