Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2021, 03:27 PM
Founder/Publisher

Default What do you think about Notre Dame not being eligible for bye

In new 12 team playoff because they aren't part of a conference. I expect everyone likes that.
Old 06-10-2021, 03:31 PM
Ring of Honor

Default Re: What do you think about Notre Dame not being eligible for bye

I guess there is a silver lining in the dung cloud.
Old 06-10-2021, 04:21 PM
Founder/Publisher

Man I knew Stroke would answer this one. Now I'm just waiting on Barb.
Old 06-10-2021, 04:26 PM
Ring of Honor

It will change. The top 6 conference champions won’t be the top 6 seeds - that would preclude multiple sec teams from getting a bye. ND will be eligible for a bye if the 12-team model passes.

Last edited by TX Tiger; 06-10-2021 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-10-2021, 04:30 PM
NFL Tiger

I am for anything that doesn't give ND special treatment. And yes, IMO they need to join a conference or do without.
Old 06-10-2021, 04:30 PM
Ring of Honor

The conference has given Notre Dame far more over the course of their "cooperation" than ND has given the conference. Last football season, they finally paid some of it back.

The only way they can get one of those four "premium" spots at the table is if they join in football full time... sounds like karma to me.

Wait until ND has another undefeated regular season, and they are placed as the 5th seed in the playoff. They will still say they don't want to be in a conference because they never have- but they will also complain about the extra game if they don't win the title.

It's entitlement, and ND is the "Karen" of college football.
Old 06-10-2021, 07:13 PM
Ring of Honor

I thought that 5+1 G5 conferences were guaranteed a spot, not a location on the spots. That would be a complete reversal of a committee picking the “best” teams per the current mantra. I think they will slot the teams in order then bump a team out if a conference champ is outside the top 12. That will likely only be the top G5 conference. The biggest issue will be multiple SEC teams always getting a bye. All this does is give a couple P5 conferences and a G5 team an illusion of participating in the playoffs. Kind of like most of the teams that have been 65-68 in basketball.
Old 06-10-2021, 07:50 PM
Founder/Publisher

Old 06-10-2021, 08:38 PM
Ring of Honor

Saw this elsewhere but so true.

A 12 team playoff:

Play in round
1 loss SEC vs Feel Good G5 story
9-3 Pac12 vs 2 loss SEC team
A gritty Big12 team vs Another 2 loss SEC team
An overated 11-1 ND vs whoever lost by 30 to Clemson in the ACC Champ.

4 bye teams that all beat their play-in wannabes.
Bama
Clemson
OhioSt
OU

Bama vs Clemson for the trophy. Why mess with the regular season for this outcome?
Old 06-10-2021, 09:46 PM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Thorne MacRae View Post

These are just recommendations. I hate to disagree with Tim Bourret, who is the smartest person in sports information, but Since Rev John Jenkins is on the CFP board of managers and Jack Swarbrick is on the CFP management committee we’ll never see a scenario in practice where ND is automatically excluded from a first round bye.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:51 PM
Founder/Publisher

Swarbrick was part of the group that came up with the 12 team proposal
Old 06-11-2021, 06:00 AM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: What do you think about Notre Dame not being eligible for bye

I really wish they wouldn’t be so cute with the 12-team playoff option. Just go with 8-teams. We can move up to 12 teams if we ever get to a point that there are consistently more than 8 exceptional teams.

The Division I-A has 16 teams and those first round games are usually not close (I said usually). Why not learn from 25+ years of their playoffs?
Old 06-11-2021, 06:34 AM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger80 View Post
I really wish they wouldn’t be so cute with the 12-team playoff option. Just go with 8-teams. We can move up to 12 teams if we ever get to a point that there are consistently more than 8 exceptional teams.

The Division I-A has 16 teams and those first round games are usually not close (I said usually). Why not learn from 25+ years of their playoffs?
Because it’s not about crowning a champ. It’s about providing a tv partner a catalog of sports events in December that doesn’t completely blow up the antiquated bowl system. It’s about balancing everyone’s monetary motivations. There are too many cooks in the kitchen to keep them all happy so they will settle on another imperfect solution to be “corrected” later. The long term health of college football is literally the last thing they will consider.
Old 06-11-2021, 07:18 AM
Two Deep

Quote:

Swarbrick was part of the group that came up with the 12 team proposal
That is interesting in that it’s a 180 degree reversal of everything ND has said since the playoff began. They’ve always said that the “extra data point” of a conference game did not matter because they claim that they already play the toughest schedule in the sport. I’m curious about what’s really in it for them because I don’t buy that Swarbrick agreed to this stipulation out of a sense of fairness. I wonder if this is a sign that ND is on a path to become a full member of the ACC or another conference.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:21 AM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by geech72 View Post
That is interesting in that it’s a 180 degree reversal of everything ND has said since the playoff began. They’ve always said that the “extra data point” of a conference game did not matter because they claim that they already play the toughest schedule in the sport. I’m curious about what’s really in it for them because I don’t buy that Swarbrick agreed to this stipulation out of a sense of fairness. I wonder if this is a sign that ND is on a path to become a full member of the ACC or another conference.
This is what I thought, but then heard I heard another take. ND would not play on conference championship weekend so they rest. Then they likely get a round 1 home game with only one loss. Unlikely they have to play the #1 or 2 ranked teams in the quarterfinals. I guess they could argue they value that extra home game that they would get in most years.

Also, as an independent they probably keep the 12 game schedule. If I understand the proposal, the rest of D1 drops back to 11 games.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:21 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:

What's in it for them is they most likely get the chance to earn their 13th data point at home in South Bend in December against a lower seed instead of a "neutral" site in Charlotte.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:29 AM
Ring of Honor

So I hear CFP change likely starts in ‘23, so they can break away from the current contract before the last 3 yr cycle of the 4 team playoff would begin.

Question. Does this mean Clemson gets screwed out of playing the home game against ND in ‘23? I bet it does if the schedule is reduced to 11 regular season games. Once again I’ll bet Clemson draws the short stick with regard to the impact on the local economy.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:45 AM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy2402 View Post
What's in it for them is they most likely get the chance to earn their 13th data point at home in South Bend in December against a lower seed instead of a "neutral" site in Charlotte.
Where are the round of 8 games to be played? If they are also on campus then ND is better off in a conference. I think ND would rather play a neutral site game in December and then a home game in January than a home game in December and a road game at Clemson, Tuscaloosa, or Columbus in January.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:47 AM
Clemson Insider - 2010 March Madness Champ

Quote:
Man I knew Stroke would answer this one. Now I'm just waiting on Barb.
They can suck it. They can stay independent and get left out or join the acc and still get left out Win Win in my book.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:34 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Where are the round of 8 games to be played? If they are also on campus then ND is better off in a conference. I think ND would rather play a neutral site game in December and then a home game in January than a home game in December and a road game at Clemson, Tuscaloosa, or Columbus in January.
Everything I have seen puts them in the current NY6 bowls.