Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2020, 11:17 PM
Travel Team

Default Three reasons why the SEC canceled the rivalry games

1) Because it hurts the ACC more financially
Since three of the four rivalry games were ACC home games, the ACC stood to gain the most in terms of game attendance revenue and television rights. The SEC already makes so much more revenue that UGAís small loss of a home game makes no difference.

2) Because the SEC teams had the most to lose competitively
The SEC knows that itís champion will make the playoff, so why risk non-con losses? Kentucky and South CarolinaĎs coaches know they face highly probable season ending losses. Why take those Lís when you can skip out and live vicariously through Bama or UGA or whoever. And Georgia and Florida have nothing to gain from expected blowouts wins. Instead, hungry new coaches at GT and FSU have nothing to lose and will play loose and dangerous. Why take that chance and give a rival an opportunity to build recruiting momentum?

3) Because the SEC teams simply donít care as much about the rivalries
Kentucky is just hoping that basketball season wonít get canceled. Georgia should be forced to retire their silly ďclean, old-fashioned hateď since they didnít bother to vote to protect the GT game. And apparently Florida canít risk the 2-hour bus ride to Tally. At least SCarís president voted to play the game, even if he didnít *really* want to.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:27 AM
Owner, Publisher

Default Re: Three reasons why the SEC canceled the rivalry games

How about one reason?

Chicken
Old 08-01-2020, 08:33 AM
Travel Team

Watch the SEC want to maintain the home and away rotation next year, as if the games were played this year. Three of those games were away games for them this year, correct?
Old 08-01-2020, 09:13 AM
Owner, Publisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGEtiger View Post
Watch the SEC want to maintain the home and away rotation next year, as if the games were played this year. Three of those games were away games for them this year, correct?
We got the solution for that or the idea. Will is going to write up for the site.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:56 AM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxtiger View Post
1) Because it hurts the ACC more financially
Since three of the four rivalry games were ACC home games, the ACC stood to gain the most in terms of game attendance revenue and television rights. The SEC already makes so much more revenue that UGAís small loss of a home game makes no difference.

2) Because the SEC teams had the most to lose competitively
The SEC knows that itís champion will make the playoff, so why risk non-con losses? Kentucky and South CarolinaĎs coaches know they face highly probable season ending losses. Why take those Lís when you can skip out and live vicariously through Bama or UGA or whoever. And Georgia and Florida have nothing to gain from expected blowouts wins. Instead, hungry new coaches at GT and FSU have nothing to lose and will play loose and dangerous. Why take that chance and give a rival an opportunity to build recruiting momentum?

3) Because the SEC teams simply donít care as much about the rivalries
Kentucky is just hoping that basketball season wonít get canceled. Georgia should be forced to retire their silly ďclean, old-fashioned hateď since they didnít bother to vote to protect the GT game. And apparently Florida canít risk the 2-hour bus ride to Tally. At least SCarís president voted to play the game, even if he didnít *really* want to.
I think you hit the nail on the head.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:44 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: Three reasons why the SEC canceled the rivalry games

I’m disappointed in the situation but are we so arrogant to think a majority their 14 University Presidents believes it is in their best interests to play an extra game? It is not their job to concern themselves with the ACC. Frankly, I think they have it right. Delay the start of the season until September 26 and only play conference games.

We can only hope that COVID-19 cases will decline. However, if they increase it won’t matter whether we schedule an 11th game because we won’t make it that far into the season.

Last edited by Tiger80; 08-01-2020 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 04:34 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger80 View Post
Iím disappointed in the situation but are we so arrogant to think a majority their 14 University Presidents believes it is in their best interests to play an extra game? It is not their job to concern themselves with the ACC. Frankly, I think they have it right. Delay the start of the season until September 26 and only play conference games.

We can only hope that COVID-19 cases will decline. However, if they increase it wonít matter whether we schedule an 11th game because we wonít make it that far into the season.
We found a way to play the game after 9-11. We found a way to play the game after JFK's assassination. We found a way to play the game during the entirety of WW2 (while we were sending more graduates to the war than any school not named Texas A&M). We found a way to play the game during the great depression, the flu pandemic, the first World War.

Maybe this game doesn't mean that much to you, your prerogative. The fact we've seen it every year since 1909 means a bit more to me. This isn't arrogance, this is what I've grown up with- same goes for two generations of my family before me. My Grandfather wasn't alive for the first game played in the continuous streak. My Great Grand was a young pup for the first game ever played with the yardhens.

Again, you can downplay the game- that's fair. But please stop telling us it should not be important. 6 generations of Clemson fans do not deserve that.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:28 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: Three reasons why the SEC canceled the rivalry games

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelongstroke View Post
We found a way to play the game after 9-11. We found a way to play the game after JFK's assassination. We found a way to play the game during the entirety of WW2 (while we were sending more graduates to the war than any school not named Texas A&M). We found a way to play the game during the great depression, the flu pandemic, the first World War.

Maybe this game doesn't mean that much to you, your prerogative. The fact we've seen it every year since 1909 means a bit more to me. This isn't arrogance, this is what I've grown up with- same goes for two generations of my family before me. My Grandfather wasn't alive for the first game played in the continuous streak. My Great Grand was a young pup for the first game ever played with the yardhens.

Again, you can downplay the game- that's fair. But please stop telling us it should not be important. 6 generations of Clemson fans do not deserve that.

Really? That is a ridiculous rationale. Attending the game after the Kennedy assassination or 9/11 wasn’t going to risk someone getting an infectious disease. WW2 was a similar situation. The game itself can lead to infection.

The game matters to me. My great uncle is honored at the scroll of honor near the stadium. My Dad, two Uncles, brother, sister, and cousins graduated from Clemson. I just don’t think I have any business telling the SEC what to do. I don’t like their decision, but I respect that they had different priorities. They delayed the season until 9-26. Is it possible they just didn’t have a way to play 11 games with that start date?

Last edited by Tiger80; 08-01-2020 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:18 PM
Ring of Honor

Is it possible they just didnít have a way to play 11 games with that start date?

It's more plausible that they saw an opportunity to stick it to the ACC, and took it. Money made that decision, not some concern about player safety. If player safety were the #1 priority, we wouldn't even be talking about this season at all. There wouldn't be any games to play.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:51 AM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger80 View Post
Really? That is a ridiculous rationale. Attending the game after the Kennedy assassination or 9/11 wasnít going to risk someone getting an infectious disease. WW2 was a similar situation. The game itself can lead to infection.

The game matters to me. My great uncle is honored at the scroll of honor near the stadium. My Dad, two Uncles, brother, sister, and cousins graduated from Clemson. I just donít think I have any business telling the SEC what to do. I donít like their decision, but I respect that they had different priorities. They delayed the season until 9-26. Is it possible they just didnít have a way to play 11 games with that start date?
It is plausible or the ACC would not have added a +1 with the intent of getting those games in if they could. The SEC did not have to start their season there. Teams in the Big 12 are still shooting for Aug. 29. There is no guarantee they will play any game, but the SEC could have at least tried to get it in. That is the point here. Show you care. The game could have been played any time between Sept. 7 through Sept. 26. The SEC should have given those four teams at least an option of a plus one.
Old 08-02-2020, 11:59 AM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Thorne MacRae View Post
We got the solution for that or the idea. Will is going to write up for the site.
https://theclemsoninsider.com/2020/0...cel-2021-game/
Old 08-02-2020, 12:26 PM
NFL Tiger

The SEC has always put football first. "It just means more" . They didn't just suddenly think of the safest thing. The obvious safest thing would be to not play at all. To play an instate school is not more unsafe than playing an out of state conference game. All P5 conferences will have protocols for safety put in place. If each school chooses not to play, it should be up to them, not the conference. So is it safer for Miami to play at or host against BC vs CU/SC? No way you can make that argument.

Instead of canceling next year's games, why not have the teams split the revenue minus expenses next year? See what the SEC says about that! Make them say no to being fair.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:21 AM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMITH2554 View Post
The SEC has always put football first. "It just means more" . They didn't just suddenly think of the safest thing. The obvious safest thing would be to not play at all. To play an instate school is not more unsafe than playing an out of state conference game. All P5 conferences will have protocols for safety put in place. If each school chooses not to play, it should be up to them, not the conference. So is it safer for Miami to play at or host against BC vs CU/SC? No way you can make that argument.

Instead of canceling next year's games, why not have the teams split the revenue minus expenses next year? See what the SEC says about that! Make them say no to being fair.
The SEC still comes out on top because the ACC lost three extra games this year to their one. The best thing is too just cancel the games and allow the ACC teams to schedule four other games and make up for the money it lost this year in TV rights.