Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2019, 02:57 PM
Owner, Publisher

Default From the Sidelines - Texas A&M

Each week I share some thoughts after watching the Tigers From the Sidelines. In this week's edition my thoughts after watching Clemson dominate Texas A&M From the Sidelines in Death Valley.

- I have to start with the crowd. The Clemson fans showed up and stayed until the game was over. It was one of the best crowds I have seen at Death Valley, especially for a day game. The defense feeds off the fans and they got plenty of support on Saturday.

- Coming into the season the big question was will Clemson have a championship defense after losing the Power Rangers and others to the NFL draft. Well that question was answered against the Aggies. Yes the Tigers have another great defense. That was an outstanding performance against a top 20 program.

- We talked in the offseason about how coach Venables would have some fun with the athletes he has at SAM and safety. He rolled out some of that Saturday using Simmons, Muse and Wallace in a lot of different roles. That gives him some great weapons to mix things up. We may not see much more of that until he needs to bring some more surprises in the playoffs.

- This game was personal for coach Venables and his defense. They wanted to make a statement and they certainly did. I expect to see the same results when Clemson travels to South Carolina.

- It was great to see Lyn-J Dixon play so well. He is a good change of pace from Travis Etienne. His development is critical for next year and he is on his way to being the next great Clemson back.

- Tyler Davis continues to play well. His play in the first two games has been key for the defense. I can't wait to see how he progresses this season.

- Derion Kendrick showed why he is now playing corner. The staff told him to be ready to be a target Saturday and he was ready. The Tigers now have two corners that can play at an elite level. He is only going to get better as he gets more reps which is great news for the Tigers.

- When the Aggies walked to the locker room at the half they looked like they knew they were done. They did a lot of talking during the week, but as Dabo said Clemson did their talking on the field. It didn't take long for them to realize they were in trouble.

- Leon O'Neal Jr did a lot of smack talking during the game. It was great seeing the Clemson offense put him in his place time after time. For someone that was getting his butt kicked he sure did run his mouth a lot. He will never get to experience the College Football Playoff or winning a national championship. He could have had both if he had come to Clemson.

- Xavier Thomas once again was a big factor. I was concerned as he laid on the field after the injury. He came back with a critical sack. It was great to see him back on the field.

- Charlie Whitehurst was on the sidelines Saturday. It is always great to see him back in Clemson. There won't be as much talk about Trevor's hair with Charlie around.

- Trevor played very well after hearing everyone talk about his "freshman moment" last week. The touchdown pass on the scramble reminded me of a play I saw him make his senior year as part of our Tour of Champions. On that play he scrambled to the sideline and threw a perfect pass on one foot to the receiver in the endzone just out of reach of two defenders. His arm allows him to do things very few quarterbacks in college or the NFL can do.

- It was great seeing Amari Rodgers back on the field for the Tigers. We had just talked with him the day before as he watched his brother at a combine in Atlanta before he tore he ACL. It is amazing how quickly he came back from that injury. I hope he has a great season.

- Man was it hot. I think I drank more water Saturday than I ever have. Thanks to the Clemson communications department for providing plenty of water for this game for the media working on the field.

Last edited by Robert Thorne MacRae; 09-11-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:06 PM
Tiger Starter

Default Re: From the Sidelines - Texas A&M

DK isn't afraid to lay the lumber too. I saw him make one tackle and he put everything he had into that hit. Very impressed with him so far
Old 09-11-2019, 04:07 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Born63 View Post
DK isn't afraid to lay the lumber too. I saw him make one tackle and he put everything he had into that hit. Very impressed with him so far
Other than his fantastic play so far, I've noticed the attitude that he plays with. Reminds me of Alexander in that way.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:21 PM
Ring of Honor

I have 2 pairs of tickets in DV, 1 on the 50 and 1 in the Westzone. I sold the pair on the 50. Normally you’d think I should have sold the others; financial considerations aside, I was in the shade the entire game and was very happy about that.

The thing that excites me the most if thinking about how much better they will be once Nov/Dec rolls around.

We are still relatively thin at D-line so hopefully we can continue to “grow” those guys up.

Not an original statement but the TX A&M band is awesome. I was surprised/impressed when the played something right after (and just before Tiger Band played) the “Hero of the Game” was announced. In contrast the the Aggie team, the Aggie fans were very respectful.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:21 PM
Owner, Publisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaTigerfan View Post
Other than his fantastic play so far, I've noticed the attitude that he plays with. Reminds me of Alexander in that way.
Great point. Much needed
Old 09-11-2019, 06:06 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Thorne MacRae View Post
Each week I share some thoughts after watching the Tigers From the Sidelines. In this week's edition my thoughts after watching Clemson dominate Texas A&M From the Sidelines in Death Valley.

- I have to start with the crowd. The Clemson fans showed up and stayed until the game was over. It was one of the best crowds I have seen at Death Valley, especially for a day game. The defense feeds off the fans and they got plenty of support on Saturday.

- Coming into the season the big question was will Clemson have a championship defense after losing the Power Rangers and others to the NFL draft. Well that question was answered against the Aggies. Yes the Tigers have another great defense. That was an outstanding performance against a top 20 program.

- We talked in the offseason about how coach Venables would have some fun with the athletes he has at SAM and safety. He rolled out some of that Saturday using Simmons, Muse and Wallace in a lot of different roles. That gives him some great weapons to mix things up. We may not see much more of that until he needs to bring some more surprises in the playoffs.

- This game was personal for coach Venables and his defense. They wanted to make a statement and they certainly did. I expect to see the same results when Clemson travels to South Carolina.

- It was great to see Lyn-J Dixon play so well. He is a good change of pace from Travis Etienne. His development is critical for next year and he is on his way to being the next great Clemson back.

- Tyler Davis continues to play well. His play in the first two games has been key for the defense. I can't wait to see how he progresses this season.

- Derion Kendrick showed why he is now playing corner. The staff told him to be ready to be a target Saturday and he was ready. The Tigers now have two corners that can play at an elite level. He is only going to get better as he gets more reps which is great news for the Tigers.

- When the Aggies walked to the locker room at the half they looked like they knew they were done. They did a lot of talking during the week, but as Dabo said Clemson did their talking on the field. It didn't take long for them to realize they were in trouble.

- Leon O'Neal Jr did a lot of smack talking during the game. It was great seeing the Clemson offense put him in his place time after time. For someone that was getting his butt kicked he sure did run his mouth a lot. He will never get to experience the College Football Playoff or winning a national championship. He could have had both if he had come to Clemson.

- Xavier Thomas once again was a big factor. I was concerned as he laid on the field after the injury. He came back with a critical sack. It was great to see him back on the field.

- Charlie Whitehurst was on the sidelines Saturday. It is always great to see him back in Clemson. There won't be as much talk about Trevor's hair with Charlie around.

- Trevor played very well after hearing everyone talk about his "freshman moment" last week. The touchdown pass on the scramble reminded me of a play I saw him make his senior year as part of our Tour of Champions. On that play he scrambled to the sideline and threw a perfect pass on one foot to the receiver in the endzone just out of reach of two defenders. His arm allows him to do things very few quarterbacks in college or the NFL can do.

- It was great seeing Amari Rodgers back on the field for the Tigers. We had just talked with him the day before as he watched his brother at a combine in Atlanta before he tore he ACL. It is amazing how quickly he came back from that injury. I hope he has a great season.

- Man was it hot. I think I drank more water Saturday than I ever have. Thanks to the Clemson communications department for providing plenty of water for this game for the media working on the field.

I remember him talking bad about BV in the recruiting process too. Another satisfying thing was watching him get smoked a few times.