Clemson Insider Logo



Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-26-2021, 11:31 AM
tigerpawgt tigerpawgt is online now
Ring of Honor
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Grand Blanc MI
Posts: 6,213
Default What to do about FCS football?

Been thinking about what the SEC and ACC should do to improve the home schedules. The Covid season kind of makes you think about things from a fresh perspective. Does this sound economically viable? I know it probably wonít happen because of conference politics but it seems like a good solution to me so I throw it out there to debate.

The NCAA needs to go to an P5 conference tax to be paid to the FCS conferences to be distributed to their teams to keep their budgets viable. That way Clemson probably pays less than currently for that glorified exhibition game (same situation for most southern schools). Then replace that game with either an extra conference game, or added FBS out of conference home game. G5 schools now get a shot to play against more P5 teams. Better product to watch (for tv contracts as well), make more gate revenue, and solve the problem on how to keep FCS programs viable.

The Big10 and Pac12 wonít like it because they donít have those traditional FCS state schools to help keep afloat. However, too bad so sad. Cough up the cash for the betterment of college football.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-26-2021, 11:48 AM
Robert Thorne MacRae's Avatar
Robert Thorne MacRae Robert Thorne MacRae is online now
Founder/Publisher
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 112,582
Default Re: What to do about FCS football?

FCS definitely has some challenges as do the Group of 5. Be interesting to see if the Power 5 make any changes to scheduling.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-26-2021, 03:54 PM
Ken Ken is online now
NFL Tiger
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,623
Default Re: What to do about FCS football?

Why would P5 schools be responsible for the budgets of FCS teams? P5 schools should play 9 conference games, 1-2 G5 games and 1-2 OOC P5 games. Wofford, PC, SCSU, FU and ElCid will figure out how to make it work
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-26-2021, 04:53 PM
carlos carlos is offline
Two Deep
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 990
Default Re: What to do about FCS football?

I absolutely did not miss the games against the FCS teams this season. The game against the Citadel felt like such a waste with everything going on.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-26-2021, 05:16 PM
tigerpawgt tigerpawgt is online now
Ring of Honor
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Grand Blanc MI
Posts: 6,213
Default Re: What to do about FCS football?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Why would P5 schools be responsible for the budgets of FCS teams? P5 schools should play 9 conference games, 1-2 G5 games and 1-2 OOC P5 games. Wofford, PC, SCSU, FU and ElCid will figure out how to make it work
P5 schools arenít responsible for FCS schools budgets. You know that, but you also know those schools budgets are set based on the paycheck games the P5 schools give them each season. If Clemson and USC donít give them a game they donít have an athletic program that can stay in the black. What Iím proposing is a different mechanism to get them the revenue they need spread across all of P5 schools, hence a tax of sorts. The argument you hear is the Clemson needs to support the small in-state schools and need that 7th home game for the local business. Iíd prefer to see a more competitive game, but still find a way to support the FCS programs.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-26-2021, 05:41 PM
SSMITH2554 SSMITH2554 is online now
NFL Tiger
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Ocean Isle Beach
Posts: 4,073
Default Re: What to do about FCS football?

I am on the fence about this.

Pros

It's like a scrimmage but counts as a W(not a huge W, but a W). It gives teams a way to work on things and depth a chance to see what they can do in a real game to some extent.

It's good to help out state programs. Many schools are having to cut programs already. Obviously not all kids can play P5. I think it's great that there is still a place for good players to be able to compete. There are still kids from lower divisions that make it to the NFL. IMO, supporting football for all is a way to help out the sport. I went to a smaller school and having a football team was certainly helpful for many reasons. What's wrong with larger programs helping out when they can?

It helps kids get an education. With a good number of programs relying on the $ games, ADs could see many sports eliminated. The kids would not have scholarships and unable to attend.

Cons

Fans would rather see a more competitive game.

Players can still get hurt

It's almost a no-win situation. There's always a chance for an upset. A win is already expected.

We make more $ by charging more for better competition.


I like your idea about some kind of tax to spread to the lower divisions but not sure how it would work.

I just really do not want to see any more football teams having to give it up. Or any sports. There really are not many drawbacks from them. Why do something detrimental?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-26-2021, 07:46 PM
Bill Roberts's Avatar
Bill Roberts Bill Roberts is online now
Two Deep
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 675
Default Re: What to do about FCS football?

10 Conference Games so you get Home and Home, 1 'preseason' game against a same state FCS school (Citadel, Wofford, Furman), and 1 game against a P5 rival. So, you get 7 Home games one year and 6 Home games on alternate years.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-26-2021, 07:56 PM
tigerpawgt tigerpawgt is online now
Ring of Honor
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Grand Blanc MI
Posts: 6,213
Default Re: What to do about FCS football?

I often see this idea of playing an exhibition game against FCS in the spring. I donít see how that would work. Coaches have basically turned the spring game into a very controlled scrimmage and that letís them get the entire roster some playing time. Would it really generate enough revenue compared to what we pay to play them in the fall where most if the stadium tickets have been sold.

If they play it in addition to the spring game then thatís just more injury risk.

Thus, I came to the idea of the P5 tax to get these blowout games off the fall calendar. I still think it opens up the possibility to generate more revenue from the improved home game against an FBS opponent than they pay in the P5 tax.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-26-2021, 11:30 PM
Ken Ken is online now
NFL Tiger
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,623
Default Re: What to do about FCS football?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpawgt View Post
P5 schools aren’t responsible for FCS schools budgets. You know that, but you also know those schools budgets are set based on the paycheck games the P5 schools give them each season. If Clemson and USC don’t give them a game they don’t have an athletic program that can stay in the black. What I’m proposing is a different mechanism to get them the revenue they need spread across all of P5 schools, hence a tax of sorts. The argument you hear is the Clemson needs to support the small in-state schools and need that 7th home game for the local business. I’d prefer to see a more competitive game, but still find a way to support the FCS programs.
So who ultimately pays Furman Wofford and ElCid who are all rich schools? It’s the fans. I don’t really care if they have athletic programs or not. I don’t mind but also won’t pay for it. They can have club teams if they want.

FWIW USC is in LA...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-27-2021, 09:55 AM
Will Vandervort's Avatar
Will Vandervort Will Vandervort is online now
TCI Staff
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 59,769
Default Re: What to do about FCS football?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpawgt View Post
P5 schools aren’t responsible for FCS schools budgets. You know that, but you also know those schools budgets are set based on the paycheck games the P5 schools give them each season. If Clemson and USC don’t give them a game they don’t have an athletic program that can stay in the black. What I’m proposing is a different mechanism to get them the revenue they need spread across all of P5 schools, hence a tax of sorts. The argument you hear is the Clemson needs to support the small in-state schools and need that 7th home game for the local business. I’d prefer to see a more competitive game, but still find a way to support the FCS programs.
Whether Furman or The Citadel can make budget is not really the P5's concern, nor should it be. Would they like to help? I am sure they would. However, P5 athletic departments are having their own issues to stay afloat. The pandemic really hurt a lot of athletic departments, including a couple of P5s not too far from Clemson.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-27-2021, 10:16 AM
tigerpawgt tigerpawgt is online now
Ring of Honor
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Grand Blanc MI
Posts: 6,213
Default Re: What to do about FCS football?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Vandervort View Post
Whether Furman or The Citadel can make budget is not really the P5's concern, nor should it be. Would they like to help? I am sure they would. However, P5 athletic departments are having their own issues to stay afloat. The pandemic really hurt a lot of athletic departments, including a couple of P5s not too far from Clemson.
Will, this isnít about the near term problems. What Iím describing is longer range for the betterment of the FBS game. Clearly Clemson has been helping Wofford or Furman etc by providing them a paycheck game for many many years. However, I think Clemson and many other P5 schools could do better for their fans by finding a way to schedule an FBS game instead (conference or non conference depending on what makes sense for each conference). If the FCS paycheck game goes away and there has been pressure to do so nationally then those schools shutdown there programs altogether and I think that can avoided by providing a revenue share from across all P5 conferences.

Just to be clear, this would be something for an ďAutonomous 5Ē to grapple with over the next 5 years. It probably could be aligned with an expansion of the CFP, because that would bring pressure for the P5 to play more games against the G5 schools and that would squeeze out the FCS games as a consequence.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-27-2021, 12:11 PM
Ken Ken is online now
NFL Tiger
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,623
Default Re: What to do about FCS football?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpawgt View Post
Will, this isnít about the near term problems. What Iím describing is longer range for the betterment of the FBS game. Clearly Clemson has been helping Wofford or Furman etc by providing them a paycheck game for many many years. However, I think Clemson and many other P5 schools could do better for their fans by finding a way to schedule an FBS game instead (conference or non conference depending on what makes sense for each conference). If the FCS paycheck game goes away and there has been pressure to do so nationally then those schools shutdown there programs altogether and I think that can avoided by providing a revenue share from across all P5 conferences.

Just to be clear, this would be something for an ďAutonomous 5Ē to grapple with over the next 5 years. It probably could be aligned with an expansion of the CFP, because that would bring pressure for the P5 to play more games against the G5 schools and that would squeeze out the FCS games as a consequence.
For me i understand your point but simply don't agree. Fans are about tapped out trying to support their school of choice without also supporting the FCS. I agree that there is no value in playing a FCS team in a glorified scrimmage charging the fans $50 a pop to watch. FCS teams need to either support their teams or scale back. Thinking we should expand the playoffs to pay for a FCS tax is also a non starter as if the season goes beyond 15 games we will see renewed calls to actually pay players which IMO will kill college football as we know it. At that point football and its fans will be supporting the players, coaches, all the scholarships for non revenue sports and maybe FCS? Where does it end?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-27-2021, 01:28 PM
catdaddy2402's Avatar
catdaddy2402 catdaddy2402 is offline
NFL Tiger
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 3,150
Default Re: What to do about FCS football?

Unless the NCAA itself changes the rules to where FCS teams don't count towards bowl eligibility, and there's absolutely no indication they are going to, Clemson is going to play an in-state FCS every single year. We started playing the in-state schools when a couple legislators asked why we were paying for schools in Utah to come in for a game when we had teams here in state that would do it cheaper and count just the same. To keep the SC Legislature from doing what they do best, meddling in things that don't concern them, we started scheduling Furman, Wofford, SC State, etc. and in 2026 we will play our final first game against an in-state FCS team when we face Charleston Southern. Get used to games against Furman, Wofford, The Citadel, SC State, and Chuck South from now on....and be thankful that since they dropped down to non-scholarship football that PC isn't eligible to be a FCS counter for a FBS team any longer.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Shop for 2019 Clemson Tigers Fiesta Bowl Champs Fan Gear at Fanatics Clemson Tigers gear at Fanatics.com



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:56 PM.

Partner with USA TODAY Sports Media Group

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.