Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2020, 04:04 PM
Owner, Publisher

Default College players plan to boycott college football unless demands met

Man I hate to see this. I sure hope it is not right

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...justice-safety
Old 08-01-2020, 04:23 PM
NFL Tiger

Default Re: College players plan to boycott college football unless demands met

They have every right to boycott but the schools also have every right to pull their ships if they choose not to participate in their sport.
Old 08-01-2020, 04:30 PM
Owner, Publisher

There will be a long line of players glad to play for what the players currently get.
Old 08-01-2020, 04:51 PM
Ring of Honor

You see, ACC?

THIS is how you utilize a situation to achieve the goal you want.

Some players on the West coast figured out how to leverage the situation to their benefit, yet you couldn't get Notre Dame to sign up for football when they were staring at a six game schedule at best.

I'm not sure all of the demands of the players will be met (kinda doubt it, actually) but at least they sacked up and threw the gauntlet.

... and the ACC is still the toilet paper ND uses to wipe
Old 08-01-2020, 05:18 PM
Owner, Publisher

Apples and oranges Stroke. What do you want Swofford to do differently? Turn down more money for the ACC schools this year?
Old 08-01-2020, 05:44 PM
Ring of Honor

They are NEVER going to join of their own volition. The league keeps giving them things, and they keep accepting.

It's really a very similar scenario, closer to Navals versus Mandarins. ND was on the outside looking in on this season.

What i want done differently could only be undone seven or eight years ago when ND was given a home to pay for their non-revenue sports while they kept football to themselves.

The situation was there to finally have some leverage in negotiating with the Domers. It wasn't taken. ND gets to use the conference like a roadside Motel6, and play for a championship game they are renting for a season.

Bought and paid for, and everybody is lining up to take their slot.

Yes, financially it makes sense to accept "revenue" this year that the league would not have gotten otherwise. The problem is how we got here, and how very little the league means to ND- other than a temporary shelter to ride out the football storm.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:52 PM
Scholarship Player

I'm gonna give them a bit of a break because they're young, but bundling your selfish demands with your supposedly altruistic demands is both foolish and classless.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:25 PM
Travel Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Thorne MacRae View Post
Man I hate to see this. I sure hope it is not right

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...justice-safety
You can hate it all you want. But it isn’t wrong. They have every right.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:34 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
I'm gonna give them a bit of a break because they're young, but bundling your selfish demands with your supposedly altruistic demands is both foolish and classless.
Is this in response to me?
If standing up and expecting the league Clemson plays in to display a sense of self-worth with regard to Notre Dame is classless- we have nothing further to discuss.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:15 PM
Owner, Publisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelongstroke View Post
They are NEVER going to join of their own volition. The league keeps giving them things, and they keep accepting.

It's really a very similar scenario, closer to Navals versus Mandarins. ND was on the outside looking in on this season.

What i want done differently could only be undone seven or eight years ago when ND was given a home to pay for their non-revenue sports while they kept football to themselves.

The situation was there to finally have some leverage in negotiating with the Domers. It wasn't taken. ND gets to use the conference like a roadside Motel6, and play for a championship game they are renting for a season.

Bought and paid for, and everybody is lining up to take their slot.

Yes, financially it makes sense to accept "revenue" this year that the league would not have gotten otherwise. The problem is how we got here, and how very little the league means to ND- other than a temporary shelter to ride out the football storm.
A lot of people believe that but are missing one big factor. You don't think the BIG, Big 12 or SEC would have loved to have Notre Dame play a conference schedule with them this year. They 100 percent would have. The Big 12 is considering allowing BYU in this year. You don't think they would have allowed Notre Dame or the BIG wouldn't have. They certainly would have jumped at the opportunity.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:25 PM
Owner, Publisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by goindownsouth View Post
You can hate it all you want. But it isn’t wrong. They have every right.
They can try, but they might not like the way things end up. Plenty of high school football players would love to play for what they get now. Some folks telling these players now is the time for them to make a stand. Some of the players are listening it sounds like. I just hope they know things may not turn out the way they think.

If they think they are going to get long term health care for playing college athletics I think they will be very disappointed.

And keep in mind Clemson fans, most of them, pull for the Tigers because that is where they went to school. They are going to pull for whoever is wearing that jersey.

Also might want to consider where the best college football in the nation is played. Those areas are in the most part not union friendly.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:30 PM
Ring of Honor

I get it.

Notre Dame is The Crown Jewel of the independents.

One season of half of Notre Dame's football revenue... does that equal what the league has paid ND for five years of "almost membership"?

What does ND stand to gain in the future by joining the league for football if they already get whatever they want without signing up?

But again, that isn't what this thread was supposed to be about- and it is my fault it got sidetracked. Apologies to everyone.