Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2022, 07:45 PM
Founder/Publisher

Default Mark Richt: 'Swinney’s loyalty to DJ may be biting him in the rear end'

https://theclemsoninsider.com/2022/1...-the-rear-end/
Old 11-30-2022, 11:16 AM
Way2tall

Default Re: Mark Richt: 'Swinney’s loyalty to DJ may be biting him in the rear end'

Ya think? It's telling that Richt thought DJ was a better punter than a QB Saturday. He's definitely right.
Old 11-30-2022, 12:10 PM
Ring of Honor

Default Re: Mark Richt: 'Swinney’s loyalty to DJ may be biting him in the rear end'

So y'all think Dabo should take coaching advise from a coach who had every advantage in the world at UGA but has little to show for it?
Old 11-30-2022, 12:19 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
So y'all think Dabo should take coaching advise from a coach who had every advantage in the world at UGA but has little to show for it?
Who is saying that Dabo should take advice from anyone? And we all know that he will not. I think MR is correct and we all think the same thing. Nobody understands what is going on with our QB situation. I assume the staff does. And maybe Robert?
Old 11-30-2022, 12:27 PM
Way2tall

Quote:
If what he's saying is accurate, yes.
Old 11-30-2022, 01:43 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
So you’re saying Dabo is an infallible human incapable of errors in assessment & judgment? Hate to break it to you but all coaches make mistakes.
Old 11-30-2022, 01:55 PM
Ring of Honor

Mark Richt has always seemed like a reasonable guy with good coaching insight while I’ve watched him on ACCN. I don’t think he’s out there on the hot take list. Rather, I think he’s trusting his football savy eyes while watching the Tigers play. He knows more about football and head coaching than most in the profession. I won’t disparage him as a failed football coach.

I believe Dabo and Mark have had a good long time relationship. I suspect if speaking with him in private Dabo would listen to his advice. Probably only Woody McCorvey has a closer counseling relationship. Which by the way, Woody needs to pull Dabo aside and wake him up about where the program needs changes.

Last edited by tigerpawgt; 11-30-2022 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-30-2022, 02:30 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerphins View Post
So you’re saying Dabo is an infallible human incapable of errors in assessment & judgment? Hate to break it to you but all coaches make mistakes.
I would politely ask that you not read anything into my comment(s) other than what the words actually say. I have questioned many of Dabo's decisions over the years. The difference is MR is attributing the decisions regarding DJ to stubbornness. My question is how can he know this unless he has insight into the inner workings of the program? Without that knowledge he is simply guessing like the rest of us based on his views of how to run a program which were far less successful than Dabo.
Old 11-30-2022, 04:03 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
I would politely ask that you not read anything into my comment(s) other than what the words actually say. I have questioned many of Dabo's decisions over the years. The difference is MR is attributing the decisions regarding DJ to stubbornness. My question is how can he know this unless he has insight into the inner workings of the program? Without that knowledge he is simply guessing like the rest of us based on his views of how to run a program which were far less successful than Dabo.
Fair enough. But I would defer to two points:
1. When DJ has struggled and Clemson needed bailing out, Dabo felt enough confidence in Cade to insert him into do or die situations. One might be inclined to infer what’s good for the goose is good for the gander.
2. Piggyback the above with: some of DJ’s play has been downright terrible unfortunately… which begs the question— what’s the harm in finding out what Cade can do after a full week with the 1’s, an actual script, and the score a less stressful 0-0? It’s not like he could do any worse, but then the potential is there that he could actually do better.
Old 11-30-2022, 06:54 PM
Two Deep

My takeaway from this is that not only are us fans baffled by what is happening even a seasoned and successful coach can't figure out what is going on with the situation. Not to mention, every "expert" out there who has either played or coached at a high level is confused. We are all on the same page with our bewilderment. The only person who isn't on the same page as the rest of us is.....
Old 11-30-2022, 07:09 PM
Clemson Insider - 2010 March Madness Champ

If you aren't baffled at the choices made the past two years, I don't know what to add.

I appreciate and admire your loyalty. I am equally as loyal as are many. Sorry to pull the card, but here ya go. I'm five generations Alumni deep and 4 generations IPTAY deep based based on when it was founded. I'm allowed to question it.

For ME, it just makes no sense. But that's just me. Whether we suck or not, I will still be there. Sat through many 2 & 3 win seasons, 2 probations, yada yada yada. They can thank me later for the money that's taken for granted. Again, I'm and we are allowed to a question it.
Old 11-30-2022, 07:55 PM
Ring of Honor

My personal theory about the weirdness is the negative influence of the transfer portal. The Tigers have mostly kept the roster together as compared to others (have you noticed how many Bama players are bailing even just this week?). However, at what cost to the tough love coaching many of them need in order to develop? The coaching and the playing decisions seem a bit out of the norm for this program. It’s like the coaches are walking around on eggshells, well perhaps an exaggeration.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:12 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: Mark Richt: 'Swinney’s loyalty to DJ may be biting him in the rear end'

To me the issue isn’t that DJ was in the game. The problem is that in the South Carolina game we kept throwing the ball. We gave our all ACC running back the ball six times in the second half.

What’s up with this blind devotion to the passing game? Dabo can’t possibly have forgotten how well we were able to move the ball back in the day with Spiller. I’m pretty confident I can guess whether we are running the ball or not. If I can do that then you know an experienced defensive coordinator can do it.