Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2019, 01:35 PM
TCI Staff

Default Aaf?

For those that watched the new Alliance of American Football League over the weekend, what are your thoughts?

I saw some of the inaugural game Saturday night but couldn't really get into it. I will probably watch some more here and there when I need to get my football fix but can't see myself following the league very closely.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:16 PM
Owner, Publisher

Default Re: Aaf?

I didn't watch a second
Old 02-11-2019, 04:42 PM
NFL Tiger

The easiest gig in professional football is an AAF placekicker.

No extra points. No kickoffs. All you gotta do is kick an occasional field goal, and maybe hold somebody's clipboard.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:04 PM
Ring of Honor

I watched (well they were on) portions of 3 of the 4 games (I didn’t see Orlando/Atlanta). I’d say the play resembles college level play more than the NFL. Generally speaking the QB play wasn’t very good, neither were the OL (despite rules that limits the # of players that can rush the QB). Maybe over time the player will get in better shape which will improve the product on the field.

My guess is it may survive b/c it fills a whole for some football fans and in fact may end up being affiliated with the NFL as a “developmental league”. The salary and expense structure is conducive to its success.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:04 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelongstroke View Post
The easiest gig in professional football is an AAF placekicker.

No extra points. No kickoffs. All you gotta do is kick an occasional field goal, and maybe hold somebody's clipboard.
I would love to see PAT’s done in a way reminiscent to the rugby kicks [long distance from a crazy angle, enjoyable to watch].
Old 02-11-2019, 05:07 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerphins View Post
I would love to see PAT’s done in a way reminiscent to the rugby kicks [long distance from a crazy angle, enjoyable to watch].
Make 'em drop kick it
Old 02-11-2019, 05:13 PM
NFL Tiger

The game I watched was the Atlanta/Orlando game.

Despite the Ole Ball Sack looking and sounding like he had hit the keg before coming out, I rather enjoyed the game.

The outright best aspect of the broadcast was listening to the replay official actually work thru the images and make a decision- in real time. So many times, we have no idea what in tarnation is going on in that booth. It is highly refreshing to hear the rationale behind the call as it is being made.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:04 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Make 'em drop kick it
That’d be fantastic.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:06 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
The game I watched was the Atlanta/Orlando game.

Despite the Ole Ball Sack looking and sounding like he had hit the keg before coming out, I rather enjoyed the game.

The outright best aspect of the broadcast was listening to the replay official actually work thru the images and make a decision- in real time. So many times, we have no idea what in tarnation is going on in that booth. It is highly refreshing to hear the rationale behind the call as it is being made.
Not to stay on a rugby rant here but you should check out one of the 6 Nations Championship games this weekend and listen to their refs. It’s pretty neat.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:15 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerphins View Post
Not to stay on a rugby rant here but you should check out one of the 6 Nations Championship games this weekend and listen to their refs. It’s pretty neat.
In order to appreciate that, I fear I would need a much greater understanding of the rules of rugby.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:46 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
In order to appreciate that, I fear I would need a much greater understanding of the rules of rugby.
Hey, I just turned on the first match I’ve seen in a longggg time. My understanding is pretty minimal. Once you listen to them talk, you know what I mean.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:32 PM
NFL Tiger

We had a busy weekend so I didn't get to see any of the games but talking with a couple of people who did and said that while it's different they liked it I might give it a try if it's on and I'm not doing anything. They also mentioned the fact that there was some sloppy play but they believe as teams gel it will get better. One thing to remember is this wasn't designed to compete with the NFL, it's always been designed as more of a developmental league so to expect NFL quality is unfair.

I can see getting into this more than I have ever been able to get into Arena Football.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:47 AM
TCI Staff

I didn't watch it. I saw some highlights and that is it.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:38 AM
NFL Tiger

I watched a bit of 2 games and thought the level of play was pretty good. Most of the names and logos/uniforms were awful tho. Considering NFL Network is airing it, there's obviously a tie in. I think there's a good chance several players from the AAF will end up on NFL rosters at some point next season. I would like to see it succeed as a developmental league. I don't like eliminating so much of the Kicking. Hard to call it football if you take the foot out of it.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:04 PM
Travel Team

I watched the Orlando/Atlanta game mostly because of Spurrier. They might be on to something if they keep the coaches mic'd up and get them to clean up the cursing so they don't have to bleep everything. Spurrier telling his QB to tell the receiver to "catch it this time" was pretty funny.

the football wasn't great; the QB's were pretty bad; but most have been out of football for a while so maybe by week 3 or 4 the competition will be better.