Clemson Insider Logo



Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-16-2021, 07:10 PM
Robert Thorne MacRae's Avatar
Robert Thorne MacRae Robert Thorne MacRae is online now
Founder/Publisher
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 115,999
Default Jags coach compares Lawrence to ACC legend

https://theclemsoninsider.com/2021/0...to-acc-legend/
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-16-2021, 08:42 PM
Tiggershark Tiggershark is online now
NFL Tiger
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 3,432
Default Re: Jags coach compares Lawrence to ACC legend

I take that as an insult. Rivers couldn’t hold Trevor’s jock strap. Comparing him to Luck I can understand. But Rivers had NFL WR’s and still never finished above 4th in the ACC. He played 99% of the time in his games including mop up duty. His stats are more padded than a wonder bra. Imagine if Trevor played in the second half of all those blowouts.

Last edited by Tiggershark; 06-16-2021 at 08:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-16-2021, 11:15 PM
catdaddy2402's Avatar
catdaddy2402 catdaddy2402 is offline
NFL Tiger
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 3,290
Default Re: Jags coach compares Lawrence to ACC legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggershark View Post
I take that as an insult. Rivers couldn’t hold Trevor’s jock strap. Comparing him to Luck I can understand. But Rivers had NFL WR’s and still never finished above 4th in the ACC. He played 99% of the time in his games including mop up duty. His stats are more padded than a wonder bra. Imagine if Trevor played in the second half of all those blowouts.

Phillip Rivers is considered by everyone who played with or against him to be the consummate pro. Respected by teammates and opponents alike. This is high praise at the NFL level.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-17-2021, 09:06 AM
Nebula Nebula is online now
Two Deep
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 845
Default Re: Jags coach compares Lawrence to ACC legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy2402 View Post
Phillip Rivers is considered by everyone who played with or against him to be the consummate pro. Respected by teammates and opponents alike. This is high praise at the NFL level.
Not only that he carried the Chargers forever. They would have been a complete dumpster fire without him.

I hated Rivers in college. Hated him but he was a pretty damn great NFL QB. His trash talking was just hilarious in the NFL as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azKyGR5QNPw
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-17-2021, 06:11 PM
Tiger80 Tiger80 is online now
Ring of Honor
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 17,526
Post Re: Jags coach compares Lawrence to ACC legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggershark View Post
I take that as an insult. Rivers couldn’t hold Trevor’s jock strap. Comparing him to Luck I can understand. But Rivers had NFL WR’s and still never finished above 4th in the ACC. He played 99% of the time in his games including mop up duty. His stats are more padded than a wonder bra. Imagine if Trevor played in the second half of all those blowouts.
Did you read the article? The context of the article was playing professional football rather than college football. Philip Rivers was a very good NFL quarterback who was stuck with a crappy team in San Diego.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-17-2021, 07:11 PM
Tiggershark Tiggershark is online now
NFL Tiger
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 3,432
Default Re: Jags coach compares Lawrence to ACC legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger80 View Post
Did you read the article? The context of the article was playing professional football rather than college football. Philip Rivers was a very good NFL quarterback who was stuck with a crappy team in San Diego.
Yes I read it. I just think Rivers is only a mediocre to average NFL qb whose greatest accomplishment is his longevity of 17 years, mostly for a program that has had little to average success. Rivers has been to the playoffs 7/15 years he has been a starter and has a 5-7 record. He didn’t compare
Lawrence to Wilson, Rodgers, or even Eli Manning. He set the bar low in my opinion.

But if you honestly feel that after Lawrence’s career is over and he had 0 Super Bowl wins or appearances, was 5-7 in post season play but played 17 years in the league was a great career than we have different expectations for Lawrence.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-17-2021, 10:28 PM
Ken Ken is online now
NFL Tiger
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,123
Default Re: Jags coach compares Lawrence to ACC legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggershark View Post
Yes I read it. I just think Rivers is only a mediocre to average NFL qb whose greatest accomplishment is his longevity of 17 years, mostly for a program that has had little to average success. Rivers has been to the playoffs 7/15 years he has been a starter and has a 5-7 record. He didn’t compare
Lawrence to Wilson, Rodgers, or even Eli Manning. He set the bar low in my opinion.

But if you honestly feel that after Lawrence’s career is over and he had 0 Super Bowl wins or appearances, was 5-7 in post season play but played 17 years in the league was a great career than we have different expectations for Lawrence.
Much of a QBs success depends on the team around him. IMO last year DW4 was a top 5 QB but did not make the playoffs. If he stays in Houston he is not likely to sniff a SB. Rivers had a great career with an average team. Maybe the jags can build around him but their history does not inspire confidence
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-18-2021, 08:06 AM
Tiggershark Tiggershark is online now
NFL Tiger
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 3,432
Default Re: Jags coach compares Lawrence to ACC legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Much of a QBs success depends on the team around him. IMO last year DW4 was a top 5 QB but did not make the playoffs. If he stays in Houston he is not likely to sniff a SB. Rivers had a great career with an average team. Maybe the jags can build around him but their history does not inspire confidence
If Watson had had San Diego's OL, Ladainian Tomilson, and Antonio Gates he would have a Super Bowl Ring. Rivers might be dead if he was in Houston behind their OL.

I get it. There are only a few people in the world that can be an NFL QB. But what I am saying is that if you are going to compare Lawerence; who has been referred to as a "once in a generation type player", it isn't exactly a compliment to be compared to one whose 17 year career doesn't have much success other than being in the league for 17 years.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Shop for 2019 Clemson Tigers Fiesta Bowl Champs Fan Gear at Fanatics Clemson Tigers gear at Fanatics.com



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 AM.

Partner with USA TODAY Sports Media Group

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.