Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2019, 07:13 PM
Owner, Publisher

Default The Insider Report

It is time for this week's edition of The Insider Report.

We hope everyone had a great weekend. It was a fun one in Louisville for the Tiger fans that made the trip.

Hall Ready to Announce

2020 4-star Power Forward PJ Hall is ready to announce where he will play at the next level.

Hall took an official visit to Clemson in September and just recently took his official to Virginia Tech. The top 65 prospect plans to announce between the Tigers and the Hokies Thursday afternoon.

Our sources tell us that the Tigers feel good about their chances of landing the Dorman standout Thursday. As you know things haven't exactly gone as planned for a couple of other in-state top prospects on the court in the past couple of year so anything can happen. But the Tigers are much more confident than with Williamson or James.

Clemson coaches think the world of Satterfield

It was about 20 minutes after the game this past Saturday, and I was on my way down from the press box following Clemson’s win over Louisville. I rode the elevator down with one of Clemson’s staffers from the football office.

We had a good conversation before the elevator got there and, of course, a good one as we walked to the locker room and the interview area for the players and coaches.

In the elevator, he spoke to the lady running it. She was very nice, and she congratulated him on the victory. He said thank you and then proceeded to tell her how their turn is coming.

“We really like your head coach,” he said in referring to Louisville head coach Scott Satterfield. “We think the world of him at Clemson. We think he is going to do great things here.”

It was nice to hear him be so gracious when he did not have to. It gives perspective on how classy the Clemson staff is. He did not have to do that, but he did, and he did it in such a classy way.

This is why Etienne is a special running back

When we got off the elevator, I told him how I hated that Travis Etienne got banged up because he was eight yards away from 200, which would have made him the first Clemson running back in program history to rush for 200 yards in three different games. It is amazing to think that out of all the great running backs Clemson has had it has not happened.

Anyway, he told me, “That’s okay! He will get it later this year. You can count on it.”

You have to like the confidence the staff has in Etienne when it comes to setting a record like that one.

Clemson does not worry about Lawrence’s interceptions

We also talked about Trevor Lawrence’s two interceptions and three touchdown passes, as well. He said, when Lawrence throws an interception, they don’t worry about his psyche at all.

“It is great to have a young man who does not let it affect his play for the rest of the game. He is unique that way. He is a lot like Deshaun. He just moves on to the next play.”

The Clemson staffer said he has had other quarterbacks he has coached, who could not do that. They would throw a couple of picks early in the game and then they were done. They never could recover. Their confidence was shot.

He said Lawrence does not get that way. He trusts his ability and his receivers.

Speaking of his receivers, he told me the touchdown catch Justyn Ross made is something they practice a couple of times a week in their scramble drills. They work a lot in the back of the end zone trying to catch passes just like the one Ross caught on Saturday.

He said Lawrence was not trying to throw the ball away. He threw the ball where he was coached to throw it on that kind of play, and he put it where only his receiver could get it. He said that is how NFL quarterbacks are coached, too. Throw the ball up there in the back of the end zone and make sure only your receiver can get it. He said if Ross would have missed it, the pass would have gone out of the back of the end zone and they would have kicked the field goal.

Please do not copy or paste this information to any other media outlets. As you know TCI is Free so if you know someone that wants the information simply send them to The Rock.

Last edited by Robert Thorne MacRae; 10-21-2019 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:21 PM
NFL Tiger

Default Re: The Insider Report

Quote:
“That’s okay! He will get it later this year. You can count on it.”
Music to my ears
Old 10-21-2019, 07:51 PM
NFL Tiger

Good stuff Robert. I thought the Clemson staff was nearly 100% Zion was coming, so this is sounding pretty good.

Time to move on from Trevor’s interceptions. Instead let’s start fretting over the hits he’s taking running the ball .
Old 10-21-2019, 08:20 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: The Insider Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Thorne MacRae View Post
We also talked about Trevor Lawrence’s two interceptions and three touchdown passes, as well. He said, when Lawrence throws an interception, they don’t worry about his psyche at all.

“It is great to have a young man who does not let it affect his play for the rest of the game. He is unique that way. He is a lot like Deshaun. He just moves on to the next play.”

The Clemson staffer said he has had other quarterbacks he has coached, who could not do that. They would throw a couple of picks early in the game and then they were done. They never could recover. Their confidence was shot.

He said Lawrence does not get that way. He trusts his ability and his receivers.
I am glad that TL does not dwell on a mistake, but it would be nice if he actually learned from the mistake in the sense he does not repeat it.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:06 AM
Walk On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger80 View Post
I am glad that TL does not dwell on a mistake, but it would be nice if he actually learned from the mistake in the sense he does not repeat it.
Shut up. He’s one of the best qbs in the country. He’s been going through a little slump but he’s still better in his slump than what 90% of the country has. You sound like a whiny baby complaining that your future #1 pick qb isn’t performing up to your standards. It’s not as cut and dry as “learn and don’t repeat it”, you would probably know this if you made it past rec league. We used to go 6-7, 7-6, 8-4 every year so quit the whining and praise these young men who give you the privilege of cheering on awesome football games and seasons.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:24 AM
Two Deep

Our immense success has made a certain faction of our fanbase very spoiled.

I can’t tell if it’s the voice of new bandwagon fans who expect perfection at all times or old school fans who will never be satisfied.

Having become a fan during the Hatfield/West years and a student during the Bowden years, I can assure you I am soaking up all of this success and enjoying the ride. It’s not going to last forever. Trust in Dabo. Trust the process.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:48 AM
Tiger Starter

That was a good one Robert. Really good stuff.

I like Satterfield too. He's a million times better than Petrino that's for sure
Old 10-22-2019, 09:56 AM
Tiger Starter

Deshaun threw 17 interceptions in 2016. I think that season turned out pretty well.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:01 AM
Way2tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmoanderson View Post
Shut up. He’s one of the best qbs in the country. He’s been going through a little slump but he’s still better in his slump than what 90% of the country has. You sound like a whiny baby complaining that your future #1 pick qb isn’t performing up to your standards. It’s not as cut and dry as “learn and don’t repeat it”, you would probably know this if you made it past rec league. We used to go 6-7, 7-6, 8-4 every year so quit the whining and praise these young men who give you the privilege of cheering on awesome football games and seasons.
+1
Old 10-22-2019, 12:41 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmoanderson View Post
This is a message board, where opinions are shared. GFY if you don't like an opinion. Tiger 80 made a valid point about repeating the mistake of running all the way to the sideline and attempting to throw past the sticks. Trevor admitted it was a bad throw the first time, but yet he felt he could complete it a second time. You sound like the bitchy old man that sits behind me at games. If you wish to sway opinions, try making a more persuasive argument.