Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2021, 08:32 PM
TCI Staff

Default Another defensive starter decides to return

https://theclemsoninsider.com/2021/0...des-to-return/
Old 01-17-2021, 08:45 PM
Founder/Publisher

Default Re: Another defensive starter decides to return

I have known this one for a while as you could tell from some of my posts. When I heard Skalski was coming back the day after the Sugar I was told that he wanted to room with Turner.

How about having all 11 starters back on defense.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:08 PM
NFL Tiger

I guess the question now is will they all hold onto their starting positions. Spring competition should be fun to watch.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:43 PM
Travel Team

I dont think having 11 starters back that looks like the defense against ohio st will be a good thing. I hope the coaches really evaluate the breakdown on defense against ohio st and make necessary personnel changes if needed. Any ex football coach knows which position on offense and defense need open competition for next yr? I think on offense the starter that should keep their jobs are (5 open spots)
Oline - brockhorst, mcfadden, parks(open 2)
Qb - DJ
Rb- (open1)
Wr- ross(open 2)
Te- galloway or davis allen
Defense(3 open spots)
DE - (foster or xt or kj henry) and murphy
Dt- bresee and davis
Lb- skalski, jones- not sure?(open 1)
Safety(open 2)
Cb- kendrick and booth

Guys i love to win starting job trenton simpson at lb, malcom greene at safety, shipley or mahfa(sp) if healthy. I dont see any current player we can call elite at the rb position.

Last edited by luvdtigers; 01-17-2021 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:58 AM
Ring of Honor

I believe the spring camp will level out the depth chart. There are some young players that will move from the scout team and put good competitive pressure on the two deep from this season.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:10 AM
NFL Tiger

I recall the 2015 season when we had a 4/5* 6-4ish safety who had all the athletic ability in the world. Unfortunately he was often out of position and gave up many big plays. It was either feast or famine with him. While Turner gets beat occasionally by a superior athlete, he is almost always in the right position and IIRC is the highest graded player on the D last year. Of the two choices I would take the player always in the right position.

I also believe our young players will assert themselves and see a lot more playing time this year.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:51 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
I recall the 2015 season when we had a 4/5* 6-4ish safety who had all the athletic ability in the world. Unfortunately he was often out of position and gave up many big plays. It was either feast or famine with him. While Turner gets beat occasionally by a superior athlete, he is almost always in the right position and IIRC is the highest graded player on the D last year. Of the two choices I would take the player always in the right position.

I also believe our young players will assert themselves and see a lot more playing time this year.
Yeah I don't know why there's been a lot of backlash against Turner this offseason. I definitely didn't feel like he was the weakest link of the defensive secondary. The only real bad play I remember with him was the bad angle he had against ND on a long TD run. And I'd certainly take him over some of the safeties we've had recently.

The other safety spot however needs a lot of work. Same with backup Mike backer. Jake played hard and is a solid tackler but always seemed a bit slow to be the first guy off the bench at that spot, IMO. Thought Maguire and Patterson were much better when on the field.

Overall though I'm excited with our defense for 2021. Experience matters and I think a lot of those guys were thinking and not playing. I doubt that'll be the case as often next year
Old 01-18-2021, 09:56 AM
The Gambler - Charter Member - Clemson Insider - Gate Veteran

This is great news! He always seems to be in the right place. Our D should nasty next season!
Old 01-18-2021, 12:11 PM
Travel Team

Angry Re: Another defensive starter decides to return

How did turner do against ohio st in second half? I stop watching early third quarter. I saw some posters mentioned he got beat by oclave bad but not sure if it is true or not. If true that is the reason i am concerned. Turner speed might be sufficient against acc foes but not against ohio st and alabama speedy receivers. If safeties on team have higher upside should get plenty of pt during season so they are ready at end of season. I wonder if that the case with alabama this past yr. They look awful beginning of the year but got better at the end.

Last edited by luvdtigers; 01-18-2021 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:34 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdtigers View Post
How did turner do against ohio st in second half? I stop watching early third quarter. I saw some posters mentioned he got beat by oclave bad but not sure if it is true or not. If true that is the reason i am concerned. Turner speed might be sufficient against acc foes but not against ohio st and alabama speedy receivers. If safeties on team have higher upside should get plenty of pt during season so they are ready at end of season. I wonder if that the case with alabama this past yr. They look awful beginning of the year but got better at the end.
How did DK do against Ohio? Think he got beat several times and was a 5* with excellent speed
Old 01-18-2021, 01:10 PM
NFL Tiger

You know we are getting spoiled when we are discussing a second team all American being a weak link.
Old 01-18-2021, 01:41 PM
Travel Team

Iím happy heís coming back because we need all the depth and experience we can get. Heís just someone who would not be starting at Bama or OSU, which speaks volumes...
Old 01-18-2021, 01:53 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy2402 View Post
You know we are getting spoiled when we are discussing a second team all American being a weak link.
2nd team all American??
Old 01-18-2021, 02:20 PM
The Gambler - Charter Member - Clemson Insider - Gate Veteran

Yes he was a 2nd team All American player this past season. I don't understand some of yall. Lose one or two games and the sky is falling.
Old 01-18-2021, 02:50 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezmrin View Post
Yes he was a 2nd team All American player this past season. I don't understand some of yall. Lose one or two games and the sky is falling.
I am not at trying to sound like I am not happy that he's coming back. I just didn't realize that he was a second team all american was my point and question.
Old 01-18-2021, 02:55 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMITH2554 View Post
I am not at trying to sound like I am not happy that he's coming back. I just didn't realize that he was a second team all american was my point and question.
I think was Sporting News 2nd team, but might be wrong on that.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:17 PM
Travel Team

2nd team acc but not draftable doesnt mean crap.
Just mean he is big fish in small pond(acc) If he is good as u say then he should be 1st or second day draft pick. Yes kendrick did have a very bad game against ohio st. With him it is mental and can be fix. If cant then he should be Replace too. I only base that he is good on him projecting 1st rd grade early in the yr. Even with skalski i wonder if he is draftable. He is very good lb for us but maybe team like ohio st and alabama can expose his weakness more which is his lack of speed and coverage skills. Look i love the effort of these players but similarly with kelly bryant they might not be able to help us win a championship with. These last two yrs shown we are good enough to get to playoff but cant win it all because we cant matchup against team loaded in talent.

Last edited by luvdtigers; 01-18-2021 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:25 PM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpawgt View Post
I think was Sporting News 2nd team, but might be wrong on that.
Turner was a second-team All-American according to USA Today in 2020.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:25 PM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMITH2554 View Post
It is in my story, which is linked to this thread.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:18 PM
Travel Team

Sorry he is 2nd team all american in all conferences and not just the acc. I was wrong. I guess i am just trying to see how we can fix our defense so we dont get blown out like the last two yrs. It is very fustrating. I rather us lose in a close competitive game then to get blown out. There is no way ohio st should have beaten us that bad base on how they play all yr.