Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2019, 06:29 AM
Owner, Publisher

Default Never Forget 9/11

This is my yearly thread about 9/11 and how we should never forget what happened that day. The day is further and further into our memories but still a day that means a lot to so many in this country. It is the reason my son went into the National Guard and changed the path for this life.

I was scheduled to fly to Texas that day. I saw the first plane hit before I went to the Charlotte airport. When I got to the airport the second plane had hit and then they cancelled all of the flights. I went and picked up my kids at school and brought them home.

What are your memories from that day?
Old 09-11-2019, 08:56 AM
TCI Staff

Default Re: Never Forget 9/11

Wow! Never knew that Robert. Thanks for sharing and I appreciate Drew's service to our country.

I was on my way into the newspaper to put together our high school game day section. My ex-wife was in Orlando with her sister and her kids. When the plane went into the first tower, everyone on the news thought it was an accident. I always have sports radio on in my car but when I turned the radio on, Peter Jennings was on and not ESPN Radio. I knew something was bad.

When I got to work and I came into the office, they had the Today Show on, and the second plane flew into the second tower right when I started watching. I'll never forget it.

I immediately called my wife. I could not reach her because all the lines were tied up. Eventually, she got in touch with me. She was in the theme parks went it all happened and they closed the parks down. She said she was terrified.

Her and her sister later drove back to her hometown and stayed with their parents that night. I'll never forget that day as well.

Last edited by Will Vandervort; 09-11-2019 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:19 AM
Tiger Starter

I was a freshman at Berklee in Boston. Just getting started on my 9AM class, another professor came in the classroom in tears "America is under attack!" We were obviously in shock thinking are we being bombed? Is it China? Russia? That's when we turned on the TV to see the plane hitting the WTC..

I went back to my apartment with my girlfriend (now wife.) My Dad had left several voicemails to stay way from buildings, the subway, basically don't leave the apartment.. We soon learned some of terrorists had stayed at a hotel a few blocks from our apartment and had hijacked flight 11 out of Logan airport. Classes were canceled, businesses were closed, basically the city was shut down for the next two days while my girlfriend and I huddled by the TV in shock..
Old 09-11-2019, 11:48 AM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: Never Forget 9/11

I had a 9:30 am class that day. I went to the classroom because not all of the students were aware of what had happened. I wasn't entirely sure myself because I didn't have access to a TV. Everyone was on edge because we were not aware of the extent of the attack. I remember letting the students simply talk and ask questions although most of my comments were something to the effect of "I don't know" or "I'm not sure."

I'm quite sure most people that were adults can remember where they were or what they were doing that day. It is a bit alarming to realize it is now 18 years later and we are still having to deal with terrorism.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:52 AM
Ring of Honor

I was in the 5th grade but remember well my teacher walking in the morning and saying something big was going on.

Every time I think about that day I think about those poor people who basically had to choose how they wanted to die, jump or burn. Thatís some tough stuff man.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:20 PM
NFL Tiger

I was on duty at the fire station. Me and my partner were doing truck checks after breakfast when the phone rang. It was one of our volunteers who was out after knee surgery saying "Y'all need to go look at the news. A plane hit one of the World Trade Center towers and it's on fire." We stepped into the day room and turned the channel from The Weather Channel to one of the news networks. We were about to go finish our apparatus checks when the second plane hit. My partner, a Marine, said "We are under attack."

We watched the towers fall and knew we had lost a bunch of Brothers. Shortly after the second tower fell we were dispatched to a fire alarm at the high school. We arrived first and as we were walking into the school a custodian said "They told us we had an hour to evacuate the school." We were confused and asked "Who said that?" and he replied "The person who called in the bomb threat." It seems foolish now to have had the idea that blowing up a high school in SC was part of the same diabolical plan to fly planes into buildings but at the time with all the confusion it seemed pretty damn realistic.

Later that afternoon we were glued to the TV hoping and praying that they would uncover a void space in the collapse and save most of our Brothers. Since we were a day work station I went home at 5:00 and spent a mostly sleepless night watching the coverage. I'll never forget the haunting sounds of hundreds of PASS alarms (devices firefighters wear that alarm after remaining motionless for a specific amount of time) just continuously screeching. You are taught as a firefighter that when you hear a PASS alarm you go to it no matter what. I never felt so helpless in my life.

Despite little sleep, overwhelming sadness over the loss of people I had never met but were still my Brothers, and the gnawing fear of what could be next at 0730 the next morning me and my partner reported for duty and got on the truck. That's what firefighters do, they get on the truck.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:39 PM
Tiger Starter

I was in 8th grade. The teachers weren't allowed to say anything, but it was a weird day. Classes went on, and my 5th period teacher told us that the WTC had been hit but that was all he knew/could say. At the end of the day the principal made a big announcement about it, but it hadn't hit yet. I walked home and a ton of flags were already flying but finally at like 4 I saw the video when I got home. It was a strange day for me because I could barely comprehend what it was, but it's a day I won't forget
Old 09-11-2019, 04:23 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Born63 View Post
I was in 8th grade. The teachers weren't allowed to say anything, but it was a weird day.

That was one of the hard things about our bomb scare call. When we met with the school administration they said that they hadn't spread the word and asked us not to tell the kids or teachers what was going on elsewhere to avoid a panic. I was coaching youth sports at the time and had actually went to school with a number of teachers there so everybody was asking what was going on. The school admin had pulled the fire alarm to evacuate the school and told nobody that it was a bomb threat. Everybody I know I talked to that day said they knew something was up because I was acting so nervous.

Hard to imagine how easy it was to keep things secret just a short time ago. Now they would have known instantly.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:24 PM
Owner, Publisher

Yeah the principal at the school that day tried to talk me out of taking my kids home. That didnít work.