Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2016, 04:38 PM
Tiger Starter

Default Re: Live from Death Valley - Clemson vs. Troy Thread

Dabo has his hands full this year. The offense is not playing like a team. Too much me and I there. People aren't just gonna roll over and play dead just because of the success of last year. Truly pitiful display today.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:40 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathValleyMike View Post
I think the anomaly at OC is catching up with the Tigers.
The tandem OC idea worked out great last year but they are leaving
Keys on plays again . You can almost see what's coming before they snap the ball .
I know game planning is a team effort, but with regards to play calling I don't think Scott has anything to do with it, it's all Elliot. I really think our biggest problem is players(and maybe a few coaches) buying their own hype.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:41 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015TigerAlum View Post
So am I still the only one who has very valid concerns with the offense?
Think everyone has concerns. How could you not after 6 quarters of bad or no better than mediocre play? We have different opinions about how bad things are though.

My biggest concern is we play only as good as we need to win. We will test that twice in 2 and then 3 weeks from now.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:44 PM
Scholarship Player

Offensively I'm just worried bout the O-Line and I'll think they'll come around...Deshaun will be fine and so will the WR's and RB's....We've looked sloppy...Defensively We got ? Marks..I hope Austin is back soon and Ben is fine..Van doesn't need to be a starter in my opinion.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:44 PM
Ring of Honor

Better not hear no "I feel bad for the fans that aren't happy when we win" crap from Dabo

Last edited by jlcu91; 09-10-2016 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:50 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcu91 View Post
Better not hear no "I fell bad for the fans that aren't happy when we win" crap from Dabo
It's just a matter of time until we hear it. Never mind the whole playing to a standard thing that he mentions the rest of the time.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:54 PM
Two Deep

We just aren't a good football team right now. Van Smith is terrible out there and this play calling is atrocious. This offense should be wide open. We aren't using these top WRs and this great QB to the best of their ability
Old 09-10-2016, 04:56 PM
We Too Deep

Well at lest the heisman campaign is over for Watson. Maybe now he'll
Spend some time working on his game.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:59 PM
Ring of Honor

To be fair to Van I'm not sure why he's being put into so many man to man situations by Venables. That's not his strength.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:04 PM
TCI Staff

I'm not convinced Clemson "should" drop in the polls. Look around the country.

Ohio State is struggling with Tulsa, basically the same way Clemson was around halftime with Troy. Should they drop too?

Some teams in the top 10 actually lose games sometimes. Shouldn't they drop before teams that win, at least most of the time?

Florida State played half an FCS team today. Should they drop just because they didn't win by 100?

It's not like everyone else is going out there and lighting the world on fire while Clemson looks like garbage. Some perspective is really important here.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:12 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qualk View Post

Ohio State is struggling with Tulsa, basically the same way Clemson was around halftime with Troy. Should they drop too?

Some teams in the top 10 actually lose games sometimes. Shouldn't they drop before teams that win, at least most of the time?

Florida State played half an FCS team today. Should they drop just because they didn't win by 100?

It's not like everyone else is going out there and lighting the world on fire while Clemson looks like garbage. Some perspective is really important here.
That's all fine, but Clemson hasn't looked like the number two team in the country through the first two games. Ole miss with a loss looks more impressive then us, as does Notre Dame. For me, the polls really shouldn't come out until around week 3 so the voters can get a good gage on all the teams. Right now, we look like a team that should be ranked around 15. My point is I don't see anything wrong with shuffling the top 15 teams as we get a better picture of where teams stand.

Last edited by Cutigergrad04; 09-10-2016 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:26 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: Live from Death Valley - Clemson vs. Troy Thread

Best is the standard does not equal a 30-24 victory over Troy at home. To suggest otherwise is foolish or dishonest.

Last edited by Tiger80; 09-11-2016 at 12:30 AM.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:35 PM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger80 View Post
Best is the standard does not equal a 30-24 victory over Yroy at home. To suggest otherwise is foolish or dishonest.
I agree! I only caught the 2nd half. I was so disappointed.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:40 PM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger80 View Post
Best is the standard does not equal a 30-24 victory over Yroy at home. To suggest otherwise is foolish or dishonest.
You ever set a standard and fail to meet it? No one is suggesting Clemson played great today or that such a performance would be acceptable as "best". I just think they fell short.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:51 PM
Travel Team

Troy might have been the reason we didn't look so good today. Give them some credit.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:53 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
You ever set a standard and fail to meet it? No one is suggesting Clemson played great today or that such a performance would be acceptable as "best". I just think they fell short.
It's one thing to fall short and quite another to make a complete mockery of the slogan. It's not unusual for a team to be "off" early in the season, but today was atrocious. I saw so many offensive lineman completely whiff blocks today that I don't see how they can in good conscience say that they came even close to giving their best today.

I'm okay with results not being "best" all the time. Sometimes the ball doesn't bounce your way. Effort is something you can control 100% of the time and it certainly wasn't there today.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:56 PM
Clemson Insider - 2010 March Madness Champ

Quote:

Well all that may be true Qualk, BUT we aren't playing like the number 2 team in the country. I don't give a crap what everyone else is doing, we aren't playing like we own 2. No way to sugar coat it or say well so and so didn't do well either.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:04 PM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubarb1991 View Post
Well all that may be true Qualk, BUT we aren't playing like the number 2 team in the country. I don't give a crap what everyone else is doing, we aren't playing like we own 2. No way to sugar coat it or say well so and so didn't do well either.
I agree with this. It doesn't seem like it to me, either. This isn't a team that will make the playoff playing this way. My point is simply this: It's totally different to say "this isn't the #2 team in the nation" or "this team shouldn't be ranked any higher than 20" than it is to actually try to find 19 teams better, or 15, or even 10.

It seems to me that people are reacting to Clemson-centric information without looking at the broader scope of the nation. Ultimately, perhaps the greatest determining factor in a team's ranking is what other teams do. That doesn't jive with "control what you can control and good things will happen" (which I agree with) but it's true. Clemson could play like garbage the next two weeks, be 4-0, and be ranked second in the polls because no one else has proven worthy of taking that spot.

I hope that makes sense. It's been a long day lol
Old 09-10-2016, 07:23 PM
Ring of Honor

Sure. It matters a lot how all teams play. And there is a little bias here and there. But FSU and OSU are dominating their lesser opponents. So at best we may be 5 or 6.

I'm 100% for getting out of the top 5 and Heisman talk and seeing the team start to play at the talent level in three phases. After all, we were told enough leading up to the season to expect that. Even on ST. Where is it, though?
Old 09-10-2016, 09:31 PM
NFL Tiger

I would be more concerned if it were the defense struggling because with the new starters over there that other than a few players they don't have a track record to speak of. We know what this offense is capable of, both the players and the coaches. I have faith that they will get things sorted out sooner rather than later.

As for the playcalling I am hoping beyond hope that when Elliott and Scott break down the film from this game tomorrow that they see the plays that were there in the middle because there were times where a simple 3 step drop slant would have went for a big gain because Troy was selling out on the blitz and to contain the outside.

On special teams this week all I have to say is we are carrying five players with the punter designation on our roster, and Alex Spence punted in HS for a sixth option. If what we have seen in the best we can do then whomever is recruiting punters needs to be reassigned.