Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2022, 07:35 AM
Two Deep

Default Clemson Recruiting 2023

Well, it’s time to turn the page to the 2023 recruiting class. While 2022 did not end up quite as well as we originally anticipated, Clemson did rally to close the February signing period with some talented additions. There were some projects but, we were also able to add some players that should contribute early in their career. A top-15 haul after losing the coaches we did is a win to me, especially considering the new landscape we are in.

Speaking of that, Clemson enters this 2023 recruiting period still navigating murky waters. There is no question we are behind other programs as it comes to NIL. However, we also are still in a position of strength as one of the top overall programs in the country and have seemingly shown that our pitch at this time is that Clemson is just built “different”. It will be interesting to see how this tactic evolves.

A new development in the recruiting game looks to be getting players on campus for spring practice. All the major programs are setting the unofficial visit weekends up and the first big one for Clemson is Mar 5. Several of our primary targets plan to be in attendance. One large omission is our top QB prospect who will be at Notre Dame then. He does plan to visit one of the following weekends as do others. I think this next month will do a lot to shape our “big board” on who our top targets are.

With that being said, we continue to chase several big fish that are being coveted by all the top programs. At this time, I have compiled a list of the ones that I have seen showing the most reciprocated interest. As in years past, I only add players to the tracking list that have an official offer. There are several other prospects we are in on and, since recruiting is fluid, this will change a lot by December:

Current Commitments (1)
Nathaniel Joseph WR 4*

In Good Position to Land Commitment (0)

Others Strongly Considering (16)
Christopher Vizzina QB 4*
Richard Young RB 5*
Noah Rogers WR 4*
Christian Hamilton WR 4*
Jaxon Howard TE 4*
Monroe Freeling OL 4*
Sam Pendleton OL 3*
Peter Woods DL 5*
Vic Burley DL 5*
Rico Walker DE 4*
Josiah Trotter LB 4*
AJ Harris CB 5*
Avieon Terrell CB 4*
Braxton Myers CB 4*
DaKaari Nelson S 4*
Moussa Kane S 3*

Mutual Interest Waning (0)

Removed from Consideration (0)

Last edited by BloodTiger; 02-23-2022 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-23-2022, 09:02 AM
Ring of Honor

Default Re: Clemson Recruiting 2023

I just wanted to say thanks to BloodTiger for keeping this list in front of us.
Old 02-23-2022, 12:00 PM
Way2tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
I just wanted to say thanks to BloodTiger for keeping this list in front of us.
+1. Not sure what your day job is, Blood, but I appreciate all the time you put into keeping us up to date.
Old 02-23-2022, 04:17 PM
Two Deep

Thank you gents. It does take a bit of time to keep up with everything but it is a labor of love. I’ve been following recruiting since HS, basically when the internet was created. Back then Tom Lemming’s national recruiting report was the only consistently reliable source. Now we are so spoiled with the options available but I would never pay for a recruiting service. There is so much good info out there from message boards and “free” sites. I like the search.
Old 02-23-2022, 09:46 PM
Ring of Honor

Yes Blood, thanks for the research and updates
Old 02-23-2022, 10:25 PM
TCI Staff - Recruiting Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodTiger View Post
Well, it’s time to turn the page to the 2023 recruiting class. While 2022 did not end up quite as well as we originally anticipated, Clemson did rally to close the February signing period with some talented additions. There were some projects but, we were also able to add some players that should contribute early in their career. A top-15 haul after losing the coaches we did is a win to me, especially considering the new landscape we are in.

Speaking of that, Clemson enters this 2023 recruiting period still navigating murky waters. There is no question we are behind other programs as it comes to NIL. However, we also are still in a position of strength as one of the top overall programs in the country and have seemingly shown that our pitch at this time is that Clemson is just built “different”. It will be interesting to see how this tactic evolves.

A new development in the recruiting game looks to be getting players on campus for spring practice. All the major programs are setting the unofficial visit weekends up and the first big one for Clemson is Mar 5. Several of our primary targets plan to be in attendance. One large omission is our top QB prospect who will be at Notre Dame then. He does plan to visit one of the following weekends as do others. I think this next month will do a lot to shape our “big board” on who our top targets are.

With that being said, we continue to chase several big fish that are being coveted by all the top programs. At this time, I have compiled a list of the ones that I have seen showing the most reciprocated interest. As in years past, I only add players to the tracking list that have an official offer. There are several other prospects we are in on and, since recruiting is fluid, this will change a lot by December:

Current Commitments (1)
Nathaniel Joseph WR 4*

In Good Position to Land Commitment (0)

Others Strongly Considering (16)
Christopher Vizzina QB 4*
Richard Young RB 5*
Noah Rogers WR 4*
Christian Hamilton WR 4*
Jaxon Howard TE 4*
Monroe Freeling OL 4*
Sam Pendleton OL 3*
Peter Woods DL 5*
Vic Burley DL 5*
Rico Walker DE 4*
Josiah Trotter LB 4*
AJ Harris CB 5*
Avieon Terrell CB 4*
Braxton Myers CB 4*
DaKaari Nelson S 4*
Moussa Kane S 3*

Mutual Interest Waning (0)

Removed from Consideration (0)
This is great, would definitely add KJ Sampson, Dee Crayton and Justice Haynes. Also, they're looking at Kane as a cornerback.
Old 02-24-2022, 07:57 AM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Thank you gents. It does take a bit of time to keep up with everything but it is a labor of love. I’ve been following recruiting since HS, basically when the internet was created. Back then Tom Lemming’s national recruiting report was the only consistently reliable source. Now we are so spoiled with the options available but I would never pay for a recruiting service. There is so much good info out there from message boards and “free” sites. I like the search.
Back in the late 70s and early 80s (I am almost 60) the only two sources for recruiting info was something called The Poop Sheet (was a weekly or monthly newsletter) and Phil Kornblut on WRIX radio. I was working after school and Saturdays at a lumber yard in Anderson and would stop by a newsstand on Mainstreet to pick up the Poop Sheet to see the latest recruiting news.

The world has changed a bunch in just my few years on this earth...
Old 02-24-2022, 11:14 AM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Neumann View Post
This is great, would definitely add KJ Sampson, Dee Crayton and Justice Haynes. Also, they're looking at Kane as a cornerback.
Thanks for the heads up Sam. I will definitely look into Sampson and Crayton. I think the latter is the LB we just offered, right?

As far as Justice Haynes, I will believe he's not going to UGA when he pays us more than a bit of lip service. He is a legacy of a former dawg player and we know our track record on going up against them with RBs they want.
Old 02-24-2022, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up Sam. I will definitely look into Sampson and Crayton. I think the latter is the LB we just offered, right?

As far as Justice Haynes, I will believe he's not going to UGA when he pays us more than a bit of lip service. He is a legacy of a former dawg player and we know our track record on going up against them with RBs they want.
Yep. We have a story on Crayton on the front page. Totally understand your thoughts on Haynes. Definitely believe it when you see it with him, but was big for him to attend Elite Junior Day and he and his father have spoken glowingly of Clemson. I think they may be in a better position with him than Richard Young, who hasn't visited since the summer.

I ultimately think Jarvis Green (Dutch Fork) is a name worth watching. Only a matter of time before they offer him.
Old 02-24-2022, 12:48 PM
Two Deep

Quote:
Yep. We have a story on Crayton on the front page. Totally understand your thoughts on Haynes. Definitely believe it when you see it with him, but was big for him to attend Elite Junior Day and he and his father have spoken glowingly of Clemson. I think they may be in a better position with him than Richard Young, who hasn't visited since the summer.

I ultimately think Jarvis Green (Dutch Fork) is a name worth watching. Only a matter of time before they offer him.
I hope you’re right on Haynes but I know OSU also has said they think they are in good standing with him as well so it seems like he is keeping options open at this point.

I have heard Young is keeping tabs on Arch and where he goes so he’s definitely a longshot at this point but he’s the biggest fish we are chasing and has shown interest.

Agreed on Green. I have him on my radar but since we haven’t offered yet, didn’t want to include him just yet.
Old 04-11-2022, 11:50 AM
Two Deep

A few quick updates:

Things are pointing up for our primary quarterback target Christopher Vizzina after several campus visits recently. He will be committing tomorrow.

Running back target Richard Young did not include us in his recent Top-7 released on Twitter. We do not have much traction right now with any of the three prospects we have offered. In-state option Jarvis Green has yet to be offered but that may be coming sooner rather than later.

A couple new TE offers have gone out so it seems that board is being re-prioritized. No one stands out just yet as our main target so it will be interesting to see how this evolves.

On the offensive line, things are trending upwards for top targets Sullivan Absher and Zechariah Owens. In-state prospect Monroe Freeling seems to be trending away. There is a lot of smoke with OSU right now but there is a long way to go.

On the defensive line things continue to progress with Vic Burley. He appears to be the 5* we have the most traction with at this time. It would be good to get him in the fold to help with recruiting momentum.

At linebacker, Josiah Trotter will be announcing his decision on Friday. While no predictions have dropped yet, you have to think we are in the drivers seat with the family connection, familiarity and how long we have been recruiting him.

At corner, things seem to be falling off between us and AJ Harris. His connection with Florida DB coach Corey Raymond appears to be very strong and, at this time, they look like they will be his pick.

It was good to get a bunch of kids on campus for spring practices and, ultimately, the spring game. We continue to be in the game for several elite prospects but I would be lying if I said there was any certainty in these recruiting battles in this NIL era. It seems like things completely change day-to-day.

Our next big recruiting weekend will be in early June. This is a departure from Dabo's previous policy of not allowing official visits before the season. It is obvious we are realizing we need to adapt to this new landscape as what we have been doing previously is not yielding the same results. I applaud our staff for trying to stay up with the times but still maintain our culture.

These are interesting times to be sure.

Quote:

Current Commitments (1)
Nathaniel Joseph WR 4*

In Good Position to Land Commitment (4)
Christopher Vizzina QB 4* (Committing 4/12)
Sam Pendleton OL 3*
Vic Burley DL 5*
Josiah Trotter LB 4* (Committing 4/15)

Others Strongly Considering (12)
Noah Rogers WR 4*
Christian Hamilton WR 4*
Jaxon Howard TE 4*
Monroe Freeling OL 4*
Sullivan Absher OL 4* (Recruiting focus intensifying)
Zechariah Owens OL 4* (Recruiting focus intensifying)
Peter Woods DL 5*
Rico Walker DE 4*
Avieon Terrell CB 4*
Braxton Myers CB 4*
DaKaari Nelson S 4*
Moussa Kane S 3*

Mutual Interest Waning (1)
AJ Harris CB 5* (No buzz)

Removed from Consideration (1)
Richard Young RB 5* (Not included in Twitter Top-7)
Old 04-11-2022, 07:20 PM
NFL Tiger

Woof. I gotta say, I’ve gotten used to hearing nothing but good stuff on the recruiting trail the last few years. Looks like our recruiting is really starting to fal off. I think we can still be a top 20-25 team, but looks like our window is closing and leaner times are ahead.
Old 04-11-2022, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTigers716 View Post
Woof. I gotta say, I’ve gotten used to hearing nothing but good stuff on the recruiting trail the last few years. Looks like our recruiting is really starting to fal off. I think we can still be a top 20-25 team, but looks like our window is closing and leaner times are ahead.
I think the next few weeks or so will have you changing your tone.
Old 04-11-2022, 08:42 PM

Quote:
A few quick updates:

Things are pointing up for our primary quarterback target Christopher Vizzina after several campus visits recently. He will be committing tomorrow.

Running back target Richard Young did not include us in his recent Top-7 released on Twitter. We do not have much traction right now with any of the three prospects we have offered. In-state option Jarvis Green has yet to be offered but that may be coming sooner rather than later.

A couple new TE offers have gone out so it seems that board is being re-prioritized. No one stands out just yet as our main target so it will be interesting to see how this evolves.

On the offensive line, things are trending upwards for top targets Sullivan Absher and Zechariah Owens. In-state prospect Monroe Freeling seems to be trending away. There is a lot of smoke with OSU right now but there is a long way to go.

On the defensive line things continue to progress with Vic Burley. He appears to be the 5* we have the most traction with at this time. It would be good to get him in the fold to help with recruiting momentum.

At linebacker, Josiah Trotter will be announcing his decision on Friday. While no predictions have dropped yet, you have to think we are in the drivers seat with the family connection, familiarity and how long we have been recruiting him.

At corner, things seem to be falling off between us and AJ Harris. His connection with Florida DB coach Corey Raymond appears to be very strong and, at this time, they look like they will be his pick.

It was good to get a bunch of kids on campus for spring practices and, ultimately, the spring game. We continue to be in the game for several elite prospects but I would be lying if I said there was any certainty in these recruiting battles in this NIL era. It seems like things completely change day-to-day.

Our next big recruiting weekend will be in early June. This is a departure from Dabo's previous policy of not allowing official visits before the season. It is obvious we are realizing we need to adapt to this new landscape as what we have been doing previously is not yielding the same results. I applaud our staff for trying to stay up with the times but still maintain our culture.

These are interesting times to be sure.
Very happy to see you do these, I'd check out our Insider Report tonight. Also, Sam Pendleton now has Notre Dame as his top school. I don't think he'll be ending up at Clemson, FWIW.
Old 04-12-2022, 09:41 AM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Very happy to see you do these, I'd check out our Insider Report tonight. Also, Sam Pendleton now has Notre Dame as his top school. I don't think he'll be ending up at Clemson, FWIW.
Sam, in your eyes, does it appear that Freeling and Pendleton are slipping down the board? Absher and Owens are probably better prospects, but it would be nice to snag two fairly local players as well.
Old 04-12-2022, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawStudent View Post
Sam, in your eyes, does it appear that Freeling and Pendleton are slipping down the board? Absher and Owens are probably better prospects, but it would be nice to snag two fairly local players as well.
I don't get that feeling with Freeling, but definitely with Pendleton. That's likely why they offered Ian Reed this past weekend. Ownes, Absher, Freeling and Harris Sewell seem to be at the top of their board. Sewell seems Texas-bound, but you never know.
Old 04-12-2022, 10:44 AM
Two Deep

Quote:
Thanks Sam. TBH, I do it as much for myself as anything. It’s nice to see everything in a one-stop-shop.

It appears I already have a needed addition with David Ojiegbe based on your article the other day.

Bummer on Pendleton. Maybe we can swing him back.
Old 05-11-2022, 05:22 PM
Two Deep

The good news is, since the last post we received commitments from three priority players at their position.
Christopher Vizzina became our sole focus at QB when we dropped out of the Arch Manning sweepstakes. This is a huge pickup at the most important position on the field. Getting this position locked up helps with recruiting efforts as they are traditionally a leader on the team and MOST kids want to win while they are in school so having a succession plan at quarterback is huge.
I mentioned that we were re-prioritizing our tight end board after some slippage on our initial top targets. Reid Mikeska became our top guy and we were able to secure his comittemnt soon after. This is a position we have not featured much in recent years that needs to become a weapon again.
David Ojiegbe is a very athletic edge rush prospect and someone we got in on ahead of other contenders. He is a bit raw in his development but the type of guy we can work wonders with in our system.

The bad news is, NIL continues to rear its ugly head on the trail. Several prospects that we were once considered main contenders for are not even including us in their top-5 or top-10 lists. To be honest, it is making following recruiting a bit tedious as it seems the playing field is ever-shifting. I am not naïve enough to admit that kids have not always been getting paid but when it was behind closed doors and only for the elite prospects, it at least was held in check. We are now in the wild west where anyone can have a hand out and Clemson has made it clear that we will not pursue players that have money as their top priority. On one hand, I hate to see the path that college football is going down but, on the other, I COMPLETELY understand these kids wanting to get their piece of the pie. It is generational wealth that some of them are being offered and who am I to blame someone for seeking out guaranteed life-changing money.

All that being said, our board has shifted at several positions so a couple updates:

RB
None of the current offers are in play so the staff has been in contact with alternate targets. See Sam's story from earlier this week.

WR
Noah Rogers is trending towards Ohio State.

Not a lot of buzz with Christian Hamilton but he is still in play. Need to get him to visit this summer.

Tyler Williams included us in his recent top-10 but all the big boys are after him. He really likes us but will that be enough to win out in the end?

I foresee future offers going out.

OL
Most of initial primary targets are trending away (Pendleton, Absher, Freeling, Anderson). Sam wrote an article about Fletcher Westphal earlier this week and he seems like a good candidate. Other targets are sure to emerge.

DL
Vic Burley continues to be our best chance at a 5* in this class but UGA and UT will be competition to the end. He does not plan to make a decision until the fall.

There has been increased focus on AJ Hoffler out of Atlanta and Desmond Umeozulu out of Maryland. Ohio State is the main competition for the former and several ACC & BIG schools for the latter.

LB
Jamal Anderson has emerged as our primary target at linebacker.

DB
Braeden Marshall and Branden Strozier have emerged as primary targets at corner. UNC & BIG Schools are pushing for the former and UT is the biggest competition for the latter.

DaKaari Nelson seems to be the main focus at safety.

Caleb Downs continues to show interest but that is a UGA v OSU battle. Don't hold your breath.

Quote:

Current Commitments (4)
Christopher Vizzina QB 4* (Committed 4/12)
Nathaniel Joseph WR 4*
Reid Mikeska TE 3* (Committed 4/13)
David Ojiegbe DE 4* (Committed 4/27)

In Good Position to Land Commitment (1)
Vic Burley DL 5*

Others Strongly Considering (15)
Christian Hamilton WR 4*
Tyler Williams WR 4* (Included in May Twitter Top-10)
Monroe Freeling OL 4*
Sullivan Absher OL 4*
Zechariah Owens OL 4*
Peter Woods DL 5*
AJ Hoffler DL 4* (Added focus)
Rico Walker DE 4*
Desmond Umeozulu DE 4* (Added focus)
Jamal Anderson LB 4* (Added focus)
Avieon Terrell CB 4*
Braxton Myers CB 4* (Committing 5/16)
Braeden Marshall CB 4* (Added focus)
Branden Strozier CB 3* (Added focus)
DaKaari Nelson S 4*

Mutual Interest Waning (4)
Noah Rogers WR 4* (Trending to OSU)
Jaxon Howard TE 4* (Took commitment from TE)
AJ Harris CB 5*
Moussa Kane S 3* (Prioritizing other players)

Removed from Consideration (3)
Richard Young RB 5*
Sam Pendleton OL 3* (Committed to ND)
Josiah Trotter LB 3* (Committed to WVU)
Old 05-11-2022, 09:33 PM

Quote:
The good news is, since the last post we received commitments from three priority players at their position.
Christopher Vizzina became our sole focus at QB when we dropped out of the Arch Manning sweepstakes. This is a huge pickup at the most important position on the field. Getting this position locked up helps with recruiting efforts as they are traditionally a leader on the team and MOST kids want to win while they are in school so having a succession plan at quarterback is huge.
I mentioned that we were re-prioritizing our tight end board after some slippage on our initial top targets. Reid Mikeska became our top guy and we were able to secure his comittemnt soon after. This is a position we have not featured much in recent years that needs to become a weapon again.
David Ojiegbe is a very athletic edge rush prospect and someone we got in on ahead of other contenders. He is a bit raw in his development but the type of guy we can work wonders with in our system.

The bad news is, NIL continues to rear its ugly head on the trail. Several prospects that we were once considered main contenders for are not even including us in their top-5 or top-10 lists. To be honest, it is making following recruiting a bit tedious as it seems the playing field is ever-shifting. I am not naïve enough to admit that kids have not always been getting paid but when it was behind closed doors and only for the elite prospects, it at least was held in check. We are now in the wild west where anyone can have a hand out and Clemson has made it clear that we will not pursue players that have money as their top priority. On one hand, I hate to see the path that college football is going down but, on the other, I COMPLETELY understand these kids wanting to get their piece of the pie. It is generational wealth that some of them are being offered and who am I to blame someone for seeking out guaranteed life-changing money.

All that being said, our board has shifted at several positions so a couple updates:

RB
None of the current offers are in play so the staff has been in contact with alternate targets. See Sam's story from earlier this week.

WR
Noah Rogers is trending towards Ohio State.

Not a lot of buzz with Christian Hamilton but he is still in play. Need to get him to visit this summer.

Tyler Williams included us in his recent top-10 but all the big boys are after him. He really likes us but will that be enough to win out in the end?

I foresee future offers going out.

OL
Most of initial primary targets are trending away (Pendleton, Absher, Freeling, Anderson). Sam wrote an article about Fletcher Westphal earlier this week and he seems like a good candidate. Other targets are sure to emerge.

DL
Vic Burley continues to be our best chance at a 5* in this class but UGA and UT will be competition to the end. He does not plan to make a decision until the fall.

There has been increased focus on AJ Hoffler out of Atlanta and Desmond Umeozulu out of Maryland. Ohio State is the main competition for the former and several ACC & BIG schools for the latter.

LB
Jamal Anderson has emerged as our primary target at linebacker.

DB
Braeden Marshall and Branden Strozier have emerged as primary targets at corner. UNC & BIG Schools are pushing for the former and UT is the biggest competition for the latter.

DaKaari Nelson seems to be the main focus at safety.

Caleb Downs continues to show interest but that is a UGA v OSU battle. Don't hold your breath.

Thanks for doing this as always. They're in a great position with Dee Crayton at the linebacker position as well. I'm speaking with a new running back target as well tomorrow: Former Rutgers commit Christopher Johnson Jr. out of Florida...He told me that Spiller is showing a lot of love.

As for safety, I'd say that Kylen Webb is slowly creeping up into Nelson terriorty.

Penn State seems to be the leader in the clubhouse for Zechariah Owens, Tony Rojas and now Dakaari Nelson as well.

Another receiver to monitor is Ronan Hanafin.
Old 05-12-2022, 08:13 AM
Two Deep

Good stuff. Thank you for the new names to track!