Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2014, 02:33 PM
Owner, Publisher

Default Gurley Torn ACL

Seeing a report that Georgia RB Todd Gurley is done for year after tearing his ACL yesterday.

Probably should fire the Georgia Strength coach and coach should have known not to run him so much...
Old 11-16-2014, 02:43 PM
NFL Tiger

Default Re: Gurley Torn ACL

I don't think it's S&Cs fault that Watson tore his ACL. No contact. That was a freak accident.

What scares me is what our staff did to Willy Korn and other guys who miraculously recovered from injuries and never come back the same player. Sure, this happens occasionally everywhere but I'm terrified of our staff fing this up
Old 11-16-2014, 03:07 PM
Banned

Yesterday was not a good day for injuries in college football.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:25 PM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Thorne MacRae View Post
Seeing a report that Georgia RB Todd Gurley is done for year after tearing his ACL yesterday.

Probably should fire the Georgia Strength coach and coach should have known not to run him so much...
I do know this though-its tough when you have guys who are sure fire next level talents in terms of using them late in games when the outcome is in doubt. That carry happened with 5 minutes left in the game when it was over, and Gurley already had plenty of touches to get the rust off and he could not have been in game shape. I really think that for guys who are in their last year before they head to the NFL (if they are talented juniors as well), you have to err on the side of protecting them.

One of the things that really infuriated me when we didn't bury UNC when we had the chance (we brought Cole in and killed our momentum in the first half), is we had defensive starters out there late in the game. Seeing guys like 3 and 50 and 42 and 93 and 7 out there when they shouldn't need to be makes me nervous.

A lot of NFL scouts said that the Gurley suspension was the best thing for him to save wear and tear, particularly if he was ruled out for the year. Hate it for him and all of the players who are injured. But particularly at a position like RB where you really stress the knees more than any other and need them to be very functional and healthy to be effective, and you have NFL potential.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:29 PM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTigers716 View Post
I don't think it's S&Cs fault that Watson tore his ACL. No contact. That was a freak accident.

What scares me is what our staff did to Willy Korn and other guys who miraculously recovered from injuries and never come back the same player. Sure, this happens occasionally everywhere but I'm terrified of our staff fing this up
Didn't Byron Maxwell tear his ACL early in his career? I think he is one of the more successful ones to come back, and Tony Steward seems to be back as well. Hopefully Peake continues to improve and will have a great year next year. Blanks as well. Choice worries me because he really wasn't a burner before he was injured.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:01 PM
NFL Tiger

I'm sure someone has noticed and is researching this, but odd how these injuries often happen in the Spring or after players have been out for a length of time. (DW because of finger, TG from suspension-1st game back for both- As a Cowboy fan, Sean Lee fits this as well) Could this be a result of not going full speed for awhile and/or going full speed too soon after down time? Just a thought
Old 11-16-2014, 04:28 PM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllOrange67 View Post
I'm sure someone has noticed and is researching this, but odd how these injuries often happen in the Spring or after players have been out for a length of time. (DW because of finger, TG from suspension-1st game back for both- As a Cowboy fan, Sean Lee fits this as well) Could this be a result of not going full speed for awhile and/or going full speed too soon after down time? Just a thought
And preseason NFL there are always a rash of knee and leg ligament injuries it seems. Is it going back to cutting full speed without maybe some acclimation?
Old 11-16-2014, 04:53 PM
Scholarship Player

Football is a contact sport! Hate to see anyone get hurt, but it happens....GET OVER IT! 18 to 22 year old kids all think they are SuperMan. All the training in the world isn't going to stop an injury when you try to do things the natural body resists or if a 300 lb. lineman jumps on top of you and brings you to rude stop between him and the earth or another player built like a brick wall. Injuries are part of the sport, always has been and always will be. All the best training, the best equipment and the best protection rules will never stop that. If it did, we would call it Badminton, not Football!

Last edited by TigerJohn; 11-16-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:13 PM
Clemson Insider - 2010 March Madness Champ

Totally sucks for Gurley. I hate it for him. I have never liked a Georgia player, but he was fun to watch(not so much versus us though)

I wish the young man the best of wishes, but I will say this...why in the hell would Georgia still have him in there with the game in hand? It just sucks