Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2020, 07:59 PM
TCI Staff

Default SC Legislator wants to try and save Clemson-South Carolina game

https://theclemsoninsider.com/2020/0...carolina-game/
Old 07-30-2020, 09:05 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: SC Legislator wants to try and save Clemson-South Carolina game

Sorry. This game is just not that important.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:30 PM
Ring of Honor

Default Re: SC Legislator wants to try and save Clemson-South Carolina game

I don’t know, I’d say scar playing Clemson is more important that scar playing Vanderbilt. And Clemson playing scar is more important than Clemson playing BC (or the Citadel/Coastal Carolina).
Old 07-30-2020, 10:07 PM
Scholarship Player

It's important to me but this is not the government's business.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:55 PM
NFL Tiger

Well I guess I am against the grain on this one one with the others. I hope to God the lawmakers make it mandatory that they play each other every year the schools have football teams. Sorry, it is that important to me.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:12 PM
Travel Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz089 View Post
Well I guess I am against the grain on this one one with the others. I hope to God the lawmakers make it mandatory that they play each other every year the schools have football teams. Sorry, it is that important to me.
+1
Old 07-31-2020, 02:06 AM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
It's important to me but this is not the government's business.
+1

If this issue is at the top of his “To Do” list then he is just an example of politicians at their worst.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:07 AM
NFL Tiger

Having the SC legislature involved in anything related to Clemson football is not a good thing.

They need to try to figure out how to function as a true legislature and focus on real issues.

We need to schedule The Citadel and then print up Clemson vs Citadel for the Real State Championship shirts...
Old 07-31-2020, 08:44 AM
NFL Tiger

Sounds like a legislator trying to boost their re-election bid. Typical waste of time that will go nowhere (and in my view shouldn’t).
Old 07-31-2020, 08:49 AM
Way2tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz089 View Post
well i guess i am against the grain on this one one with the others. I hope to god the lawmakers make it mandatory that they play each other every year the schools have football teams. Sorry, it is that important to me.
+100. Who is the SEC to tell us if we can play this game or not? It's not their tradition and its none of their business. The teams are as close as any teams within the SEC that are going to play. Reasons for not allowing it don't hold water with me.

Last edited by talltiger83; 07-31-2020 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:32 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by talltiger83 View Post
+100. Who is the SEC to tell us if we can play this game or not? It's not their tradition and its none of their business. The teams are as close as any teams within the SEC that are going to play. Reasons for not allowing it don't hold water with me.
The SEC is a private legal entity with members that abide by their policies. We might not like it but we have to accept it.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:47 PM
Way2tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger80 View Post
The SEC is a private legal entity with members that abide by their policies. We might not like it but we have to accept it.
Of course we do. But I think it is a bad decision that's inconsistent with their policy. As a Florida players posted, the distance in-state for them to play FSU is much shorter than several of the out-of-state games SEC teams will play against each other. Same for us. Right, its their decision but it doesn't make it a good one.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:32 PM
Ring of Honor

This is the test case for "It just means more"

Toward the end of their season, they will be able to point at three of the top four CFP rankings and say "you see, nobody plays in a tougher conference than we do"

Playing those annual matchups would have hurt the $EC, especially if a well below normal FSU plays UF to the wire, or an upstart GT scares UGA. Louisville would have rolled UK. They also avoid the mudhole stomping Clemson was going to hand to Uosc. Their "saving face" percentage was only 50% at best.

This uses the guise of "protecting the players" to blow more sunshine up the rears of the $EC homers. Isn't it convenient the opportunity to disparage the ACC comes in such a neat package?
Old 07-31-2020, 06:52 PM
TCI Staff

Quote:
The ACC makes money off three of these games this year, it is simple why the SEC canceled them. They don't care. If it was the other way around and their schools were hosting and they had the rights, I bet the games would still be on.

You are right, their reasons do not hold water.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:08 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Of course we do. But I think it is a bad decision that's inconsistent with their policy. As a Florida players posted, the distance in-state for them to play FSU is much shorter than several of the out-of-state games SEC teams will play against each other. Same for us. Right, its their decision but it doesn't make it a good one.
I think the reasoning is also based on minimizing the total number of games played. In addition, they are starting later based on their expectations of the impact of COVID-19. There is also a control issue. Each conference controls their own members. Lastly, only 4 of 14 SEC teams are involved in rivalry games versus non conference opponents.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:38 AM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger80 View Post
I think the reasoning is also based on minimizing the total number of games played. In addition, they are starting later based on their expectations of the impact of COVID-19. There is also a control issue. Each conference controls their own members. Lastly, only 4 of 14 SEC teams are involved in rivalry games versus non conference opponents.
I think it is based on the bottom line. If three of those games were played at SEC venues instead of at ACC venues, and they would be getting the television revenue, I bet you 10 to 1 those games would be played.