Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2021, 07:59 PM
Founder/Publisher

Default The Insider Report

It is time for this week's edition of The Insider Report.

We hope everyone had a good weekend.

Where will the Clemson-South Carolina game be played in 2021?

I know a lot of discussion has been on this topic since the SEC decided to cancel the 2020 game last August. Some of you, including some of us on the TCI staff, believe the 2021 game should be played in Clemson this year because the Tigers did not get the opportunity to host the Gamecocks at Death Valley.

Some believe the game should be played in Clemson this year and then return to its regular rotation next year, which means the game would be played at Death Valley in back-to-back years. Which seems fair considering Clemson had to play in Columbia every year for the first 57 meetings between the two rivals.

The game was called Big Thursday in those days and was played every third Thursday in October as part of the South Carolina State Fair. In 1960, the game was first played at Memorial Stadium in Clemson and became the traditional home-and-home series we know today.

However, TCI has learned the 2021 Clemson-South Carolina game will be played in Columbia this year. We were told the reason for the game staying in Columbia is because South Carolina cannot afford to lose the revenue the game will bring in.

It is a sad state of affairs considering it was the SEC who took away the Clemson-South Carolina game in 2020 because of the COVID pandemic. From what we gathered, Clemson approached the ACC, along with Georgia Tech, Louisville and Florida State, and requested the ACC add a plus-one to the schedule to keep the rivalry games. Because of the clout Clemson has built up on the football side of things within the league, the conference agreed to adding a plus-one for the 2021 season.

South Carolina, Florida, Georgia and Kentucky brought the same request to the SEC, but others in the conference, in particular Alabama, did not see any benefit for the SEC to play those games and they declined the request. Florida, Georgia and Kentucky did not fight for the extra game, but South Carolina stood by its vote and was the lone school to vote “yes” for a plus one model.

For the record, Clemson, Florida State and Louisville were supposed to host their in-state rivals last year.

More changes to Swinney’s staff expected

Last Friday, The Clemson Insider, along with other media outlets, confirmed former Clemson running back C.J. Spiller, who worked as a graduate assistant coach under Dabo Swinney this past season, will now move over to coach the running backs as an on-field assistant coach. In addition, offensive coordinator Tony Elliott will coach the tight ends. Elliott has been Swinney's running backs' coach since he first joined the staff in 2011.

Danny Pearman, who has coached the tight ends since Swinney became the Tigers' head coach in 2009, is taking over as an analyst coach. From what we have learned, Pearman is moving into a scouting role, which in addition to self-scouting, his duties will also include transfer portal evaluations.

Spiller’s hiring will be subject to the Board of Trustees approval on Feb. 4.

We have also learned Swinney will add more responsibilities to Thad Turnipseed, who right now is Clemson Football’s director of recruiting operations and external affairs. Turnipseed will also take on the role of director of player development and recruiting transition, which used to be the job of Kyle Richardson.

However, Swinney has moved Richardson back into analyst/player development role. From what we have been told, Swinney feels Richardson’s talents as a coach and evaluator can better be served in this position. Former Alabama quarterback Andrew Zow, who played for the Crimson Tide when Swinney was an assistant coach there, will fill the spot of another analyst/player development position.

Once things are finalized, Clemson could announce these changes as early as this week.

Some background on Spiller’s move to new running backs coach

From what we were told, the Monday after the Sugar Bowl loss to Ohio State, Swinney came in and requested these staff changes to be approved.

Swinney has tried to get Spiller on his staff since the Hall of Fame running back retired from the NFL a couple of years ago. At first Spiller declined the offers by Swinney, but slowly he started to make his way to practice more and more the last couple of years.

Though he did not officially join Swinney’s staff until this past season as a graduate assistant coach, Spiller has been a mentor to the running backs, especially Travis Etienne who just finished up his career, while breaking several of Spiller’s records.

Finally, when a graduate assistant job opened up on Swinney’s staff this summer, the Clemson head coach wasted no time reaching out to Spiller and getting him to agree to come on board. After watching how Spiller coached the running backs this season under Tony Elliott’s tutelage and how he handled himself in the Sugar Bowl when Elliott could not make trip, Swinney felt it was time to make a change and give Spiller an opportunity to coach the running backs as the on-field coach.

Unfinished Business

The team has adopted the message we used for one of our magazines a few years back, Unfinished Business. Now that all of the announcements are official the country knows how many Tigers are coming back to finish off their careers the right way, with a national championship.

We all saw what happened when three of the Power Rangers decided to return for one final season in 2018. With Justyn Ross, James Skalski, Xavier Thomas, Derion Kendrick, Nolan Turner, Justin Foster and Will Spiers all coming back the impact could be very similar to that when the Power Rangers came back. In fact the players coming back this year may have bigger impacts.

Ross takes the offense to a different level. The defense returns a future NFL corner, the quarterback of the defense, the quarterback of the secondary and two defensive ends that started the season in 2019 when the Tigers made it to the national championship game.

There are plenty of reasons for excitement in the offseason. Clemson has a chip on its shoulder and is hoping to finish next season with another championship.

Lawrence Heading West

TCI has learned that Trevor Lawrence will be going out west to train for the upcoming draft events. He will travel to California on Jan. 21.

Trevor is expected to be out in California for around five weeks.

Please do not copy or paste this information to any other media outlets. As you know TCI is Free so if you know someone that wants the information simply send them to The Rock.

Last edited by Will Vandervort; 01-19-2021 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:30 PM
Travel Team

Default Re: The Insider Report

Seems like Spiller jumped ahead of Richardson as an on field coach. I assume that would be Richardson's desired career path. I doubt he would get the OL job when Caldwell retires, and Grisham just got the WR job. That may mean he will have to wait on Elliot or Streeter to move on. He is supposed to have a good mind for offensive schemes.
Old 01-19-2021, 01:22 AM
Scholarship Player

I wondered if terry bowden try to hire spiller so dabo had to make a quick decision. We all have been waiting for dabo to put pearman in an admin role. Hopefully next will be caldwell. I wonder if dabo can keep hiring an inexperience staff(3 new coaches with no experiences) Before we had a mixture of guys that are experience added in some youth. Eventually it might hurt us.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:22 AM
Scholarship Player

The last thing I'd do is to 2nd guess Dabo. He not only has vision & backup plans for every possibility, he's also forgotten more about football than we'll ever know. I still pinch myself to make sure these past several years haven't been one continuous dream. From Coach Howard to Danny beating the shame cocks, winning the ACC & any bowl game was as good as it got & made for great & satisfying seasons. We've come a long way baby & us old Tigers are soaking up every enjoyable moment of this fantastic, dream like ride.
GO TIGERS !!!
Old 01-19-2021, 06:18 AM
Two Deep

+1
Old 01-19-2021, 07:18 AM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdtiger View Post
I wondered if terry bowden try to hire spiller so dabo had to make a quick decision. We all have been waiting for dabo to put pearman in an admin role. Hopefully next will be caldwell. I wonder if dabo can keep hiring an inexperience staff(3 new coaches with no experiences) Before we had a mixture of guys that are experience added in some youth. Eventually it might hurt us.
The answer is no. This had nothing to do with Terry Bowden. As the report says, Swinney has been wanting Spiller to join his staff for the last couple of years, but he had to wait for when Spiller was ready. Once he saw Spiller was, then he made the move.
Old 01-19-2021, 11:55 AM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selway View Post
Seems like Spiller jumped ahead of Richardson as an on field coach. I assume that would be Richardson's desired career path. I doubt he would get the OL job when Caldwell retires, and Grisham just got the WR job. That may mean he will have to wait on Elliot or Streeter to move on. He is supposed to have a good mind for offensive schemes.

Richardson will most likely fill Elliot's spot when he eventually moves on. Dabo probably needed to add another minority coach to the offense before that move could happen.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:00 PM
Founder/Publisher

Once Dabo convinced Spiller to jump into coaching you knew he would end up as the RB assistant at some point. The great thing about CJ is that he will be happy coaching at Clemson for as long as Dabo is here most likely. He won't have the desire like others to always be looking to move up to the next job.

Great move by Dabo.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:11 PM
NFL Tiger

CJ Spiller is the very definition of All In. I expect great things from the RB's with CJ in charge.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:08 PM
Two Deep

Could you imagine if the Board of Trustees did not approve CJ’s promotion? We as a fan base would march on the president’s mansion just like when Danny Ford was fired!
Old 01-19-2021, 10:10 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubbinRock View Post
Richardson will most likely fill Elliot's spot when he eventually moves on. Dabo probably needed to add another minority coach to the offense before that move could happen.
Curious as to why you think Richardson will be in line for OC? Seems to be a stretch to go from a staff position to an OC spot
Old 01-20-2021, 02:37 PM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Curious as to why you think Richardson will be in line for OC? Seems to be a stretch to go from a staff position to an OC spot
Richardson would likely move up to a position coach, which is what I think he is talking about. Like being the tight ends coach. Streeter will likely by the new OC in that scenario.
Old 01-20-2021, 03:27 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by geech72 View Post
Could you imagine if the Board of Trustees did not approve CJ’s promotion? We as a fan base would march on the president’s mansion just like when Danny Ford was fired!
I think it was Robert that addressed this the best

That will be the shortest BoT meeting in history.

All in favor "AYE"
Al opposed *crickets*

Coach Spiller it is... who's up for ice cream?
Old 01-21-2021, 01:14 AM
Travel Team

How come no one is concern with the path dabo going with hiring his inexperience assistants to full time staff position? If richardson does replace te then that is 4 in a row that have been promoted to full time staff. Alabama goes out and hires best assistant available. I guess that is how saban is able to win evey yr while losing 3 to 4 assistants without missing a beat. Sure i like it that dabo reward his assistant but a team with a bunch of inexperience assistant i think would be a disadvantage.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:47 AM
Travel Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdtigers View Post
How come no one is concern with the path dabo going with hiring his inexperience assistants to full time staff position? If richardson does replace te then that is 4 in a row that have been promoted to full time staff. Alabama goes out and hires best assistant available. I guess that is how saban is able to win evey yr while losing 3 to 4 assistants without missing a beat. Sure i like it that dabo reward his assistant but a team with a bunch of inexperience assistant i think would be a disadvantage.
In the surface less experience leads to bad results makes sense, but Clemson is still winning ACCCG and getting into CFP. The sting of a CFP loss causes a lot of questions, but Dabo has proven he can get it done. The time may come when he isn’t, but until then have to trust his process.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:27 AM
Founder/Publisher

Dabo like to have Clemson guys at Clemson when he can. They bring a different passion for the school to the job and it helps with recruiting.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:07 AM
Travel Team

I agree with the young coaches can recruit. I also think that having maybe 30% of staff being inexperience is ok if they are surrounded by veteran excellent coaches. If richardson get promoted 50% will be promoted from within. I think we can win acc just on talent alone until fsu get back to where they once was under b bowden. I forgot mickey. Conn is another one that got promoted. Losing great experience coaches like brooks and marion hooby had to to make a difference but i am not an football expert but heard they both were well respected. Time will tell if losing jeff scott will hurt the wr development. I just think out talenting our acc opponent can mask any lack of coaching and development if any until we reach the playoff to face teams like ohio st and alabama both recruiting at an insane level. I have to admit after the blowout loss to ohio st i have been trying to figure out what went wrong. Our defense was so dominating against nd and rest of acc when we were healthy but look out class against ohio st.

Last edited by luvdtigers; 01-21-2021 at 09:20 AM.