Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2020, 06:42 PM
TCI Staff

Default SEC should be ashamed, it could have preserved Clemson-South Carolina game

https://theclemsoninsider.com/2020/0...carolina-game/
Old 07-31-2020, 07:29 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: SEC should be ashamed, it could have preserved Clemson-South Carolina game

I think 10 games is more than enough. I would like to play South Carolina, but in the big scheme of things I just want us to make the playoff and if playing 10 games will do it, then that is fine with me.

One major difference between the two conferences is the start date. The SEC is delaying the start until September 26th. ACC games will start between Sept 7-12, 2020.

I’m curious how upset Georgia fans are about not playing Georgia Tech.

Last edited by Tiger80; 07-31-2020 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:22 PM
Travel Team

Default Re: SEC should be ashamed, it could have preserved Clemson-South Carolina game

Iíll bet Caslenís vote was face-saving sham. He knew, and probably communicated off-the-record to the other presidents, that he would get slammed unless he voted to save the rivalry game. Whether or not he really wanted to save the game, we will probably never know.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:35 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: SEC should be ashamed, it could have preserved Clemson-South Carolina game

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxtiger View Post
Iíll bet Caslenís vote was face-saving sham. He knew, and probably communicated off-the-record to the other presidents, that he would get slammed unless he voted to save the rivalry game. Whether or not he really wanted to save the game, we will probably never know.
I Doubt the vote was close.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:49 AM
NFL Tiger

Default Re: SEC should be ashamed, it could have preserved Clemson-South Carolina game

I thought I read Caslen was the only vote against the plan to cancel. He knew he was safe to vote the way he did.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:34 AM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpawgt View Post
I thought I read Caslen was the only vote against the plan to cancel. He knew he was safe to vote the way he did.
You are right. I wrote that in my column. Carolina truly wanted to play. They did fight for the game.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:36 AM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger80 View Post
I think 10 games is more than enough. I would like to play South Carolina, but in the big scheme of things I just want us to make the playoff and if playing 10 games will do it, then that is fine with me.

One major difference between the two conferences is the start date. The SEC is delaying the start until September 26th. ACC games will start between Sept 7-12, 2020.

I’m curious how upset Georgia fans are about not playing Georgia Tech.
Georgia fans don't care. I lived in Georgia for three years and 75 percent of that state are Bulldog fans. I can't speak for all of them, but my guess would be they don't care because Florida is their No. 1 rival, followed by Auburn. Georgia Tech is a distant No. 3.

Also, the start dates are why they could have played the games. There are two weeks built in by the ACC where these games could have been played. This is all in my column. There is no reason Clemson and South Carolina can't attempt to play. The SEC should have at least given the schools the option to play a non-conference game like the Big 12 did. If it is unsafe to play, then you don't play, but the option to play at the beginning of the season was there.

Last edited by Will Vandervort; 08-01-2020 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:09 AM
Way2tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Vandervort View Post
Georgia fans don't care. I lived in Georgia for three years and 75 percent of that state are Bulldog fans. I can't speak for all of them, but my guess would be they don't care because Florida is their No. 1 rival, followed by Auburn. Georgia Tech is a distant No. 3.

Also, the start dates are why they could have played the games. There are two weeks built in by the ACC where these games could have been played. This is all in my column. There is no reason Clemson and South Carolina can't attempt to play. The SEC should have at least given the schools the option to play a non-conference game like the Big 12 did. If it is unsafe to play, then you don't play, but the option to play at the beginning of the season was there.
Totally agree Will. Totally agree.
Old 08-01-2020, 03:02 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Vandervort View Post

They chose the September 26 start date for a reason. I believe they are hopeful COVID-19 cases will decline. If cases increase between now and October it would not have mattered that we scheduled a game with them.

I own a home in Georgia about 75 miles west of Clemson. I was being somewhat sarcastic. I know Georgia fans donít give a s&@t about playing Georgia Tech. Their rivals are Florida, Auburn, and Tennessee depending somewhat on which part of the state you live in.
Old 08-02-2020, 11:54 AM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger80 View Post
They chose the September 26 start date for a reason. I believe they are hopeful COVID-19 cases will decline. If cases increase between now and October it would not have mattered that we scheduled a game with them.

I own a home in Georgia about 75 miles west of Clemson. I was being somewhat sarcastic. I know Georgia fans donít give a s&@t about playing Georgia Tech. Their rivals are Florida, Auburn, and Tennessee depending somewhat on which part of the state you live in.
Gotcha on the Georgia Tech part. As for the other, my whole argument is show on effort to want to play. That is all they had to do.