Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2020, 10:42 AM
Two Deep

Default Clemson Recruiting 2022

With the news of two commitments for our 2022 recruiting haul, it seemed appropriate to start a thread for the prospects in that class.

So far, Clemson has extended 41 offers. We are in on several elite talents and only one has committed to another school.

We currently have two highly ranked offensive tackles on board. That makes for an exciting start considering that is a position where we struck out on our top two targets in the 2021 class. This is also an exciting year in that the are five South Carolina kids in the top-250. It’s nice to be able to get some local elite talent.

We have a lot of irons in the fire but I see 12 guys right off the bat that I would put as top targets. Obviously, this list will expand as our board matures. All that being said, the following is my early wishlist:

Ty Simpson QB 4* - TN
Trevor Etienne RB 4* - LA
Adam Randall WR 4* - SC
Jaleel Skinner TE 4* - SC
Collin Sadler OL 4* - SC (Committed 10/28)
Blake Miller OL 4* - OH (Committed 11/2)
Travis Shaw DT 5* - NC
Enai White DE 5* - PA
Jalon Walker LB 4* - NC
Jaheim Singletary CB 5* - FL
Jeadyn Lukus CB 5* - SC
Keon Sabb S 5* - NJ

Last edited by BloodTiger; 11-03-2020 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-03-2020, 11:11 AM
Travel Team

Default Re: Clemson Recruiting 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodTiger View Post
With the news of two commitments for our 2022 recruiting haul, it seemed appropriate to start a thread for the prospects in that class.

So far, Clemson has extended 41 offers. We are in on several elite talents and only one has committed to other schools.

We currently have two highly ranked offensive tackles on board. That makes for an exciting start considering that is a position where we struck out on our top two targets in the 2021 class. This is also an exciting year in that the are five South Carolina kids in the top-250. Its nice to be able to get some local elite talent.

We have a lot of irons in the fire but I see 12 guys right off the bat that I would put as top targets. Obviously, this list will expand as our board matures. All that being said, the following is my early wishlist:

Ty Simpson QB 4* - TN
Adam Randall WR 4* - SC
Enai White DE 5* - PA
Travis Shaw DT 5* - NC
Jalon Walker LB 4* - NC
Jeadyn Lukus CB 5* - SC
Keon Sabb S 5* - NJ
Thanks Blood, always great to see your recruiting articles. Shaw is high on my wish list. I saw where Skinner is a heavy lean to USC. Any truth to that rumor?
Old 11-03-2020, 11:13 AM
The Gambler - Charter Member - Clemson Insider - Gate Veteran

That is going to be the really small class though right depending on how many people take that free year?
Old 11-03-2020, 11:22 AM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
Thanks Blood, always great to see your recruiting articles. Shaw is high on my wish list. I saw where Skinner is a heavy lean to USC. Any truth to that rumor?
Right now we have the 247 crystal balls for him. I have heard that he does like SCAR as well but you have to think, unless he grew up a diehard fan, we are the best situation for him.

It will be interesting to monitor.
Old 11-03-2020, 11:28 AM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezmrin View Post
That is going to be the really small class though right depending on how many people take that free year?
According to my roster tracker, we have 15 juniors on the roster.

In a normal year, with attrition and early departures, I’d forecast us to take between 18-22 kids.

However, COVID has really thrown a monkey wrench in the scholarship numbers for 2022 with the free year of eligibility. We will have to see what happens on multiple fronts:
1) Will the NCAA allow more than 85 scholarships for next season? If so, what will the added number be.
2) How many of our current juniors will stay with the program an additional year in what would have been their last year of eligibility?

Not even the coaches know the answer to those questions. Roster management is going to be a huge topic of emphasis going into next year.

Will be fun to watch.
Old 11-03-2020, 12:35 PM
NFL Tiger

Players may have an extra year of eligibility but once they graduate there is no rule mandating Clemson honor an extra year unless they are needed. they may need to transfer in order to play the extra year.

At least this is how I understand the rules/process.
Old 11-03-2020, 03:39 PM
Travel Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodTiger View Post

So far, Clemson has extended 41 offers. We are in on several elite talents and only one has committed to another school.

We currently have two highly ranked offensive tackles on board. That makes for an exciting start considering that is a position where we struck out on our top two targets in the 2021 class. This is also an exciting year in that the are five South Carolina kids in the top-250. Its nice to be able to get some local elite talent.

Ty Simpson QB 4* - TN
Adam Randall WR 4* - SC
Travis Shaw DT 5* - NC
Enai White DE 5* - PA
Jalon Walker LB 4* - NC
Jeadyn Lukus CB 5* - SC
Keon Sabb S 5* - NJ

QB- I think we need to wait to see some more film. Not sure Klubnik doesn't have the higher ceiling. I like Simpson, but he almost plays against some "Gunner Stockton-esque" competition.

WR- I like Randall, but we are starting to see speed become more important. Hurts losing out on Burton.

TE- I really want Jake Johnson, but he is going to LSU. I worry about Skinner not wanting to block, lie Galloway. I think I would rather have Oscar Delp. I think he is another Davis Allen type TE and has a Clemson conneciton.

OL- how can you put Gunner Giens on there as our third take???

S- I love Keon Sabb, but really want Malaki Starks (and he has a clemson connection, just need to get him to campus)

CB- instead of Singeltary, i think we should look closer at domani Jackson out of California.. or flip travis hunter from the Noles
Old 11-03-2020, 03:52 PM
Two Deep

Maybe wishlist was the wrong word. This is a list of players who we have offered to date, who I feel fit our program, playing style and have reciprocated interest. This does not mean we are getting all of these guys but, at this point in time, the staff feels pretty good about each of them.

On a couple of your comments:
- Even though Klubnik has unofficially visited, he still does not have an offer.
- Burton is going to commit to OSU soon. I'm sure another slot receiver offer is in the works.
- Disagree, I love Skinner's athleticism in our system. Blocking TE are easier to find lower in the rankings. 6-5 215 freaks don't grow on trees.
- We already have 2 OL committed and Gunner is a project. Despite his high rating, he has never played the position. Low on my priority list at this time.
- Starks is going to be difficult to pull from UGA but we've heard that before. Would love to land him. Feeling more love from Sabb.
- Domani is a heavy lean to OSU. Daylen Everette (FL) is another option at CB or Larry Turner-Gooden out of CA.

Good discussion though. Thanks for weighing in.

Last edited by BloodTiger; 11-03-2020 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:42 AM
Two Deep

With the impending decision of our top QB target, it seemed like a good time to update the recruiting big board for our class of 2022.

By my count, we only have 10 seniors (not including the 7 that returned for the extra COVID year) on roster but with attrition and early draft departures we always target a larger number. This year, there is the added wildcard of the optional COVID additional year and if the NCAA will do anything with scholarship numbers. Dabo has indicated anywhere from 15-18 as the class size in prior interviews so, regardless, it will be another smaller one.

As with last season, I have broken the uncommitted targets into two categories. The "good position" group are ones that have either gone on record saying Clemson is in their top-3 or have indicated we are in the top grouping. The "others" group are guys that we have made primary targets but have several other top programs pushing for them as well.

Since QB is the next big move that will be made, let's stay there today. Ty Simpson continues to be our primary focus. He will commit at a ceremony at his high school on 2/26 after postponing due to the winter weather this week. Clemson has positioned itself at the top here but while the majority of the predictions currently favor us, there are a lot of rumors that Alabama is making a move and there is still an outside shot he picks his home state dumpster fire Tennessee.

If Ty were not to pick us, we only have one other offer out there at the moment with Braden Davis from Delaware and there doesn't seem to be a lot of buzz around him at the moment. The chatter seems to indicate that, if we had to go in another direction, a new offer would go out to Cade Klubnik from Austin, TX. He has indicated he is very high on us in interviews and even came for an unofficial visit for the Syracuse game in October. He would be quite the consolation prize if it works out that way.

It will be interesting to see the dominoes fall next Friday.

With that being said, below is the updated tracking list. So far, we have only lost one player from my initial "wishlist" in cornerback Jaheim Singletary who pledged to Ohio State.

Current Commitments (3)
Adam Randall WR 4* (Committed 12/25)
Blake Miller OL 4*
Collin Sadler OL 4*

In Good Position to Land Commitment (10)
Ty Simpson QB 4* (Committing 2/26)
Trevor Etienne RB 4*
Jaleel Skinner TE 4* (Top-12 Twitter Oct)
Gunner Givens OL 5* (Top-6 Twitter Nov)
Travis Shaw DT 5* (Top-13 Twitter Sep)
Jihaad Campbell DE 4* (Top-12 Twitter Aug)
Jalon Walker LB 4* (Top-6 Twitter Nov)
Jeadyn Lukus CB 5*
Daylen Everette CB 4* (Top-12 Twitter Jan)
Keon Sabb S 5* (Top-12 Twitter Nov)

Others Strongly Considering (10)
Brenen Thompson WR 4*
Walter Nolen DT 5*
Gabriel Brownlow-Dindy DT 5*
Enai White DE 5* (Top-13 Twitter Nov)
Shemar Stewart DE 5* (Top-10 Twitter Dec)
Kenyatta Jackson DE 4* (Top-12 Twitter June)
Daniel Martin LB 4*
TJ Dudley LB 4* (Top-6 Twitter July)
Nikai Martinez CB 4*
Larry Turner-Gooden DB 4*

Removed from Consideration (1)
Jaheim Singletary CB 5* (Committed to OSU)
Old 02-17-2021, 10:53 AM
Travel Team

247 now has Skinner 70% Gators...
Old 02-17-2021, 11:03 AM
Two Deep

Interesting. The Kyle Pitts factor helped lure Arik Gilbert to them as well.

Will be fun to follow but Id still say were in the top-3. We definitely havent utilized our TEs as primary targets since Leggett but hopefully well show more this season. Briningstool will be a weapon.
Old 02-17-2021, 02:54 PM
NFL Tiger

Ohio St is really cleaning up this cycle already.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:28 PM
Travel Team

We are currently sitting at 17th, one spot ahead of Cincy...
Old 02-18-2021, 11:22 AM
Travel Team

Blood, how would you compare Simpson to our previous run of QBs? Weve been ridiculously spoiled with our success at this position, and was wondering if the trend will continue. I see him more as a Hunter Johnson type, which I hope I am wrong at...
Old 02-18-2021, 04:05 PM
Two Deep

Unfortunately, Im right there with you on that assessment. Watching him on tape he displays all the tools but he plays in a lower league in Tennessee which is already not considered a football powerhouse. He does play for a high level 7-on-7 squad but thats football without the pressure. I think the questions about his level of competition, size and if his athleticism will translate to big time college football are legitimate. On the other hand, his offer list speaks for itself.

This is the second year in a row where the QB position appears so be a bit down overall. The one guy who looks like a no brainer 5* comparable to TLaw or DJU is Quinn Ewers. Our coaches decided not to offer him even though he publicly spoke about being interested in us. This is a case where we just have to trust the coaches and maybe he wasnt the program fit we look for.

Long story short, Ill be happy if Ty selects us next Friday as he was our clear #1 target but, if he doesnt, it may be a blessing in disguise that we end up with Klubnik.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:05 AM
Travel Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezmrin View Post
Seems like we have a small class every year. Really hurts when players dont live up to their hype, which hurts our depth.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:13 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Blood, how would you compare Simpson to our previous run of QBs? Weve been ridiculously spoiled with our success at this position, and was wondering if the trend will continue. I see him more as a Hunter Johnson type, which I hope I am wrong at...
maybe a Hunter Johnson but could also be a Kyle Parker. Certainly better than KB2 but likely not a DW4 or a TLaw. At this point no one really knows until he gets on campus and is stressed in the pocket. So many variables....
Old 02-19-2021, 10:24 AM
Two Deep

Quote:
Seems like we have a small class every year. Really hurts when players don’t live up to their hype, which hurts our depth.
That’s just a perception. We take what we have available and that goes in cycles.
2021 - 19
2020 - 23
2019 - 29
2018 - 17

We are four years removed from the 2018 class which included TLaw so it makes sense we are taking a similar number. By my roster tracker, we currently have 20 juniors on roster (class of 2019) so we will be taking a large class of 2023.

We definitely don’t take 25 every year like Bama or UGA but we also don’t “process” kids like they do, essentially kicking them out of the program for no reason other than they didn’t live up to their ranking. We try to continue to develop our players and honor their scholarship as long as they are working hard. Where would we have been this last season without Cornell Powell? He would have been long gone if we used the Dawgs approach.

I do get it goes the other way with someone like LeAnthony Williams that never pans out but overall, I would rather do it the way we do. We back up what we say we are going to do during the recruiting pitch and can stand behind our word. I think that goes a long way in this day and age and is why we get so many of the caliber of players we do. Kids are drawn to it.

Last edited by BloodTiger; 02-22-2021 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-20-2021, 03:04 PM
Travel Team

The more I see of Klubnik, the more I like him. Has that Mayfield/Rattler swagger. Would be fun to watch. Same high school as Brees and Foles. Stay tuned...
Old 02-21-2021, 09:20 AM
Founder/Publisher

Blood does a good job with this thread.