Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > All In Recruiting
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2015, 07:01 PM
Ring of Honor

Default Wasn't recruiting suppose to suck after "the Change?"

Not looking like it, and damn glad to see the home-state boys falling our way!
Old 07-01-2015, 09:03 PM
Ring of Honor

Default Re: Wasn't recruiting suppose to suck after "the Change?"

Who expressed that opinion? Most comments and opinions I saw were that one big advantage in choosing Lee was his ability to recruit in state and in the region. There was an early question about the impact on choices of existing players who were drafted and on 2015 recruits Who had strong ties to Leggett. Looks like we only lost a couple.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:06 PM
Scholarship Player

I think he was referring to the sentiment that players came to Clemson to play for a "Hall of Fame Coach." That our facilities and support from the AD was so poor that the "Hall of Fame Coach" was the only thing holding recruiting together and without him the talent level wanting to come to Clemson would surely drop because they wouldn't be able to play for a "Hall of Fame Coach."
Old 07-02-2015, 12:02 AM
Former TCI Staff/Went to Dark Side

Actually, the narrative painted by Robert was quite the opposite. While Clemson was losing its "Hall of Fame Coach" the program is in position to succeed in the years to come.

1-Vastly improved facilities

2-Academic common market

Before ground broke on the new facilities, Clemson's baseball facilities were VERY crappy for a program that's considered to be among the best of the best. The clubhouse was in a cramped room with no windows and zero amenities. There may have been a Gatorade refrigerator in there. Maybe.

The AD's support for the head coach from the end of the 2014 season to the end of the 2015 season was what it was. AD wanted coach gone. AD put coach in a situation where he knew it would be tough to succeed. Coach didn't succeed. AD pulled the trigger.

Over the last five years or so, most kids came to Clemson to play baseball because they wanted to play for Jack Leggett and be apart of the tradition. Or they just liked the school. It wasn't for the facilities. It wasn't for the scholarship money.

Clemson is still Clemson. The baseball program hasn't lost its tradition. The school is still there.

The only changes are Leggett, the snazzy, new facility and more opportunity for scholarship money.

e-mail: hale@theclemsoninsider.com
Old 07-10-2015, 01:31 PM
Ring of Honor

I don't follow baseball recruiting all that closely but have noted all the commits over the past weeks. Is this reflective of a change in the kind of player being recruited (for example, instead of recruiting lots of guys who are likely to be drafted by to MLB you recruit good players you think/know will end up in school)?
Old 07-10-2015, 01:40 PM
NFL Tiger

Had a pitcher flip from NCS yesterday because of Lee, so I guess it works both ways. Lee and Staff have hit the ground running and up to 10(?) commits now.Making excuses for a HOF coach that had become defiant the last few years is just a joke.

We can celebrate what happened in the past while being extremely excited about the future,because the future looks far brighter than the last 2-3 years have.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:37 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRTTMT View Post
Had a pitcher flip from NCS yesterday because of Lee, so I guess it works both ways. Lee and Staff have hit the ground running and up to 10(?) commits now.Making excuses for a HOF coach that had become defiant the last few years is just a joke.

We can celebrate what happened in the past while being extremely excited about the future,because the future looks far brighter than the last 2-3 years have.
Exactly!

Hale, the narrative I am referring to was prior to the dismissal of the HOF coach. I have noticed a lot of print on "that other site" about the recruits garnered by Coach Lee, and am somewhat taken aback that a site that hangs it's hat on being the most complete Clemson baseball site hasn't posted one item about it (an example is what MRTTMT pointed out in his post). Including an post recently titled "recruiting notes". Not one mention of a single baseball commit/signee. Talk the talk, walk the walk. MRTTMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale McGranahan View Post
Before ground broke on the new facilities, Clemson's baseball facilities were VERY crappy for a program that's considered to be among the best of the best. The clubhouse was in a cramped room with no windows and zero amenities. There may have been a Gatorade refrigerator in there. Maybe.

The AD's support for the head coach from the end of the 2014 season to the end of the 2015 season was what it was. AD wanted coach gone. AD put coach in a situation where he knew it would be tough to succeed. Coach didn't succeed. AD pulled the trigger.
Are you kidding? The Stadium was upgraded, the entire field was re-done to include new state of the art drainage, home plate was repositioned, the seating was improved, the works were on for the changes to the locker rooms and player areas (why couldn't the Jack do what Dabo does and sell the vision?), all prior to the conspiracy theory given here. Doesn't sound like the AD was out for the Jack, it sounds like the Jack's ego got in the way of him being retained, much like the High School coaches across the state maintain. Why was it reported that the Jack refused to fire his entire staff, by this site, and yet, Lecroy remains. If he wasn't good enough under the Jack, how can he be good enough under a non-HOF coach like Lee? Honest question.

I am really looking forward to next year. The proof is in the pudding, as they say, but I'm sure the reasons for success will be just as stated above about the ACM and the facilities upgrade. Hello McFly! The ACM does not have any effect on in-state players (of which there are a majority so far for Lee's recruits)! They already get in-state tuition! Oh, but The Jack didn't care to recruit "our boys"...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, you can't do this with your head in the sand. I mean you can, but it's very hollow to say the least. Bias does that to reporting.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:35 PM
Former TCI Staff/Went to Dark Side

Mel,

When I say facilities, I mean amenities for players, I'm talking bells and whistles, stuff kids actually care about, not the position of home plate or the drainage system.

If you don't think we've reported anything about Clemson's recent baseball commitments, you're wrong. Sorry for missing one guy that you read about on another site. I was busy with other recruiting stuff and Robert has been handling some things away from the site.

Robert's owned baseball recruiting coverage for years, so if you feel like a couple of days of coverage from another site is worth your while, then by all means.

If you think there is some sort of bias in covering the baseball program just because Jack Leggett is no longer around, you're severely mistaken.

e-mail: hale@theclemsoninsider.com

Last edited by Hale McGranahan; 07-10-2015 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:29 PM
Ring of Honor

Well then, didn't Dabo sell the bells and whistles that were in progress? Jack seemed to lack that ability. I don't think there is a bias per se, I just think that the hurt hasn't subsided enough for the recruiting info to be reported as it once was on this site. 1 recruit? Try 7. Please tell me where the last 7 recruits reported by other sites are posted here. Guess I missed them.

Case in point from last night!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale McGranahan View Post
Thursday morning/afternoon, I was at Tucker High School to watch several 2016 basketball targets: four-star shooting guard Eli Wright (Kentucky), three-star small forward Jalen Johnson (North Carolina) and three-star shooting guard Lindy Waters (Oklahoma).

Brad Brownell and Richie Riley watched Wright and Johnson play in back-to-back games during the afternoon.

Wright is a strong lefty with a lot of skill and athleticism. He was one of the better looking two-guards I saw over the last couple of days, if not the best.

Riley, who's a Kentucky native, serves as the point man for Clemson. But several others are already involved, including Wake Forest, Tennessee, Indiana and Oklahoma State. More offers will come if he has a good month of July.

From July 31-Aug. 2, Wright will take his first official visit to Wake Forest. That's the only trip he's scheduled. Clemson hosted him for an unofficial in last fall and could have him back in the next couple of months.

Waters has a nice looking jumper, but hasn't had a lot of contact with Clemson since the offer, which the Tigers sent out in May. Oklahoma head coach Lon Kruger and Oklahoma State head coach Travis Ford saw him play in the morning.

Johnson is the most recent 2016 prospect offered by Clemson. He picked that up last month while he was on campus for an unofficial visit. Johnson is a lengthy wing player who jumps out of the gym. Like Wright, he's a lefty. And, like Wright, Wake Forest has offered.

Former Clemson assistant Earl Grant, who's now the head coach at College of Charleston, watched Team Wall vs. Garner Road (Johnson's game) with Brownell and Riley.

Over the last couple of weeks, football recruiting has taken a backseat -- relatively speaking -- to basketball and baseball recruiting. We'll have some pigskin prep stuff to pass your way after a stop by the Palmetto State Showdown (Byrnes 7-on-7).

There are several prospects we'll be watching tomorrow morning and afternoon:

Bob Jones (Alabama)
2017 S A.J. Harris

Byrnes
2018 WR Demarcus Gregory

Daniel
2018 LB Jake Venables
2018 QB Ben Batson

Hillside (North Carolina)
2018 RB Jamal Currie-Elliott

Myrtle Beach
2017 CB Keyonte Sessions

Thomson (Georgia)
2018 CB Christian Tutt
2017 WR Trey Parker

Union
2017 WR Shi Smith

Wren
2017 QB Jay Urich

And it's Mark, not Mel... I don't hide, thanks for responding.