Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2014, 06:15 PM
Two Deep

Default Re: More on Controversial Call that Cost Tiger's No. 5 Seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by epifunny View Post
I love BB.....but it's the worst loss in Clemson history. I don't know but maybe the good ones have to have their albatross.

Dean Smith lost one to USuCk in the '69 ACC finals being up by 1 with 2 seconds to go, and having a 6'11" jumping against a 6'3".

John Wooden lost to NC State in the Final Four after being up by 11 in OT.

Rick Pittino got daggered by Christian Laettner.

Hank Iba gave the '72 Olympics to Russia.

Geez, now we don't look that bad.....
I don't think Coach Iba gave the 72 Olympics to the Russians. USA was just essentially screwed big time. The clock operator in that game was a joke like the clock operator at Duke a few years ago
Old 03-10-2014, 06:39 PM
Travel Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by epifunny View Post
I have beatched and moaned about Clemson basketball not getting the calls over the years, but this simply isn't one of those cases. Not even close....
But the fact is the ball was on the shooter's hand with the backboard lights on, at which point the game should have been over. Despite the fact that we bungled the last several seconds of the game, by the rules, the game was over and we should have won by the smallest of margins. The referees botched the call and as a result, we likely won't go to the NCAA tournament. This is completely a case where Clemson basketball didn't get the call. If we had executed well, it wouldn't be, but we didn't execute. Yet despite our ineptitude, Pitt did not get the shot off in time.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:58 PM
Clemson Insider - 2010 March Madness Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnindownthehill25 View Post
But the fact is the ball was on the shooter's hand with the backboard lights on, at which point the game should have been over. Despite the fact that we bungled the last several seconds of the game, by the rules, the game was over and we should have won by the smallest of margins. The referees botched the call and as a result, we likely won't go to the NCAA tournament. This is completely a case where Clemson basketball didn't get the call. If we had executed well, it wouldn't be, but we didn't execute. Yet despite our ineptitude, Pitt did not get the shot off in time.
Epi, I have to agree with runningdown! It was botched. I know what I saw and and what I "re saw" when I came home. Should we have been in the position for it to be that close, NO and I stated my feelings on that in another thread yesterday. Did the stars align for Pitt? Yes. Was the ACC "making up" for their outing that ended in their loss to the Cuse?!?!? Yea I think so

This loss will go down with the "clock malfunction" versus Duke and at the end of that day it cost the ACC getting 6 teams in the Dance,barring a miracle in G'boro. Keeping in mind some crappy #3 team from the SEC is going to take our place in the dance,,,which is the worst conference of "the bigs"
Old 03-10-2014, 08:00 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: More on Controversial Call that Cost Tiger's No. 5 Seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertownpc View Post
Had we done the *smart* thing and throw the ball to at least midcourt, this would have never been in the hands of the officials. We were the victim not of the officials, but our own stupidity.
Amen! The TV announcers said there were two different clocks that showed different times. One showed 0:00 while the other showed 0:01. Maybe whomever controls the clicks in Littlejohn is to blame.

Let's face it. We blew a nice lead. We have played far better than most people thought, but we are a good team but not a very good team.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:44 PM
Clemson Insider - 2010 March Madness Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger80 View Post
Amen! The TV announcers said there were two different clocks that showed different times. One showed 0:00 while the other showed 0:01. Maybe whomever controls the clicks in Littlejohn is to blame.

Let's face it. We blew a nice lead. We have played far better than most people thought, but we are a good team but not a very good team.
Should "we" have been in the position to even be discussing the damn in bounds pass? Hell no. But THAT doesn't discount a sh#tty game changing call for the love of God people!!!

Brad is the most even tempered guy I know outside of my husband. Wouldn't you agree Will, Coz and Qualk? The fact that he called the league over the call speaks volumes!! And for the record. My even tempered, logical Clemson engineer husband also agrees the call sucked.

Doesn't change anything but recognize it !!

Last edited by cubarb1991; 03-10-2014 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:08 PM
NFL Tiger

IMO it was the wrong call but anybody who has ever played or coached knows you only have yourself to blame if you let the game get to the point where an official's call effects the outcome of a game. We had ample opportunity to put this game away down the stretch and failed to do so. We also had he same opportunity in overtime to win the game as Pitt and failed to answer the bell. Because of both I have a really hard time placing the blame for out loss on the officials.