Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2021, 07:10 PM
Founder/Publisher

Default Jags coach compares Lawrence to ACC legend

https://theclemsoninsider.com/2021/0...to-acc-legend/
Old 06-16-2021, 08:42 PM
NFL Tiger

Default Re: Jags coach compares Lawrence to ACC legend

I take that as an insult. Rivers couldn’t hold Trevor’s jock strap. Comparing him to Luck I can understand. But Rivers had NFL WR’s and still never finished above 4th in the ACC. He played 99% of the time in his games including mop up duty. His stats are more padded than a wonder bra. Imagine if Trevor played in the second half of all those blowouts.

Last edited by Tiggershark; 06-16-2021 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-16-2021, 11:15 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggershark View Post
I take that as an insult. Rivers couldn’t hold Trevor’s jock strap. Comparing him to Luck I can understand. But Rivers had NFL WR’s and still never finished above 4th in the ACC. He played 99% of the time in his games including mop up duty. His stats are more padded than a wonder bra. Imagine if Trevor played in the second half of all those blowouts.

Phillip Rivers is considered by everyone who played with or against him to be the consummate pro. Respected by teammates and opponents alike. This is high praise at the NFL level.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:06 AM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy2402 View Post
Phillip Rivers is considered by everyone who played with or against him to be the consummate pro. Respected by teammates and opponents alike. This is high praise at the NFL level.
Not only that he carried the Chargers forever. They would have been a complete dumpster fire without him.

I hated Rivers in college. Hated him but he was a pretty damn great NFL QB. His trash talking was just hilarious in the NFL as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azKyGR5QNPw
Old 06-17-2021, 06:11 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: Jags coach compares Lawrence to ACC legend

Quote:
Did you read the article? The context of the article was playing professional football rather than college football. Philip Rivers was a very good NFL quarterback who was stuck with a crappy team in San Diego.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:11 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger80 View Post
Did you read the article? The context of the article was playing professional football rather than college football. Philip Rivers was a very good NFL quarterback who was stuck with a crappy team in San Diego.
Yes I read it. I just think Rivers is only a mediocre to average NFL qb whose greatest accomplishment is his longevity of 17 years, mostly for a program that has had little to average success. Rivers has been to the playoffs 7/15 years he has been a starter and has a 5-7 record. He didn’t compare
Lawrence to Wilson, Rodgers, or even Eli Manning. He set the bar low in my opinion.

But if you honestly feel that after Lawrence’s career is over and he had 0 Super Bowl wins or appearances, was 5-7 in post season play but played 17 years in the league was a great career than we have different expectations for Lawrence.
Old 06-17-2021, 10:28 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Yes I read it. I just think Rivers is only a mediocre to average NFL qb whose greatest accomplishment is his longevity of 17 years, mostly for a program that has had little to average success. Rivers has been to the playoffs 7/15 years he has been a starter and has a 5-7 record. He didn’t compare
Lawrence to Wilson, Rodgers, or even Eli Manning. He set the bar low in my opinion.

But if you honestly feel that after Lawrence’s career is over and he had 0 Super Bowl wins or appearances, was 5-7 in post season play but played 17 years in the league was a great career than we have different expectations for Lawrence.
Much of a QBs success depends on the team around him. IMO last year DW4 was a top 5 QB but did not make the playoffs. If he stays in Houston he is not likely to sniff a SB. Rivers had a great career with an average team. Maybe the jags can build around him but their history does not inspire confidence
Old 06-18-2021, 08:06 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Much of a QBs success depends on the team around him. IMO last year DW4 was a top 5 QB but did not make the playoffs. If he stays in Houston he is not likely to sniff a SB. Rivers had a great career with an average team. Maybe the jags can build around him but their history does not inspire confidence
If Watson had had San Diego's OL, Ladainian Tomilson, and Antonio Gates he would have a Super Bowl Ring. Rivers might be dead if he was in Houston behind their OL.

I get it. There are only a few people in the world that can be an NFL QB. But what I am saying is that if you are going to compare Lawerence; who has been referred to as a "once in a generation type player", it isn't exactly a compliment to be compared to one whose 17 year career doesn't have much success other than being in the league for 17 years.