Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > All In Recruiting
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2015, 12:04 AM
Former TCI Staff/Went to Dark Side

Default Spring evaluation period/Recruiting notes

Monday is the first day of the spring evaluation period for the Clemson coaching staff. With exit interviews from spring practice going on throughout the week last week, the staff was not on the road when the period opened on Wednesday

The evaluation period runs through the end of May, so there will be plenty of goings on over the next several weeks: Coaches visiting high schools, new offers going out, maybe even a commitment or two...

During the next month or so, schools are permitted to conduct two evaluation visits. One is to "...assess the prospective student-athlete's athletics ability and one evaluation to to assess the prospective student-athlete's academics qualifications..."

Head coaches are not allowed to be on the road during the spring evaluation period, so don't expect to hear about where Dabo Swinney is going and who he'll be seeing, but we'll do our best to cover the rest of the staff and where exactly they're headed.

***On Monday, Jeff Scott and Mike Reed are scheduled to stop by the IMG Academy in to check on a host of prospects, including 2016 wide receiver T.J. Chase and 2016 linebacker Rahshaun Smith, the two commitments. 2016 defensive back Saivion Smith, the LSU commitment, and 2016 defensive end Shavar Manuel could receive some attention, too.

***Danny Pearman will be in Texas to stop by Argyle High School to see 2016 tight end pledge J.C. Chalk.

***Tony Elliott is expected to make a run by Whale Branch in Seabrook to check in on four-star defensive tackle Nyles Pinckney. While we haven't confirmed any dates, Elliott recruits the Charleston area, so we suspect he'll have early stops by Fort Dorchester, to see John Simpson and Dakereon Joyner. A run by Wando to see 2017 WR OrTre Smith will probably also materialize, sooner than later.

***TCI is scheduled to stop by Fort Dorchester and Wando on Monday, to conduct in-person interviews with those three prospects. An interview with 2017 Summerville wide receiver Cameron Burnette is also in store. A visit to Whale Branch is also on the docket for the early portion of the week.

***On Friday, TCI went by Wilson High School in Florence to see 2018 defensive end Xavier Thomas.

We'll have more on Thomas later this morning with our on location interview and again with the Insider Report. Have a look at his freshmen highlights. This kid is the real-deal, on and off the field. Florida State offered a couple of weeks ago.

This early in the process, it sounds a bit silly to suggest he could be one of the best freshmen in the country, if not the best.

Seriously. Watch his film. You'll have to remind yourself that he just turned 15.

Thomas highlights: LINK

***Clark Yarbrough, who's just over a month away from making his decision, told TCI on Sunday night that he's expecting to see coaches from Clemson walking through the halls at Woodberry Forest (VA) at some point this week.

***Same goes for Landon Dickerson. The four-star OT from South Caldwell High School in North Carolina told TCI he's expecting Clemson to stop by this week.

***Sean Pollard, the lone offensive line committed to the Tigers' 2016 class, will see coaches from Clemson on Monday or Tuesday.

The last few days have been very favorable for the Clemson basketball program. After Brad Brownell got a look at his temporary digs in Greenville, he had a successful weekend with Vanderbilt transfer Shelton Mitchell, who committed on Sunday.

If the Clemson staff is able to survive Ricky Tarrant's visit to Memphis, that could set up another potential step in the right direction for Brownell & Co. with Tarrant scheduled to visit Clemson next weekend. And, for now, there's no indication that he'll take any other visits.

It's our understanding that landing Tarrant would be the ideal scenario. Obviously, if he picks Clemson, that will be it for the 2015 recruiting efforts.

As previously noted, we believe that Clemson will pursue a graduate transfer to fill this final spot if Tarrant heads elsewhere. But no final decision has been made on what happens if Clemson doesn't add Tarrant. Robert Morris transfer Marcquise Reed, who's coming off his freshman year, is still scheduled to visit early next month...for now.

To close, a couple of notes on Mitchell and his commitment:

***Mitchell's relationship with the Clemson staff before his first two commitments played a significant role. Comfort was the key word.

"I always felt comfortable around them. One of the reasons why I think I didn't go there before was because of the ACC rules...I still felt comfortable with them on my visit, so I felt like that was the place I was supposed to be."

***Those rules he mentioned are referring to what his options were after he was released from his NLI to Wake Forest.

***Mitchell shared some of the details about his conversations with Brownell.

"He talked about some of my strengths and told me how I was going to fit. This year, me being off, it's just going to be for me to get better and work hard."

***Jaron Blossomgame, Gabe DeVoe and Donte Grantham were the primary players Mitchell was with over the weekend.

"They talked about just how high they thought about coach Brownell and how much they loved it there. They all seemed to be really happy and having a great time. That was something that really stood out to me."

***Towards the end of the visit, Mitchell told the Clemson staff he was ready to make the decision. His parents were also in town, so they were also involved.

"Everything was kind of exciting. They were excited, as well as my family."

***Mitchell will wrap up at Vanderbilt next Monday. That's his last final. He isn't exactly sure if he'll be able to enroll for the first session of summer school at Clemson. At the latest, Mitchell said, he'll be at the second session.

***Mitchell will major in Communications at Clemson. He had not declared a major at Vanderbilt.

Last edited by Hale McGranahan; 04-20-2015 at 12:13 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:52 AM
MR Perfidity - Clemson Insider

Default Re: Spring evaluation period/Recruiting notes

That's a boat load of good stuff to begin the week.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:52 AM
Former TCI Staff/Went to Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe21 View Post
That's a boat load of good stuff to begin the week.
And there's plenty more on the way.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:20 AM
Founder/Publisher

Hard to believe Thomas is a freshman. Incredible highlights
Old 04-20-2015, 10:30 AM
Scholarship Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Thorne MacRae View Post
Hard to believe Thomas is a freshman. Incredible highlights
Saw him in the 1st round of the playoffs this year. He looks the part.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:42 AM
Banned

It's too bad Mitchell didn't go the JUCO/prep route after decommitting from Wake Forest. We could have used him next year. Still, very happy to have him in the fold. Optimistic about Tarrant at this point too.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:35 PM
Banned

Tarrant committed to Memphis.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:22 PM
Ring of Honor

Thomas's tape is ridiculous for a freshmen. He'll be a top 10/5 guy when that time rolls around. We should be a strong contender too.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:54 PM
Way2tall

Would somebody BESIDES Danny Pearman PLEASE recruit this stud from Florence!