Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2021, 06:54 AM
Ring of Honor

Default ACC TV deal

So this 12 playoff got DRad out into the open for comment. One interesting comment was that Jim Phillips has a new TV contract high on his priorities list. So is this an early admission that the deal with ESPN is never going to work? We see the quality of ESPNís investment in it daily, and we know itís not generating a comparable revenue to the other conferences. Second thing is that he linked the Irish joining as a football member as a basis to get a new deal.

So now along comes Swarbrick signing onto a playoff setup that excludes the Irish from a bye week? Doesnít this signal the longer plan that the ACC and ND have in the works? When does the NBC deal end with the Irish? Also, isnít NBC shutting down their NBCSports network? Lots of interesting things to keep your eyes on.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:26 AM
TCI Staff

Default Re: ACC TV deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpawgt View Post
So this 12 playoff got DRad out into the open for comment. One interesting comment was that Jim Phillips has a new TV contract high on his priorities list. So is this an early admission that the deal with ESPN is never going to work? We see the quality of ESPNís investment in it daily, and we know itís not generating a comparable revenue to the other conferences. Second thing is that he linked the Irish joining as a football member as a basis to get a new deal.

So now along comes Swarbrick signing onto a playoff setup that excludes the Irish from a bye week? Doesnít this signal the longer plan that the ACC and ND have in the works? When does the NBC deal end with the Irish? Also, isnít NBC shutting down their NBCSports network? Lots of interesting things to keep your eyes on.
You bring up a lot of good points and we have some of those answers that I will be writing about in the days to come.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:12 AM
NFL Tiger

I occasionally surf the message boards of other teams. The ND fans are a privileged bunch who believe ND is a special class of blue blood elite. They don't want to join a conference with regular (non elite) schools. They love their "national" schedule.

I think the 12 team deal puts them at a slight disadvantage in terms of a bye but is much better for them in getting in the playoff vs. an 8 team arrangement.

I would not hold my breath in terms of waiting on them to join the ACC or any conference.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:19 AM
NFL Tiger

Everything I have seen from ND folks is pretty much that this cements their independence. They love the fact that for their 13th data point they will likely be hosting a lower seed in South Bend in the first round rather than coming to Charlotte to get bludgeoned by Clemson in the ACCCG.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:37 AM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy2402 View Post
Everything I have seen from ND folks is pretty much that this cements their independence. They love the fact that for their 13th data point they will likely be hosting a lower seed in South Bend in the first round rather than coming to Charlotte to get bludgeoned by Clemson in the ACCCG.
Yep. I just heard that take on ESPNU radio. Itís a strong argument. However, DRad is always careful with what he says publicly. He specifically mentioned the role of ND to get a renegotiated tv contract. The ACC desperately needs a tv network do over to try to avoid falling farther behind the other conferences. No way ESPN even takes a phone call from Phillips on this topic unless he has something of value to offer.