Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2020, 01:13 PM
TCI Staff

Default Here is what we are hearing on Clemson's possible 11th opponent in 2020

As you all know by now, Clemson's annual game with South Carolina has been canceled due to the SEC's decision on Thursday. So, who will Clemson replace the Gamecocks with in 2020?

We reached out to some of our sources today and asked what are the possibilities for Clemson landing a Big 12 opponent as the non-conference foe at Death Valley.

Though Iowa State at Iowa has been canceled, TCU's game at Cal and Texas' game at LSU have also been canceled, we are told Clemson will not play any of those teams.

We were told Clemson discussed maybe reaching out to those teams, but without a possibility of a return game in the near future, it just does not fit. Remember, Clemson has already filled up its schedule with non-conference Power 5 opponents through the 2037 football season.

Also, Clemson still has contracted games with Akron and The Citadel on the table for 2020. It sounds as if Clemson could choose between one of them.

Reportedly, Akron is scheduled to make $1.1 million by coming to Death Valley, while The Citadel is expecting to be paid $450,000 by Clemson.

Last edited by Will Vandervort; 08-03-2020 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:20 PM
Clemson Insider - 2010 March Madness Champ

Default Re: Here is what we are hearing on Clemson's possible 11th opponent in 2020

Go for the instate school.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:28 PM
Travel Team

Default Re: Here is what we are hearing on Clemson's possible 11th opponent in 2020

If no fans are allowed and we canít play the Gamecocks, I donít see the point of playing a cupcake. Will it add to television revenue? Why put players in harms way for a game that doesnít matter?
Old 07-31-2020, 01:32 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: Here is what we are hearing on Clemson's possible 11th opponent in 2020

I’ll go another direction with my comment. If we can’t play a power five team then I would prefer we not play anyone in an 11th game this season. They have already said the CFP decision making criteria would likely be different this year due to conference only schedules. We don’t need to give the CFP (ESPN) committee ammunition by playing a non-competitive 11th game.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:46 PM
Owner, Publisher

I kind of agree with you on that. It does give the backups some good PT but...
Old 07-31-2020, 01:54 PM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxtiger View Post
If no fans are allowed and we canít play the Gamecocks, I donít see the point of playing a cupcake. Will it add to television revenue? Why put players in harms way for a game that doesnít matter?
Yes, it will add to the television revenue. The more games that are played the more revenue the conference gets.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:02 PM
NFL Tiger

Hereís some G5 ideas: UCF or USF? Those could be interesting games in DV. I wonder what Jeff Scott would think about that opportunity.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:07 PM
NFL Tiger

Is it open to out of state now that the chicken SEC punked out?

If still instate, I say still play The Citadel as we already had it on the schedule and it would certainly help them out. It might not be flashy or help our SOS but with everything else being screwed up, it would just be good to stay local.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:34 PM
Scholarship Player

I like the idea of UCF or USF. I also see value in playing a Big 12 school. I would guess a home and home would require us buying out a non-power five opponent on a future schedule. I think Akron would just weaken our strength of schedule and provide the talking heads reason to doubt our worthiness for the playoff.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:39 PM
Owner, Publisher

Read Will's report. They aren't looking at another P5 from out of state. We already asked that question. I like some of you wish they would have.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:38 PM
Scholarship Player

I wonder if we could even afford a $1.1 million paycheck. Expenses are up and revenue is down. Would that game even bring in that much?

Go with the Citadel and let the backups get some work.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:44 PM
Scholarship Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Thorne MacRae View Post
Read Will's report. They aren't looking at another P5 from out of state. We already asked that question. I like some of you wish they would have.
Robert,

Lots of folks would be thrilled if you could write a story about how the streak for clemson moves to 7 years...and they didnít have to even break a sweat.

The Tigers will look to extend the streak to 8 years in 2021, assuming a mutually agreeable location is agreed upon.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:41 AM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
I wonder if we could even afford a $1.1 million paycheck. Expenses are up and revenue is down. Would that game even bring in that much?

Go with the Citadel and let the backups get some work.
Money will play a major role in this decision, I believe.
Old 08-01-2020, 01:50 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Vandervort View Post
Money will play a major role in this decision, I believe.
So, based on the contracts already in place... this says Akron comes here and we pay El Cid the "thanks for the effort" money.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:04 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemmer View Post
Robert,

Lots of folks would be thrilled if you could write a story about how the streak for clemson moves to 7 years...and they didnít have to even break a sweat.

The Tigers will look to extend the streak to 8 years in 2021, assuming a mutually agreeable location is agreed upon.
"SEC Chickened Out -- Why the Chicken's forfeited the Palmetto Bowl"

There's your headline Robert/Will/Gavin.
--Daughters, they can climb trees, fish, and shoot guns just as good as any boy, sometimes better. Plus they can have the boy clean the fish, buy the bullets when they go out, and then the Father gets to eat. Daughters are great. --
Old 08-01-2020, 05:34 PM
Walk On

Remember they have to meet testing protocol. $400k isnít going to cut it and we might not get out of those agreements anyway. Everyone is hurting.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:43 PM
Scholarship Player

The ACC recently (this week) announced that ACC schools must play ACC schools OR TEAMS FROM THEIR OWN STATE. I'd say it's the Citadel or bust.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:08 PM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxOn WaxOff View Post
The ACC recently (this week) announced that ACC schools must play ACC schools OR TEAMS FROM THEIR OWN STATE. I'd say it's the Citadel or bust.
The non-conference game must be played in the home state of the ACC school. It can be any school willing to play at Clemson.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:56 AM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatweeatin View Post
Remember they have to meet testing protocol. $400k isnít going to cut it and we might not get out of those agreements anyway. Everyone is hurting.
Clemson has to see if the MAC is even going to play this season and the FCS could be cut by the NCAA this coming week. Still a long way to go in this process.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:06 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger80 View Post
Iíll go another direction with my comment. If we canít play a power five team then I would prefer we not play anyone in an 11th game this season. They have already said the CFP decision making criteria would likely be different this year due to conference only schedules. We donít need to give the CFP (ESPN) committee ammunition by playing a non-competitive 11th game.
Well the 11th game was with a non competitive team anyway so no big loss.