Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2019, 07:15 AM
Owner, Publisher

Default Wish Dabo had gone into the transfer portal

To get a quality, experienced DT and also a TE. That's against the way he does things but sure would have helped the depth at those two positions.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:00 AM
Travel Team

Default Re: Wish Dabo had gone into the transfer portal

I hear that once you go into the quantum transfer portal you can never come back. No need to risk it.

Who do you think was/is in the portal that would be an instant upgrade at DT and TE?
Old 02-11-2019, 08:04 AM
Owner, Publisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUAg98 View Post
I hear that once you go into the quantum transfer portal you can never come back. No need to risk it.

Who do you think was/is in the portal that would be an instant upgrade at DT and TE?
Well since our only TE's if Galloway can't go are Chalk and a freshmen any TE with decent experience certainly would have helped the depth.

Since right now at DT we are very, very thin it is a similar issue. Both our experienced DT's are out for the spring with injuries. I have concerns about one being back when the season starts. That leaves us depending on Kelly, Jefferies and the incoming freshmen for depth and maybe even a starting role.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:13 AM
Tiger Starter

A few thoughts, I agree we are thin at these positions and could use depth.

I have doubts that the transfer portal is the way to go. As you said this isnít Davis style.

The program is built on fit, family, and chemistry of those involved. That means growing that chemistry through 3-4 years in a program. Which is why Davi doesnít bring in 1 year transfers to disrupt that chemistry.

I could see a freshman transfer, but you have to wonder if players in the portal would be a fit. You are moving on from a team you made a commitment to, for what ever reason. Does that mean your willing to stick it out to compete on the clemson roster?
Old 02-11-2019, 08:15 AM
Travel Team

I agree the DT situation in particular is very thin. It makes the old Belk decision seem even more strange when you look at where he might fit in for this upcoming season for a championship contender. But, you have to want to be the best to achieve it for sure, and not sure the desire/effort was there.

I really haven't followed the list of DTs and TEs looking to transfer. Are there any that we recruited hard in previous years looking for a new home? You would think there may be an exception or two every now and then that might work out well.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:42 AM
Two Deep

Quote:
I really haven't followed the list of DTs and TEs looking to transfer. Are there any that we recruited hard in previous years looking for a new home? You would think there may be an exception or two every now and then that might work out well.
This in my opinion is the only way we would consider a portal transfer. Simply look at the Dukes recruitment and at what age Dabo and Co. begin recruiting these guys. Picking someone off the transfer portal seems to be a relatively quick turnaround without time to build a relationship or time to build a relationship.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:51 AM
Two Deep

Would any O or D linemen be able to transition to TE temporarily?
Old 02-11-2019, 09:28 AM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTiger7 View Post
Remember guys, Galloway can practice this spring so the concern will be if he is available to play in the fall. What to they do if he isn't? It will be interesting to see what moves they make in the spring, if any, do help with depth at TE.

Also, there is still no definite answer on Garrett Williams.

If Kelly Bryant would have stayed at Clemson, he might be the starter at TE this year.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:30 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Vandervort View Post
Remember guys, Galloway can practice this spring so the concern will be if he is available to play in the fall. What to they do if he isn't? It will be interesting to see what moves they make in the spring, if any, do help with depth at TE.

Also, there is still no definite answer on Garrett Williams.

If Kelly Bryant would have stayed at Clemson, he might be the starter at TE this year.

I said at the beginning of last spring that KB should switch to TE. Not only do I think he could have been extremely effective at CU there but could also be his best chance to make the NFL.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:02 AM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllOrange67 View Post
I said at the beginning of last spring that KB should switch to TE. Not only do I think he could have been extremely effective at CU there but could also be his best chance to make the NFL.
I always thought safety was KBís potential ticket to a pro career (NFL, CFL, maybe XFL?). Either TE or Safety would require new training and body reshaping, so now the AAF appears to be his next stop to develop as a QB. However, it wasnít clear for me how you get on the AAF radar. Do they have a draft or open tryouts?
Old 02-11-2019, 12:22 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTiger7 View Post

Doubtful.

Walk-on LB Luke Price played TE/HB in high school at Dillon Christian.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/luke...ball-stats.htm

At 6'2" 230lbs he'd be more of the body type needed, and it wouldn't be a shock to his family if he earned playing time since he's former OL Phillip Price's brother.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:10 PM
Travel Team

Didn't Jake Venables play TE in high school also?
Old 02-11-2019, 01:38 PM
Tiger Starter

To be fair we have not utilized the TE in the passing game very well over the past 2 years. I just want to see us start making the TE apart of the offense more. Both Orhorhoro and Reuben have the size and ability to add 20 pounds and move inside. Not sure what the plans are for those 2 but they are bigger body guys who look like they can move inside easily. If Kelly can put weight on and move inside these 2 freshmen can. If Johnson wasn't a summer enrollee I'd say he'd have a great chance but I think he may have too much to learn in a short time. Thats why getting Orhorhoro, Reuben and Davis as mid-year guys was extremely important. You talking about guys that will get every opportunity to earn playing time with Nyles and Jordan out. Even if those 2 weren't out you really only have Nyles who you know the coaches trust in any situation. So a lot of teaching to do for a very important Spring for the young DT's.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:02 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Didn't Jake Venables play TE in high school also?
He may have lined up at TE a few times at Daniel, but he was predominantly a LB. At 6'1", he's kinda short for what we're used to seeing at that position.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:04 PM
Tiger Starter

What will our goal line packages look like next year without Williams or any other experienced big TE? Dex and Wilkins are gone and you canít risk injury of any other DTís for the Jumbo play. I guess we see more motion and the corner fade passes like we used with Martavis Bryant and Mike W.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:04 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpawgt View Post
What will our goal line packages look like next year without Williams or any other experienced big TE? Dex and Wilkins are gone and you canít risk injury of any other DTís for the Jumbo play. I guess we see more motion and the corner fade passes like we used with Martavis Bryant and Mike W.

Going by the roster we have plenty of FB/HB body types in the TE room.

Chalk is 6'3" 260

Out of the walkons

Cole Renfrow is 5'11" 230
Tyler Brown is 6' 220
J.L Banks is 6'1" 240

What we are missing is the receiving threat.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:57 AM
The Gambler - Charter Member - Clemson Insider - Gate Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpawgt View Post
I always thought safety was KBís potential ticket to a pro career (NFL, CFL, maybe XFL?). Either TE or Safety would require new training and body reshaping, so now the AAF appears to be his next stop to develop as a QB. However, it wasnít clear for me how you get on the AAF radar. Do they have a draft or open tryouts?
They drafted the QBs and the rest of the team was filled out regionally. For instance, if you went to Clemson, UGA, GT, etc. then you would be on the Atlanta Legends team.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:56 AM
Ring of Honor

I wish we'd take a couple extra guys every class, but that gets into other issues. We've clearly missed on DT numbers, but TE has some circumstances that cant be helped.