Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2014, 04:31 PM
Owner, Publisher

Default Re: Live from Doug Kingsmore - Virginia Tech Game 3

Tigers win 11-4
Old 03-09-2014, 04:33 PM
Tiger Starter

Another solid fundamental game from the Tigers. Little worried bout Long though; can't have 50/50 quality starts out of him on Sunday.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:45 PM
Tiger Starter

Seven of nine regulars now hitting over .300 for the season with Okey leading in RBI with 17 (.278 average). We keep that up and pitch and play defense like we're capable, and we can get on a serious roll.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:58 PM
Two Deep

What a difference a week makes! Way to rebound Tigers!
Old 03-09-2014, 11:46 PM
Banned

Great game for the Tigers today. Jake Long struggled a little, but Clate Schmidt was great in relief. For those that missed it, Clate's father Dwight presented the team with an American flag that had flown over Afghanistan since he was in town this weekend after returning from overseas. Clemson is very fortunate Chris Okey showed up and he's showing why he was so highly regarded coming out of HS. For the idiots that complain that Clemson can't hit because of a bad inning (or even at-bat) here or there, Clemson does lead the ACC in batting average. But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of a good bias.

I noticed that RockyMountainCoot's only comment came when Clemson failed to score with the bases loaded in the first. It's so obvious he hates it when Clemson has any success. I can't figure out why the moderators keep him around.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:52 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball fan View Post
I noticed that RockyMountainCoot's only comment came when Clemson failed to score with the bases loaded in the first. It's so obvious he hates it when Clemson has any success. I can't figure out why the moderators keep him around.
I noticed you weren't around much last week when we were losing. Nothing worse than a front-runner.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:00 PM
Banned

I'm not a "front runner". I just hate reading stupid comments from people that know little about baseball. RockyMountainCoot complained when Clemson had a fly-out with the bases loaded, but made no comment when Tyler Slaton made a beautiful running catch to strand the bases loaded for the Hokies. I'm one of the least emotional fans around, at least on message boards. It's a 56 game season and a few games in March don't have much of an impact on the season as a whole. Too many people look at baseball with football eyes and assume that just because a team doesn't come from a "BCS" conference that it isn't any good. There are plenty of top-notch baseball programs, especially out west, that don't come from the power conferences.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:36 PM
NFL Tiger

Games in March do have an impact on the season as a whole. So far this season we have played four games against decent teams and we are 0-4. If we don't improve upon that we are on the road for a regional and we know the long odds of advancing to the CWS when that happens.

We went 2-1 against a bad Eastern Michigan squad, swept a bad Maine squad, got swept by a very good South Carolina squad, lost to a good Western Carolina squad, and swept a bad Virginia Tech squad. That tells me we are 8-1 against teams we should beat and 0-4 against teams that are at worse as good as us. Pardon me if I don't thump my chest over sweeping a team we should have swept.

As for RockyMountainHigh, I have been familiar with him over several different message boards (AllSportsTalk and PSR primarily) for well over a decade. He's many things....a douche and jackass among them but he's not a coot. Now that I have defended the POS I feel the need to go take a shower.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:11 PM
Banned

How do you know how good any of those teams is? SC beat BROWN 1-0 on Sunday. If they are so good, then why did they struggle to score ONE RUN against a team that was playing its first series of the season? It took a 3-run homer in the 8th inning for SC to beat PC 4-0. Clemson has played a MUCH tougher schedule so far than SC has. I'm not impressed with all their shut-outs. Typical SC cupcake non-conference schedule outside of Clemson. Sorry, I don't subscribe to the "the sky is falling" mentality every time Clemson loses a game. And RockyMountainCoot IS a coot because he had to settle for going to SC since he didn't have the grades to get in Clemson. And that school in Columbia has been the University of Second Choice since my father was in HS in the mid 1950s.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:50 PM
NFL Tiger

Current Clemson opponent RPI

Eastern Michigan 158
Maine 161
South Carolina 4
Western Carolina 112
Virginia Tech 129

Average 113

Current South Carolina opponent RPI

Bucknell 109
Presbyterian 179
Eastern Kentucky 59
Clemson 56
Stetson 244
Brown 13

Average 110

Comparable schedule. One team is 15-0 the other is 9-5.

And trust me we know you don't subscribe to the sky is falling when we lose because you simply aren't around when we do. You wait until we win then come around with your "holier than thou" attitude and blind support of Leggett. You are a front runner, plain and simple. Around when times are good and scarce when things aren't. You sir are a joke.

As for the fact that RMH went to South Carolina making him a coot and your bashing of the school I will share this with you. My wife holds both a BA and MA from the University of South Carolina. She was accepted by a number of schools both in state and out of state. She went to USC-Columbia for a number of reasons, but primarily because they offered the degree program she wanted to follow and because her family moved out of state shortly after she graduated high school and she was on her own. South Carolina offered a far better financial package for her and she had somewhere to stay, two things that pretty much made it a no-brainer for someone who had to put themselves through school pretty much by themselves. Prior to going to college she was as unaffiliated as anyone can be. Her family was from out of state and only moved here because of her Dad's job. She didn't care one way or another who won between Clemson and South Carolina. It took going to three games as a student before she realized she wanted nothing to do with South Carolina athletics. She's been a huge Clemson fan ever since, and pretty much despises everything related to South Carolina athletics. You like to run your mouth, I dare you....no I plead with you....call my wife a coot because she has two degrees from the University of South Carolina. Tell her she is of lesser intelligence because of the school she chose. I would enjoy watching her slap you so hard your great-grandchildren are born with a nervous twitch. She's a better person than you a hundred times over.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:01 AM
Tiger Starter

I just laugh at Rob. Really.

Fire Jack Leggett and Dan Pepicelli.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:29 PM
Banned

I'm a joke because I don't want to read the garbage that idiots that know nothing about baseball write when they're in an emotional state? No, that makes me smart. I understand the nature of college baseball and that on any given night, anybody can beat anybody else. Losing to teams from non-BCS conferences isn't embarrassing. As I explained before, even though you ignored it, plenty of good baseball teams, especially out west, come from "mid-major" conferences. Why is it OK for someone to only post negative things, but not OK for someone to post positive things? I notice that RockyMountainCoot is all over Clemson when somebody flies out with runners on base (as if that doesn't happen in every level of baseball), but he fails to acknowledge the time a Clemson player makes a play that leaves the bases loaded for the other team (see Tyler Slaton's catch on Sunday). Unlike RockyMountainCoot, not only did I have the grades to get IN Clemson, I graduated from Clemson. For someone that went to SC because another school didn't have the right major, that's fine. My mother has a Master's degree from SC because we lived in Columbia and she could go there while she worked and earn a degree that advanced her career. Her undergrad degree is from Furman. And she has always been a Clemson supporter, especially after my brother and I went to school there.

I acknowledge that I'm not an athlete and I don't feel that it's necessary or appropriate for me to bash those people that CAN play D1 sports, unlike some people on here. I noticed that someone said that Jay Baum has the worst luck with hitting balls right at people for outs, but few people want to give Jon McGibbon the same consideration. He would have had a double the other day, but the LEFT fielder (yes, he hit the ball the other way) dropped the ball and it went down as an E7, dropping his batting average. If some people were more rational and less emotional, it would be much easier to read some of the things written here when things go badly.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:35 PM
NFL Tiger

I don't know anything about baseball?

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

I played baseball most of my life, even an adult league for a few years. When that was done with that I played softball up until the point my knees simply quit. I coached youth softball both in leagues and travel ball for over 12 years and won multiple state championships. I had just shy of 40 girls go on to play high school ball over the years, and 10 who went on to play college ball. I now have former players working as high school head and assistant coaches in SC, GA, and Alabama. I have a little more than a layman's knowledge of the sport.

What are your credentials? What makes you the self-appointed expert of college baseball?
Old 03-11-2014, 11:55 PM
Banned

How does coaching girls' travel softball make you an "expert" on college baseball? And I never claimed to be an expert, but I dare say I follow the sport more closely than 90+% of the members of this site. And plenty of uninformed posters make stupid comments after every time somebody makes a mistake or Clemson loses a game that poster thinks it shouldn't. Let me fill you in on a little history: In 1991, Clemson went to Omaha with a record of 60-8, arguably one of the finest teams Bill Wilhelm ever coached. That team came back from Omaha 60-10, losing to Creighton and Long Beach State, 2 teams from "mid-major" conferences. All of the losses going to Omaha came during the regular season. One of them came at the hands of Western Carolina in Cullowhee. A Western Carolina team that was coached by Jack Leggett. If a team that was THAT good could lose to Western in Cullowhee, what makes people think that this year's team can't? And maybe this team will go to Omaha, but it won't be with 60 wins because the 1991 team played in a couple of "exempt" tournaments that added games to the schedule. I just get tired of the unnecessary hysteria that follows every loss. South Carolina will lose games before the season is over; they won't go 56-0. And they won't keep their "remarkable" run of shut-outs going either. Pay attention to the scores of college baseball games and you'll discover that nearly every day teams lose games to "teams they shouldn't". Losing games like that doesn't make Clemson a bad team and it doesn't mean that the program has slipped. It doesn't mean that Jack Leggett has "lost it". It's just a part of college baseball.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:06 PM
NFL Tiger

Well since you are new around here after running away from Tigernet with your tail tucked between your legs you don't know my history. As long as I have posted here I have contended that we will never win a championship under Leggett because of his personality and the effect it has on the team. Just about every time we play a big game we spit he bit because Jack is wound up tighter than a garage door spring, and as a result the teams start to press. When you press you commit errors in the field and have trouble putting the ball in play.

His demeanor is a big reason why we have flamed out in spectacular fashion early in the playoffs the past few years. We dropped enough early games that we had pretty much a playoff atmosphere the last few weeks of the season and you could literally see the players burning out on the field. That's why it's important to win early non-con series, the last thing we want to do is have to win to be in, It has never ended well.

As for how does coaching help me understand the game, especially now that college baseball is more like softball because of the lack of offense. I have a serious problem with the fundamental errors I have been seeing for a couple years, not just this year. For a small ball team dependent on pitching and defense we don't do either very well, and really haven't for the past few years. When you play station to station baseball on offense you can't afford to give up easy runs on defense, and the past few years we have given up tons of easy runs and it has cost us more than just an isolated game here and there.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:27 PM
Banned

I stopped reading TigerNet because of the rampant negativity after every loss. I didn't "run away", I got tired of wading through pages of negative posts all saying the same thing. Every time Clemson would miss a shot in basketball, there would be three or four new threads complaining about it. I'm not one to complain about officiating. The end of the Pittsburgh game never should have been in the officials' hands. I don't complain about the format of the ACC baseball tournament because as long as a team doesn't lose, its destiny is completely in its own hands. If you don't want to have to worry about what somebody else does, then don't lose.

As for Jack Leggett, you obviously haven't been around the team not during a game. The players love coach Leggett and they cut up with him all the time during practice. Just because Clemson doesn't do all the stupid antics in the dugout like SC does doesn't mean that they're uptight. I really wish people would give over the 2002 College World Series. Yes, coach Leggett made a mistake by keeping all the players except Khalil Greene, the one that was the least comfortable with the media, away during that tournament. But that was 12 years ago, and it's time to get over it. How many times do I have to tell you that the team is NOT uptight? And I seem to remember winning the ACC in 2006, which wasn't all that long ago. Just shut up. And travel softball with 12 year old girls is NOTHING like D1 college baseball.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:24 PM
NFL Tiger

So sitting in the bleachers gives you a better idea of how things work than someone who has coached and played?

ELL OH ELL!