Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 08:59 AM
Clemson Insider - 2010 March Madness Champ

Default Re: How Do You Feel About the ACC Agreement with Notre Dame?

Did anybody hear the ACC Sports Journal Guy on Plyer's show this am?

Here's what I took away. Football revenue is 80%. 20% all other sports. ND at this point will only get a cut of the 20%(sports they participate in)

Yes they can go to one of our bowls and keep the money, BUT the ACC will pay zero expenses for them. The take is, we have another chip to bargain with in terms of bowl line up with ND attached to the ACC not to mention back to the bargaining table with ESPN.

Yup, ND hasn't been relevant in 20+ years(many would argue neither have we), but don't kid yourself into thinking that makes their brand irrelevant. ND is one of the most recognizable brands in all of sport. In addition, we(the acc) get to play on NBC 5xs a year....priceless AND we can say suck it to ESPN(which I like)

No one knows how the playoff system is going to work yet...but did we not hear/read that the four needed to have played FOR A CONFERENCE Title? To me that suggests the writing is on the wall for any independent..or rather a death knell. We shall see...

The kicker for me---revoke the 9 game conference schedule...I'll be happy and will sit back and watch this thing play out. My gut tells me that 5 years from now, people will be saying what a coup this was for the ACC.

And for the record, I DESPISE Notre Dame, but they sure as heck are better than Syracuse
Old 09-13-2012, 09:02 AM
NFL Tiger

After almost 24 hours of digestion, I have figured out a few things.
1. The people that wanted out of the ACC hate this development. The people that wanted to stay are (for the most part) happy.
2. No one is overly happy with this so I think it might be a good thing.
3. All the articles that I have seen so far say that the ACC will end up with more money.
4. Most of the talking heads seem to agree that this was the best thing that could have happened to the ACC.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:39 AM
NFL Tiger

I was more enthusiastic when I thought we were going to play them every year. Now that has tapered a good bit.

And if we can't dump the 9 game schedule, then I say this is again a decision that benefits the conference but hurts Clemson.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:00 AM
NFL Tiger

My instinct reaction yesterday (and my facebook comment... oops) was to be upset and call Swofford a moron. ND is a football school... regardless of their recent unsuccessful/non-relevant seasons. So, to not get them for football seems like a failure, from the onset.

However, after reading some of these posts and having some time to digest it, I think this is just a baby-step to get that football team into the ACC. I guess we had to start somewhere and obviously the ACC is the only conference that has made any head-way in getting them. It may take NBC and/or ESPN's cooperation & $$$ to get them to fully commit, but it will probably be worth it in the end. It's just difficult to be excited about something that looks like it will be a long, drawn-out process that we will most likely not see our desired outcome until 3-5 years from now.

We all live in a microwave & fast food world. So, we like results RIGHT NOW. Patiently waiting is not something that most of us are very good at... especially me.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:04 AM
Travel Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigeroid View Post
Danny wasn't the head coach in 1977. Pell was. I sat right behind the bench and Danny Ford never showed his butt. He was the offensive line coach.
You are exactly right. It was Pell. The old memory is back now. I never said that Danny showed his butt. The penalties killed us though.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:13 AM
Ring of Honor

As I said yesterday, this deal could be good for the ACC, but right now all we are left with is a bunch of hopes;

I hope this allows us to overturn the 9 game conference schedule
I hope this allows us to get better bowls
I hope this gives us more tv revenue
I hope Notre Dame breaks from tradition and joins the conference fully.

That said, I think it will be quite some time before we find out if adding Notre Dame is beneficial or not.

Last edited by Cutigergrad04; 09-13-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:12 AM
Two Deep

This was a mild step in the right direction, but certainly no game changer. In fact, it could be argued with the $50MM buyout fee, it locks Clemson in to a weakened position with harsher exit options.

The problem with the ACC on the football side is too many schools that dont carry their own weight-the Duke's, Wake's, BC's etc. But they share equally in the meager football revenue. So the Clemson's and FSU's are subsidizing them.

This happens in all the conferences, but its FAR worse in the ACC than the other major conferences. There is no equivalent to Wake Forest or Duke in those other major power conferences (tiny enrollments etc.).

If the ACC was smart, they would have set this up where there is a rotation amonth the FB power schools that is heavier with ND than with the smaller schools. They woulld play FSU, VT, CLEM more often than they play Duke. Then those games that you are selling to the networks, are more attractive and bring in more money.

So, long story short after this long rambling response-this is a slight positive-but kind of a meh.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:19 PM
Travel Team

I like it from the standpoint of how it looks for the conference and I'm not usually a negative guy, but I have to say Deptula made some interesting points yesterday. Everybody knows their current contract with NBC ends in a couple of years. He made the statement that they were in negotiations before this took place and were waiting for this to push it to close. It will only help their standing with NBC and if they announce a 5-10 year deal in the next month or two with NBC, then you could say ND will definately laugh all the way to the bank. I know we don't split football money with them, but this will strengthen their ability to get more money from NBC.

I do like the fact that the ACC gets exposure on NBC 5 times a year though. This is kind of a wait and see thing for me.. I'm going to wait and see if they announce a new contract and if they honor their part of the agreement in football, something they've been known not to do..

One more thing -- If they announce a 10 year deal with NBC, then we will never see ND join the ACC in football!! That will really piss me off if they get a long term deal out of this. The hope is they join in the future, but I've got to see it to believe it.

Last edited by hawkfrost; 09-13-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:04 PM
Tiger Starter

The main thing this has to change is the 9 game schedule. If that stays then Clemson, GT, and FSU are operating at a decided disadvantage to the other ACC schools due to our rivalry games.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:52 PM
Travel Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cufan View Post
The main thing this has to change is the 9 game schedule. If that stays then Clemson, GT, and FSU are operating at a decided disadvantage to the other ACC schools due to our rivalry games.
I agree 100%.. That would be the biggest immediate advantage of getting ND in the fold albeit partially..
Old 09-13-2012, 02:28 PM
Scholarship Player

First off I want to say I hate ND and have my entire life. The only time I pull for them is against the Coots!!! BUT - Reality is - ND is arguably The most marketable team in College football, and has been so in the last 50 or so years. The ACC can only benefit from having them. As far as Clemson is concerned, I think Dabo will have the answer to that,WIN!!!!!! He has had a vision from day one. That is to be a top rated team every year!!!!! We're getting there. just not an over night thing. Plus - There's Magic in Them Hills and that will never go away!!!!!

Go TIGERS!!!!!
Old 09-13-2012, 03:53 PM
Travel Team

It's a great day in South Bend!!