Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2019, 08:14 PM
Tiger Starter

Default For those who've made the Louisville trip.

I'm strongly considering making the trip to the game this year. Not expecting much of a game from Louisville this year so tickets are cheap on StubHub. Most likely will do a weekend trip out of it as in Friday thru Monday. My question is, is it worth it? It looks like a cool city with lots to do. Also how are the fans? Their message board can be a little hostile at times but most seem welcoming. So what has been you guys experience?
Thanks ahead for any advice.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:01 PM
Owner, Publisher

Default Re: For those who've made the Louisville trip.

It is a great place to visit. Plenty to do there outside of the game. Great places to eat.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:49 AM
TCI Staff

It is a fun trip. It is one of my favorite places to visit on the ACC slate. It probably ranks No. 2 to Boston, IMO.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:49 AM
Travel Team

As a current resident, I say that you will find something to do here.
A few caveats:
Lynn's Paradise Cafe has been closed for four years. Go to Wild Eggs for breakfast or brunch instead.
All of the Mellow Mushroom restaurants are closed.
Mission Bar-b-que has a couple of locations. They're ok. Marks Feed Store is better (they're local, not a chain)
Get your hotel rooms now. If you can find something like an Air BnB, do so quickly.
Downtown traffic is terrible. Plan on Uber or Lyft. Do NOT rent a car if you plan on visiting downtown Louisville.
Make plans to hit 4th Street Live. It's not for kids after 10pm. Repeat: It's NOT for kids after 10pm.
Visit Bardstown Road for a different view of the city. Quite a few bars and restaurants there. You can also find some eclectic places on that strip too.

Don't go past 11th street.
The LMPD headquarters is located at 7th and Jefferson, you'll get bailed out there. Corrections is 6th and Liberty. You'll get locked up there.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:13 PM
Tiger Starter

Me and 7 friends are coming up for the game this year. It's actually slightly more about the bourbon tour than the game but we decided to make it a double-header and hit the game too. Not quite sure on which distilleries we will hit. Lots of debate on that one right now, but we are looking forward to the game. If anyone wants to invite 8 middle-aged men to their tailgate we are available. We'll be fun, respectful, sober, and hungry.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:20 PM
Tiger Starter

Thanks guys.
I've already booked the Springhill Suites near the airport. Seems like it might be fairly close to the stadium. Also really interested in the landmarks around there like ChurchHill Downs and the Louisville slugger museum. I'm a big fan of a pastor there as well by the name of Kyle Idleman. I know that church has many campuses but I'd love to try to catch one of his sermons as well while there.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:12 PM
NFL Tiger

Went 2 years ago and the wife and I are making a vacation out of this year's game. We spent most of our time at Churchills and then the football game last year, only touring the downtown area and one restaurant outside the city limits so we have lots to try and see this year.

I've described the downtown area as a clean New Orleans that you don't have to worry about what the kids see (we've only done this during the day so heed what thadkew says).
--Daughters, they can climb trees, fish, and shoot guns just as good as any boy, sometimes better. Plus they can have the boy clean the fish, buy the bullets when they go out, and then the Father gets to eat. Daughters are great. --

Last edited by drinkoj; 08-19-2019 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:19 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: For those who've made the Louisville trip.

I went there years ago (2007, I think) for an academic conference. We went to a restaurant with an Irish theme, but I can't remember what we ate. It might have been Shepherd's Pie, but I'm not sure that is truly Irish in origin.

We also went Churchill Downs and got to walk on part of the track and visit the museum. The part that celebrated Secretariat was really cool. It brought memories of watching him win the Triple Crown.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:22 PM
Travel Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger80 View Post
I went there years ago (2007, I think) for an academic conference. We went to a restaurant with an Irish theme, but I can't remember what we ate. It might have been Shepherd's Pie, but I'm not sure that is truly Irish in origin.
If it was downtown, it was probably O'Sheas. They've changed their menu several times, so the Shepherd's Pie is probably not on the menu. I haven't been there in a few years.

While the Bourbon Trail is fun, if you have kids and are looking for family friendly things, hit the Kid's Science Museum (across from the Slugger museum and the Muhammad Ali museum.

Also, try out the Proof on Main restaurant and the Mussel & Burger bar.

If you want something to do, you could hit the Mercury Ballroom on Friday the 18th and check out Ruston Kelly.

I dunno. I could go on and on. Do what you want, but always support the Tigers!