Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > All Welcome > Joe's Place
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2014, 07:34 AM
Founder/Publisher

Default Stock Market

Do you trade in the market? If so do you do it yourself or use a broker?
Old 07-26-2014, 09:01 AM
Walk On

Default Re: Stock Market

Damn it, I typed a long response on my phone and then Firefox crashed. Stupid internet. I hate stuff.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:05 AM
Walk On

Ok, it did it again. I've never had this happen on my phone. Does this sight have issues with androids?
Old 07-26-2014, 09:07 AM
Walk On

Fyi, If spend two or more minutes typing a reply, it crashes.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:34 AM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noNAMESleftTIGER View Post

Ok, it did it again. I've never had this happen on my phone. Does this sight have issues with androids?
I have never had an issue replying with my android phone, and considering I am only one typing skill level above "hunt and peck", anything more than a sentence from me might take more than two minutes, lol!
Old 07-26-2014, 09:43 AM
Founder/Publisher

I posted on the site for years with an Android. Have IPhone now
Old 07-26-2014, 02:22 PM
Walk On

I'm on the laptop now. It crashed a fourth time and I gave up. It could be a Firefox/Android issue?

Anyway....I've got a 401k that I noticed they other day had grown more than I had realized. My employer does not contribute and I was thinking that maybe I need to move it to a Roth IRA. I'm really not sure what my options are, but I feel like I need to do something with it. Maybe leaving it where it's at is the right thing to do. I'm not looking to do anything crazy and I'll definitely talk to a live person about it, but woould love to hear any input.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:06 PM
Founder/Publisher

Probably depends on what your options are for investments with your 401K
Old 07-27-2014, 12:13 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by noNAMESleftTIGER View Post
I'm on the laptop now. It crashed a fourth time and I gave up. It could be a Firefox/Android issue?

Anyway....I've got a 401k that I noticed they other day had grown more than I had realized. My employer does not contribute and I was thinking that maybe I need to move it to a Roth IRA. I'm really not sure what my options are, but I feel like I need to do something with it. Maybe leaving it where it's at is the right thing to do. I'm not looking to do anything crazy and I'll definitely talk to a live person about it, but woould love to hear any input.
You need to think about a few things before you move your 401K money.

1) The Administrative fees for some company 401K and IRA accounts are very good while others suck and you need to know that percentage.

2) How many options does your employer provide for where your 401K money is invested? Options allow you to spread your risk around and also find fund types that will allow you to match up your potential years of investment, how much risk you should have to reach these goals for retirement and during retirement, and how much risk you feel comfortable with taking.

3) You mention converting from a company sponsored 401K to a Roth IRA. Typically company 401K means that it is a "Traditional 401K" which your money is invested WITHOUT taxes being taken out. If you change between a Traditional IRA/401K to a Roth IRA/401K, you will be required to pay the taxes on all that money, at your current tax rate (25%+/- depending on your tax bracket).

To make this venture worth while to you, I strongly suggest that you be sure you can pay the additional taxes with cash you have in hand and not by reducing the net worth of your 401K and using that money to pay the taxes with.

I am very active in planning my and my wife's retirement funds (company and personal IRA) with a long term buy and hold strategy but do make moves as needed over time. I invest in major mutual funds that follow the S&P 500, Russell 2000, and International markets typically, but do also have money in NASDAQ Technology index funds and Biotech Index fund (which is something that I have always watched and do not suggest for most that don't have a stomach for ups and downs).

And to answer the original question Robert asked, no I don't play with single stocks, as I don't care for the risk/reward ratio that they give you.
--Daughters, they can climb trees, fish, and shoot guns just as good as any boy, sometimes better. Plus they can have the boy clean the fish, buy the bullets when they go out, and then the Father gets to eat. Daughters are great. --
Old 07-27-2014, 01:57 AM
TCI Staff

To answer Robert's question, mine would be "all of the above and then some." I use Morgan Stanley Smith Barney for some stuff, but I also have an account with TD-Ameritrade that I play around with myself. I also think it's important to keep some investments in local businesses, whether personal business or through angel investments, etc. "25% cash, 25% stocks, bonds, etc, 25% land, 25% personal or small local businesses"
Old 07-27-2014, 03:51 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Lance View Post
25% personal or small local businesses"
If that includes the local Liquor stores, I agree. :-)
--Daughters, they can climb trees, fish, and shoot guns just as good as any boy, sometimes better. Plus they can have the boy clean the fish, buy the bullets when they go out, and then the Father gets to eat. Daughters are great. --
Old 08-04-2014, 11:44 PM
Travel Team

Strictly my opinion :
I used to be a novice day trader .
The differences in Bear and Bull markets are dictated by how much Monopoly money is pumped in by the Fed .
Since the markets are being propped up by artificial means and the Fed pumping $85 billion a month into an otherwise collapsed economy ,(making the markets dance like a puppet) I would suggest investing in the only item that truly maintains actual value and has for 8,000 years .....PRECIOUS METALS .
The prices are up right now , with a modest fluctuation rate , but will continue to trend higher and be an excellent long term investment !
This is why all the nations that don't borrow money at a 40% of gross GDP are buying bullion by the tons , while the U.S. continues borrowing on plans laid out in the Cloward -Piven strategy (Google it and read it ....it will blow your mind )
The markets are one announcement from the Fed, from crashing! Personally ,I plan to stay away .
Take that however you want , but to sink retirement hopes into the market is gambling on a major scale !
If you want to diversify a portfolio with a 25 % stake on market futures , money markets , etc that might be worth a shot .But I would never play the market as has been done in the past 100 years on retirement hopes . And depending on your knowledge and ability to be vested in day trading and the like .....be careful .
I had to maintain 2 accounts of $10,000 each as a day trader .And I was a small time novice . Those can easily become $50,000 each in as much as a day or $0 if you aren't careful .
I nearly crashed ,but recovered by the skin of my teeth ....then sold my trade room(4 IMACs etc ,etc) and put a pool table in .
I didn't have the understanding , experience , and knowledge going in that I needed . And if you broker through Scott Trade or whoever , their goal is to make money , whether on the head of the stock ,or the investor .

Old 08-06-2014, 10:56 PM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert thorne macrae View Post
i posted on the site for years with an android. Have iphone now
sellout!!!!
Old 08-06-2014, 11:06 PM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.V.Mike View Post
Strictly my opinion :
I used to be a novice day trader .
The differences in Bear and Bull markets are dictated by how much Monopoly money is pumped in by the Fed .
Since the markets are being propped up by artificial means and the Fed pumping $85 billion a month into an otherwise collapsed economy ,(making the markets dance like a puppet) I would suggest investing in the only item that truly maintains actual value and has for 8,000 years .....PRECIOUS METALS .
The prices are up right now , with a modest fluctuation rate , but will continue to trend higher and be an excellent long term investment !
This is why all the nations that don't borrow money at a 40% of gross GDP are buying bullion by the tons , while the U.S. continues borrowing on plans laid out in the Cloward -Piven strategy (Google it and read it ....it will blow your mind )
The markets are one announcement from the Fed, from crashing! Personally ,I plan to stay away .
Take that however you want , but to sink retirement hopes into the market is gambling on a major scale !
If you want to diversify a portfolio with a 25 % stake on market futures , money markets , etc that might be worth a shot .But I would never play the market as has been done in the past 100 years on retirement hopes . And depending on your knowledge and ability to be vested in day trading and the like .....be careful .
I had to maintain 2 accounts of $10,000 each as a day trader .And I was a small time novice . Those can easily become $50,000 each in as much as a day or $0 if you aren't careful .
I nearly crashed ,but recovered by the skin of my teeth ....then sold my trade room(4 IMACs etc ,etc) and put a pool table in .
I didn't have the understanding , experience , and knowledge going in that I needed . And if you broker through Scott Trade or whoever , their goal is to make money , whether on the head of the stock ,or the investor .
Unless one has a HUGE amount of money to play with, they can't really make money safely doing day trading anymore, in my opinion. You've either got to be buying LOADS of big money blue-chips, or hundreds of thousands shares of dollar stocks(and those are risky as hell) to really make enough to justify the risk. Investing modestly in blue-chips and some IPO's, short term 6-12 months, has proven successful for many. I agree with you about not having your entire retirement in the market, no matter how diversified the portfolio. That's why I said above, 25% cash, 25% real estate, 25% diversified market investments, 25% local business, whether personally run or as an investor of some sort.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:24 AM
MR Perfidity - Clemson Insider

I don't do any trading now. I have several mutual funds which have performed well and one mutual fund (actually an annuity) which invests in about 24 different funds and it's done well. I have several stocks I bought years ago based on my studying the market and they have performed well. I had a couple of bummers but, fortunately, did not invest heavily. On the plus side, I have not had to rely on dividends for current income so have reinvested all dividends over the years. It's amazing how some have grown.

Never forget this simple rule ----- 72 divided by the interest rate or rate of return will tell you how long it will take to double your money.

One thing I've noticed, the older I've gotten I prefer a fixed rate return rather than a "I hope this stock makes me a millionaire" attitude.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:27 PM
Charter Member - Clemson Insider

Call me dumb if you will because I am pretty much money market stock market dumb.....I am the dummy that puts a percentage into his 401 each pay period and just lets it sit there........but Mr Joe of someone explain this to me

Never forget this simple rule ----- 72 divided by the interest rate or rate of return will tell you how long it will take to double your money

Where did the 72 come from
Old 08-07-2014, 04:06 PM
MR Perfidity - Clemson Insider

JT --- I don't know where the "72" rule came from but it's been around for a long time. For example. if you have an investment which returns 6%, it will take 12 years to double your money. Back in the 1980's when one could earn 18 - 20% interest it didn't take long to double your money.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:12 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemson Fan JT View Post
Call me dumb if you will because I am pretty much money market stock market dumb.....I am the dummy that puts a percentage into his 401 each pay period and just lets it sit there........but Mr Joe of someone explain this to me

Never forget this simple rule ----- 72 divided by the interest rate or rate of return will tell you how long it will take to double your money

Where did the 72 come from
As always, Wikipedia knows it all, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_72 . It sounds like it is just some economic or mathematician's quick method of figuring out a rate of return.