Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > All Welcome > Tiger Walk
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2009, 07:14 PM
Managing Editor

Default Fridge in hospital for the last week

William Perry has been hosptialized in Aiken for more than a week fighting symptoms of Guillane-Barre syndrome, the Chicago Sun-Times has reported.
The paper quotes his nephew that a full recovery is expected.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:41 AM
Clemson Insider - 2010 March Madness Champ

Default Re: Fridge in hospital for the last week

Hang in there Fridge!
Old 04-22-2009, 08:22 AM
Charter Member - Clemson Insider

Any Idea as to what Guillane-Barre syndrome is?
Old 04-22-2009, 01:53 PM
Travel Team

Get well soon, Fridge!

For those that didn't have the privilege of seeing the Fridge play back in the 80's, he was one of the most unique athletes in NCAA history.

Not only was he big, but strong as an ox and possessed other abilities as well. At over 300 pounds, he could dunk a basketball.

As a true freshman, he took on David Rimington of Nebraska (a senior) in the Orange Bowl and kicked his butt. I believe his dominance of Rimington was one of the biggest keys to Clemson's biggest and best wins ever. Rimington was reportedly the best OL in the nation that year - as a senior, and William made him his bitch that night.

He hit Herschel Walker head-on at the line of scrimmage and drove him back several yards against Georgia. After the whistle blew, it was a helmet to helmet discussion of "yo momma" on nationwide TV.... Herschell had never been treated like that before.

I watched him single-handedly break up a tarheel double reverse in (I think) 1983, and in that same game at Death Valley, the UNC QB was so shaken by the Fridge's presence, he twisted an ankle trying to avoid a tackle by Perry. We won a very tight game that day because their second team QB just couldn't move the team the rest of the day.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Clemson Insider - 2010 March Madness Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by icmcumin View Post
Get well soon, Fridge!

For those that didn't have the privilege of seeing the Fridge play back in the 80's, he was one of the most unique athletes in NCAA history.

Not only was he big, but strong as an ox and possessed other abilities as well. At over 300 pounds, he could dunk a basketball.

As a true freshman, he took on David Rimington of Nebraska (a senior) in the Orange Bowl and kicked his butt. I believe his dominance of Rimington was one of the biggest keys to Clemson's biggest and best wins ever. Rimington was reportedly the best OL in the nation that year - as a senior, and William made him his bitch that night.

He hit Herschel Walker head-on at the line of scrimmage and drove him back several yards against Georgia. After the whistle blew, it was a helmet to helmet discussion of "yo momma" on nationwide TV.... Herschell had never been treated like that before.

I watched him single-handedly break up a tarheel double reverse in (I think) 1983, and in that same game at Death Valley, the UNC QB was so shaken by the Fridge's presence, he twisted an ankle trying to avoid a tackle by Perry. We won a very tight game that day because their second team QB just couldn't move the team the rest of the day.
Watching him manhandle Herschel is one of my favorite memories in all of my years of watching Clemson football!!
Old 04-22-2009, 08:17 PM
Clemson Insider

What about chasing the RB down! Big man had some speed too.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:47 AM
The Gambler - Charter Member - Clemson Insider - Gate Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemson Fan JT View Post
Any Idea as to what Guillane-Barre syndrome is?

from what i've gathered its some sort of virus that affects the central nervous system. you can catch it like you catch a cold, but its very rare for it to actually develop into guillance-barre syndrome. effects any age, but is usually curable with time. think you have to just wait it out
Old 04-26-2009, 07:42 AM
Clemson Insider

Any updates on the Fridge?
Old 04-27-2009, 03:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
AIKEN, S.C. — Former Chicago Bears defensive lineman William (The Refrigerator) Perry has been upgraded to fair condition in a South Carolina hospital.
The 46-year-old Perry has been hospitalized for two weeks to deal with complications from Guillain-Barre Syndrome, a chronic inflammation disorder of the peripheral nerves. He had previously been listed in serious condition.
Perry's relatives have said he was expected to recover.
Aiken Regional Medical Center spokeswoman Melissa Summer said Monday she could offer no additional details about Perry's hospital stay.
The 300-pound-plus defensive tackle played for the Bears' 1985 Super Bowl team and helped lead Clemson to the 1981 national championship.
Glad to see Fridge is getting better and expected to make a full recovery.