Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2019, 06:36 AM
Owner, Publisher

Default Will Georgia Tech be improved?

How long will it take GT's new coach to turn things around? Will they be better this year?
Old 08-13-2019, 07:38 AM
Travel Team

Default Re: Will Georgia Tech be improved?

Three years.
this year they might end with a winning record, but next year will be tougher.

UL is also gonna take much longer. Petrino (like Spurrier did at USuCk) left the cupboard bare...
Old 08-13-2019, 07:59 AM
NFL Tiger

Yes they will be better this year. They will be pretty good in 3.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:24 AM
Two Deep

I dont really see it. They may get there in a couple of years but:

1. A lot of GT's wins come due to teams lacking experience playing the option
2. A lot of their experienced players were recruited because they "fit" the option style offense
3. They do not yet have the talent for a standard type offense. They will have to recruit to that so the guys they do have will be young

An finally, I'm not sure the OL will figure out blocking without taking out the opponents knees

Just my humble opinion but we will see what they have in 2 weeks.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:11 AM
Ring of Honor

AJC or someone just had an article about the struggles they are having with the oline. I think they have multiple walk-ons in the 2-deep. Option QB running the spread. I'm sure they'll do some things to adjust to the roster they have now, but I wouldn't expect much in year one. That is a huge transition.

They'll probably suck this year and next...maybe some small improvement in year 3. I'm curious if the administration is going to help the program with getting more kids into school. They're in the middle of a recruiting hotbed.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:21 AM
Tiger Starter

Maybe not this year, but they will dominate some of the transfer market over the next few years. Lots of UGA/ dudes from GA wanting to stay close to home now have an option
Old 08-13-2019, 10:49 AM
NFL Tiger

They won't be very good this year... maybe they'll make it to 6 and 6, but probably more like 5 and 7 or worse.

PJ was able to surprise some folks over the years with that triple option, but eventually teams caught on... mainly the Tigers as BV figured out the recipe on how to stop it and teams had film from that to copy.

GT has great potential to be quite the juggernaut, with the right coach, some better facilities, etc. They sit in the hotbed of recruiting and the ATL should be a huge draw for players all over the south. I think they may have the right coach to get them back to being relevant. But, like others stated, it's going to take him 3-4 years to get his players, running his system. Then, if he wants to be able to actually compete with the Clemson and UGAs of the world, he's going to have to get them to upgrade their facilities... that's where they probably have the most catching up to do.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:22 PM
NFL Tiger

I thought GT was struggling with lots of Athletic Dept debt. I canít imagine how they can go on a big capital campaign like was needed 10yrs ago.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:06 AM
Owner, Publisher

If Tech could keep home some of those great recruits in Atlanta they should always be good but...
Old 08-14-2019, 09:01 AM
Tiger Starter

They won't be able to compete nationally until they get their financial house in order and improve facilities. They can be much better than they were under Johnson, but they are going to continue to be at a big disadvantage with their facilities. They still have lots of debt and because of the way the school works, with the admission of lots of international students that don't stay in the country upon graduation, they aren't left with a large alumni base that cares anything about sports.

They definitely have a geographic advantage, but they got their work cut out for them in providing the complete package for student athletes.