Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2020, 10:50 PM
Travel Team

Default ACC and Clemson need to press NOW for 2021 & 2022 home games

DRad and Swofford are playing too nice with SCar and the SEC. NOW, while public opinion is in their favor, they need to demand home games to make up for the lost revenue. LSU and Florida did this very thing a few years back when one school wanted to play but the other refused for “safety” reasons.

SCar and the SEC will refuse, of course, but it will give them another black eye. After they refuse, Clemson should cancel the 2021 game in Cola and schedule a new home opponent.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:58 PM
Ring of Honor

Default Re: ACC and Clemson need to press NOW for 2021 & 2022 home games

Ok, I get why you think this is unfair. Please allow me to present the opposite side and hopefully convince you that we have simply lost that revenue for this season.

When ND agreed to the "five games a year" model, they allowed for the league scheduling games such that ND would be able to face EVERY team in the conference on a fair and equitable schedule.

Since they weren't a full conference member, this added a mandatory Home&Away series (the proper way to say that) to schedules that were for all intents and purposes already full. Teams like Clemson, FSU, GT, and Louis already had an annual OOC game that flipped venues every year. Asking those teams to play @Notre Dame on the same year they played at their instate rival meant they would only get 6 home games that year. ND agreed that would be an unfair request of those schools, so they agreed to the weird scheduling with regard to those 4 teams in filling those 5 games a year.

The schedule had been in place (roughly) for four years. The situation we are in now is something nobody predicted a year ago at this time.

We play UoSC at home on even numbered years, and have done so for quite some time. The effort to break contracts and change games already in the books for years to come is far more costly than blowing SC a kiss and telling them we'll see them next year. Their conference told them they couldn't play us, so we don't owe them anything. The loss of revenue for the surrounding area for that game weekend will be substantial.

So,in summary, too much is already in place that would cost millions to change to make them play an odd numbered year in Clemson- and the money simply isn't there. The belts are already being tightened to keep expenses as low as possible. You will get your Palmetto Brawl in Clemson in 2022, but the next time we play the birds- it will be there.
Old 08-01-2020, 01:06 AM
Travel Team

Hmmm, maybe I’m missing something in your argument. But I do get the spirit that you’re trying to be generous to a fellow state school when times are hard throughout the state. I appreciate that spirit and sentiment (really, I’m not being sarcastic).

But, again, unless I’m missing something Clemson and the Clemson-area are the only ones losing in the current scenario. ND isn’t giving anything up b/c of the SEC’s decision. SCar never made any concessions to help us accommodate ND’s inclusion when they were partially added to the ACC; we don’t owe them anything. SCar fans may be disappointed but their athletic department isn’t losing any money. The Columbia area doesn’t lose any gameday revenue. The state of SC likely loses out on some sales tax revenue, but that impacts everyone in the state equally.

Yes, COVID-19 stinks for everyone but why should Clemson and it’s (much more gameday-dependent) local economy be the one to suffer b/c SCar backed out of the game? Sure, their conference made them do it but that doesn’t change the material consequences for Clemson. Whatever their reason, they are the side unwilling to play so they should at least share the burden they are creating. The simplest way to do this is for SCar to play at Clemson in 2021 as a concession AND then resume the regularly scheduled rotation in 2022, again at Clemson. If they are concerned about lost revenue in 2021 then they can ask the SEC for help.

Last edited by atxtiger; 08-01-2020 at 01:25 AM.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:15 AM
NFL Tiger

I doubt it happens as all future schedules are built on having 7 home games per year. Flipping the home away would destroy every future schedule creating chaos.

Personally I would like to see 9-10 ACC games per year. Why play two throwaway games per which are meaningless? Why have a team in your conference who you rarely play? I would also get rid of the divisions.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:51 AM
Ring of Honor

I agree we should force them to play at Clemson for 21 and 22 but that isn’t going to happen (alas I don’t think our administration has the backbone to make it happen). Just as we were never “made whole” after all the Big Thursday games we won’t be here either. I only hope we at least make them pay for breaking the contract.

My take away from all of this is despite their reputation, the SEC is afraid to play the ACC.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:19 AM
Owner, Publisher

How about we just don't play again next year and then pick back up when the game is scheduled to be back in Clemson.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:46 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Thorne MacRae View Post
How about we just don't play again next year and then pick back up when the game is scheduled to be back in Clemson.
I like this idea. The streak is broken anyhow. The Clemson area needs the financial help by scheduling someone else for a home game next year. However, what P5 schools are they going to find to do a one year commitment? I would guess the best they could find is some G5 school willing to take the money. Probably not ideal for SOS.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:23 AM
Owner, Publisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpawgt View Post
I like this idea. The streak is broken anyhow. The Clemson area needs the financial help by scheduling someone else for a home game next year. However, what P5 schools are they going to find to do a one year commitment? I would guess the best they could find is some G5 school willing to take the money. Probably not ideal for SOS.
Remember Clemson opens the season with Georgia in Charlotte so SOS should not be a big issue next year. And it shouldn't be harder to find a team that would help the SOS more than South Carolina...
Old 08-01-2020, 10:16 AM
Travel Team

Quote:
Exactly what I suggest at the end of my initial post. But only after we publicly ask them to play 2021 in DV (and then resume the home-away rotation in 2022 as originally scheduled). The public ask is important because it will make their refusal public and it won’t just look like we’re taking petty revenge.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:44 AM
Owner, Publisher

This sets up similar to the negotiations Radakovich had with Tanner on the "neutral site" baseball game. Tanner won that battle and we now have a "neutral site" game in Columbia every two years. South Carolina threatened not to play the series at all during those negotiations from what we were told. Clemson agreed to the scenario so they could keep the game in Greenville every two years.

We will see how this negotiation plays out.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:56 AM
Ring of Honor

Atx, I think they should suffer, and I delight in the thought of the SC athletic program crumbling as those who take great pride in shouting "go cocks" at the top of their lungs watch in disbelief as Tanner continues to erode their programs from the inside.

My point isn't about feeling sorry for the little chickens, it is about respecting what a team of people have been working on (and continue to work on) for six years or more. Scheduling.

My wife, an actual Clemson grad, gets 1-3 capital campaign fund requests per year. I am not looking forward to the "oh crap, let's not fall off the mountain top" fundraising postcards that are sure to be arriving to the Clemson fans in the near future.

I am no collegiate contract lawyer, but getting anyone associated with the University of Spoiled Carolinians to do anything that would be construed as fair or honorable with regard to Clemson seems unwritable; and more mythical than an ESPN broadcast that doesn't mention that conference the chickens clean up after from the cellar.

What little we gain from the perception that they denied us fair compensation will be forgotten in 15 mins once the games start. DRad should have the council looking over the contract for breach verbage, because that is how the chickens could be forced to pay Clemson.

But there isn't any way the Spoiled C(kids) are gonna play twice in DV. Big Thursday be damned.
Old 08-01-2020, 01:05 PM
Travel Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelongstroke View Post
I am no collegiate contract lawyer, but getting anyone associated with the University of Spoiled Carolinians to do anything that would be construed as fair or honorable with regard to Clemson seems unwritable; and more mythical than an ESPN broadcast that doesn't mention that conference the chickens clean up after from the cellar.
Ha ha!

I hear you, Mike. I still think some savvy PR work here could help us recoup some of our losses. But all good points you make.
Old 08-01-2020, 01:43 PM
Scholarship Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsson View Post
I doubt it happens as all future schedules are built on having 7 home games per year. Flipping the home away would destroy every future schedule creating chaos.

Personally I would like to see 9-10 ACC games per year. Why play two throwaway games per which are meaningless? Why have a team in your conference who you rarely play? I would also get rid of the divisions.
We, and most other big teams, play those throwaway games so we can have the 7 home games each year that you mentioned. Even bad opponents at home bring in lots of money. There would be a lot of pushback by the schools if we went to a 10-game ACC schedule because it would mean playing one more road game and therefor losing a lot of revenue. 9 ACC games would mean alternating between 6 and 7 home games, which may be easier to swallow but would still be met with resistance.

That's without mentioning the increased schedule difficulty. If the other conferences are all scheduling cupcakes, why shouldn't we? We'd be putting ourselves at a disadvantage.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:01 PM
Tiger Starter

Real simple solution. Next year play every game, but announce for safety reasons that Clemson will not be playing South Carolina in 2021.

Go Tigers
Old 08-01-2020, 02:52 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: ACC and Clemson need to press NOW for 2021 & 2022 home games

Quote:
Best option, but not likely to on happen.

South Carolina did not back out of the game. Their conference scheduled only 10 conference games. Only four of their 14 members have rivalry games with out of conference opponents. They were outvoted.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:58 PM
Travel Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger80 View Post
Best option, but not likely to on happen.

South Carolina did not back out of the game. Their conference scheduled only 10 conference games. Only four of their 14 members have rivalry games with out of conference opponents. They were outvoted.
Whatever their reason, they are the party refusing to play. The material consequences still exist, regardless of their excuse. They owe us. If they don’t like it or can’t afford it, they should take it up with the SEC. Not our problem why they are backing out.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:18 PM
Scholarship Player

I disagree. They don't owe us anything.
Old 08-02-2020, 11:57 AM
TCI Staff

Quote:
https://theclemsoninsider.com/2020/0...cel-2021-game/