Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2018, 08:20 PM
Publisher, Recruiting Editor

Default The Insider Report

It is time for this weekís edition of The Insider Report.

We hope everyone had a great weekend. It was the first weekend in a long time with no Clemson events for the TCI staff to cover.

Latest on Top LB Target

Clemson played host to several major visitors this past weekend following the conclusion of the Dabo Swinney Camp on Thursday.

One of those visitors was Birmingham (Ala.) Jackson-Olin four-star linebacker Lavonta Bentley, whom the Tigers have made a top priority and continue to push for. He arrived to campus Friday evening and departed Saturday morning.

While there, Bentley had a chance to spend more time the current players. He met most of the linebackers and stayed the night with Clemson defensive linemen Darnell Jefferies and Justin Mascoll, and the three ate lunch with Bentley's fellow Alabama native, Justyn Ross. Bentley also watched film and talked football with Brent Venables for about two to three hours, as well as met with Dabo Swinney before leaving Clemson.

Bentley was invited by Swinney to attend the annual All In Cookout next month, and he plans to do so. Prior to last weekend's visit, he attended Clemson's junior day in March and returned for another visit later that month.

Bentley is slated to visit LSU on June 23 and working to arrange a visit to Miami. He said he wants to make his decision either in July or during his upcoming season.

Asked where Clemson stands, Bentley reiterated that it remains his top school. Alabama is a distant second as of now.

The Tigers continue to recruit him harder than any other school. When he considers Clemson, its family feel stands out the most. "Some schools are just football, but Clemson is family," he said. "They've got the feel of it."

Latest on 5-star CB Booth

The headliner on campus this past weekend was Lawrenceville (Ga.) Archer five-star cornerback Andrew Booth, who visited on Saturday with his cousin. He was previously on campus in April for the spring game and has visited Clemson numerous other times in the past with other family members, including his parents and sister.

A source told TCI that this visit went well. Booth has been a top priority for the staff since Clemson offered last summer, and the Tigers have been in strong shape with him since. But Auburn is believed to have been making a big push and hosted him for a visit the weekend before last. So Clemson getting him on campus again is a big deal and good sign.

Booth is expected to make a decision this summer. The two Tigers will battle hard until he announced his decision. Clemson made a good impression last weekend. We will have to see if they can hold off Auburn until the announcement.

Clemson Making Push for Former Wake Commit

Before de-committing from Wake Forest on Sunday, Midlothian (Va.) Manchester quarterback Brendon Clark made an under-the-radar visit to Clemson from Friday night to Saturday afternoon. He was accompanied by his high school coach and his coach's wife. They wanted to keep the trip quiet in order to avoid attention.

Clark, who received an offer from Clemson this spring, had breakfast at the new football facility on Saturday morning before touring the facility, locker room, campus, dorms, etc.. He later met with Swinney and Brandon Streeter. Clark cited learning about Clemson's PAW Journey program as the highlight, and the genuineness of the coaches stood out as well. "They don't sugarcoat anything to you," he said. "They tell you like it is, and you can tell that they're very kind, two people that keep it real."

Clark had been committed to Wake Forest since last July and said his de-commitment decision had been in the works for about a couple of weeks. He feels he committed too early in the process and didn't give his recruitment a chance to play out.

Clark said the only other visit he has set in stone right now is a trip to Notre Dame. He named Virginia Tech, UNC, Ohio State and Tennessee as other schools he could check out.

The Tigers are looking to take another quarterback in this class, and Clark is a prime candidate to fill that spot. He intends to commit again on July 4 and says Clemson is a legitimate option.

"I'd say the thing that sticks out to me most about them is they're a powerhouse football team and stuff like that, but the thing I could pick up from everyone there is they kind of gave off the same message, that it's more of just developing their players as leaders and men than it is as football players," he said. "I think that's why they're so successful."

Changes Already Planned for Clemsonís Football Operation Facility

Best is the Standard and Clemson is always looking to make things even bigger. A source told TCI this past week that there are already a few changes planned to the new football facility. There are plans in the works to extend one of the corners near the indoor football facility to add a couple of things including a media room and a sports science area.

Target Date the Next Big Facility Splash

TCI was the first to report about future plans for an athletic dorm on Lake Hartwell. We have reported on the new facility for the past couple of years. It is now closer to becoming a reality.

A source confirmed to TCI that the plan is to have the new dorm ready for 2022.

There arenít too many teams in that nation that have their campus right on a lake. Just imagine how the new dorm will be received by future football recruits.

Best is the Standard is not a slogan at Clemson. They live by it every day and continue to improve.

Please do not copy of paste any of this information to any other media outlets. As you know TCI is Free so if you know someone that wants the information simply send them to The Rock.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:29 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: The Insider Report

I know a lot of students like the independence of an apartment or renting a house. I enjoyed living in the dorm at Clemson all four years (1976-1980). I would think living on campus would be more convenient for a student-athlete, but maybe thatís the mindset of a 59-year old.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:40 PM
TCI Staff

Default Re: The Insider Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger80 View Post
I know a lot of students like the independence of an apartment or renting a house. I enjoyed living in the dorm at Clemson all four years (1976-1980). I would think living on campus would be more convenient for a student-athlete, but maybe thatís the mindset of a 59-year old.
I think you are correct. Why not live on campus? Everything is a walk away.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:03 PM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger80 View Post
I think you'll have a lot more takers for the dorm when it's ON the lake! That's some genius stuff right there. If you can't pay them, give them a life of luxury while they're on campus. Meal plans, barber shops, sleep rooms, pools, and now... housing on the lake!
Old 06-13-2018, 07:27 AM
Publisher, Recruiting Editor

I was looking for the dorm on the lake as a separator before Clemson and Dabo even came up with the vision. I was thrilled a couple of years ago to hear that was part of the vision then. Now it is closer to reality.