Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2014, 09:29 AM
TCI Staff

Default Clemson's running backs

Good article by ESPN on Clemson's running back situation. What are your thoughts on the Tigers' running game this coming fall? Who do you think will be the starter?
Old 03-12-2014, 09:34 AM
Tiger Starter

Default Re: Clemson's running backs

Start nod to Gallman. Brookes will get significant snaps and I say they're right this time on the the RB by committee thing. Too much talent to run one guy.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:41 AM
Travel Team

The starter will be whoever is most reliable in pass pro AND who can hang on to the football. As a runner, I like CJ Davidson best. He hits the hole fast and gets north-south with surprising power.

Whoever is in there will be greatly helped if Chad Kelly can win the starting job. Kelly's running ability can make the run game finally work like Morris wants.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:35 PM
NFL Tiger

Honestly, I think CJ Davidson will start against UGA. I think he's the biggest home run threat, and will pack on a little weight to help out in pass pro. I don't think we will have one single ballcarrier get 1,000 yards but I think the production will be excellent from the position as a whole.

I predict a top 15 ground game nationally.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:48 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Jeff Davis View Post
Honestly, I think CJ Davidson will start against UGA. I think he's the biggest home run threat, and will pack on a little weight to help out in pass pro. I don't think we will have one single ballcarrier get 1,000 yards but I think the production will be excellent from the position as a whole.

The Judge going out on a limb with his 2,000th post. I like it
Old 03-12-2014, 05:41 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Jeff Davis View Post

Hard to imagine Davidson won't be a big part of the committee if not a starter. He doesn't have Spiller-like bursts, but he's got more burst than any I saw last year including Hot Rod. If Gallman can be the bruiser PLUS show similar burst and power as Morris is saying, maybe he is the shoe-in for starter.

Last edited by TigerNE; 03-12-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:29 PM
Banned

I think Davidson actually has the least chance to start. It has nothing to do with his abilities as a ball carrier and everything to do with his pass protection. Being the smallest of the group and basically out of football for years, I would think his pass protection might be less effective than the others.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:07 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4inarow View Post
I think Davidson actually has the least chance to start. It has nothing to do with his abilities as a ball carrier and everything to do with his pass protection. Being the smallest of the group and basically out of football for years, I would think his pass protection might be less effective than the others.
I guess I consider the #2 or #3 guy on the depth chart to be in the "starting" category especially if we aren't going with a single key back like 2013. If we run by committee, we are likely to see Davidson take a high number of snaps. Sweeps and short plays to the outside are more his strength. Besides some of the new guys like Gallway, I'm not sure any of the more experienced guys are very solid up the middle runners. Brooks might be better than Davidson, a little. But that won't mean he gets the ball up the middle often.