Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2021, 03:44 PM
Founder/Publisher

Default Bilas suggests huge move for ACC

Article
Old 07-26-2021, 03:58 PM
NFL Tiger

Default Re: Bilas suggests huge move for ACC

Lots of folks dont like Bilas including me but on this issue he has a point. Not necessarily merging with the SEC but the ACC needs to go big or expect to get picked apart. If not picked apart then weakened to the point where the ACC is not longer able to compete. Personally I would prefer other options like a merge with the BIG or taking the rest of the B12 in to form a western POD with a 20 team conference.

At this point I am not sure even the addition of ND will be a big enough move to keep the ACC viable as we started too far in the hole.
Old 07-26-2021, 04:00 PM
Two Deep

Interesting idea. Wouldn't love it (don't love expansion in general), but it would keep our seat at the table.

Would piss off UofSC that they have to share the same conference. Would maintain key rivalries.

That would leave the BIG and BIG12 to merge into what's left, and who the heck knows what the PAC would do.

I saw another suggestion that the ACC poach OSU and Michigan or something from the BIG, which is also interesting, albeit no longer even trying to stick to "Atlantic Coast" even though we kinda killed that notion when we brought in Louisville.
Old 07-26-2021, 04:12 PM
NFL Tiger

I don't think the SEC would benefit that much from a complete merger. IMO, as long as they stay ahead of other conferences, they will be happy. And with the latest proposed addition of Tex and Okie, they should be way ahead of the others. I think a merger of the Big Ten and ACC could possibly be a more plausible option.
Old 07-26-2021, 04:27 PM
Ring of Honor

Actually I had to stop and think about his suggestion. It kind of makes sense if a super conference breaks into a pod setup. It also is a new way of thinking if the power 5 conferences form a replacement for the NCAA. What is not discussed is that a merger would essentially put Phillips out of a job before he has barely got started. Therefore, I would say merger not something he’s going to entertain unless the schools push it.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:13 PM
Founder/Publisher

Hate the idea. Would never happen
Old 07-26-2021, 05:18 PM
Tiger Starter

Not a fan of Bilas or the SEC, but I like this just for the sake of seeing the football rivalries and those rivalries having even more implications. I know there are other sports, but we really are a football school primarily and honestly fit in well with those traditional SEC teams instead of Syracuse, Pittsburgh, etc.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:38 PM
Ring of Honor

Better idea...

Come off our high horse, and extend invitations to (gag) Notre Dame and West Virginia.

WVU already has rivalries with Pitt, VaTech, and (to a lesser extent) UVA and Louisville.

Drop the pretense about academic integrity that UNC laughed out the door, and get the "Eers"

16 teams, problem solved.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:41 PM
Ring of Honor

I think this merger concept is really speaking to what comes after the NCAA falls apart and the remnants of the autonomous 5 schools form their own organization. I’m not sure the “conferences” paradigm is going to survive down the road. The whole thing from pay-for-play, unionization, and general migration towards a semi-pro sport is the future we are staring at.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:17 PM
NFL Tiger

I am just so glad that we are in the situation we are in and are one of the teams that are ALWAYS mentioned as being one of the BIG fish left on the board to be in the mix. We will not be left out.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:36 PM
Ring of Honor

I Think the best move is to get Notre Dame and then raid the big ten; Michigan, Ohio state, penn state, Maryland(sigh) and then get WVU from the big 12. Create the first 20 team super conference and then let the pac 12 raid the big 12 and the remaining Midwestern big ten teams.

Which would make 3 super conferences, but the ACC would be pretty good with some solid football history on its side.

Last edited by Cutigergrad04; 07-26-2021 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-27-2021, 06:36 AM
NFL Tiger

So you would expect the Big 10 teams to jump at taking a ~ $20M pay cut per year?
Old 07-27-2021, 06:52 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
So you would expect the Big 10 teams to jump at taking a ~ $20M pay cut per year?
Swofford’s legacy will continue to haunt the ACC. Hopefully the new commissioner will show a back bone and take charge.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:57 AM
Tiger Starter

You guys are thinking too small. None of this is a precursor to a vaunted all-mighty SEC. This is all a precursor to a new NCAA. When the dust settles there will be a new league, setup similarly to the NFL, with a lot more teams.

The SEC is not going to run around with 25 teams while the remaining 40+ good/decent teams play second fiddle. This is the start of a new league altogether.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:00 AM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos View Post
You guys are thinking too small. None of this is a precursor to a vaunted all-mighty SEC. This is all a precursor to a new NCAA. When the dust settles there will be a new league, setup similarly to the NFL, with a lot more teams.

The SEC is not going to run around with 25 teams while the remaining 40+ good/decent teams play second fiddle. This is the start of a new league altogether.
Exactly what I was pointing out. I believe we are at the start of a transformation from the historical “conference” affiliations of schools into a “league” based organization of schools. This will take time, and it’s scary to think about the winners and losers. The real risk is when a conference commissioner and AD’s only see the future as always being the conference affiliation model. They could find themselves way behind what’s actually taking place. They will not understand how the real revenue model will work.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:11 AM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: Bilas suggests huge move for ACC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpawgt View Post
Exactly what I was pointing out. I believe we are at the start of a transformation from the historical “conference” affiliations of schools into a “league” based organization of schools. This will take time, and it’s scary to think about the winners and losers. The real risk is when a conference commissioner and AD’s only see the future as always being the conference affiliation model. They could find themselves way behind what’s actually taking place. They will not understand how the real revenue model will work.
By adding OU and TX, the SEC is preparing for both the distant future as well as the more immediate future.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:37 AM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger80 View Post
By adding OU and TX, the SEC is preparing for both the distant future as well as the more immediate future.

They are definitely positioning themselves to be at the head of the table under the final new format. But it won't be "The SEC". I would imagine a lot of SEC fans are going to have a harder time adjusting to the new lay of the land when everything is said and done. They won't be able to chant, "SEC" anymore. Maybe "CFB Deep South!" or something, haha!
Old 07-27-2021, 10:53 AM
Ring of Honor

I could see the long view as a process of the SEC assembling the most prized schools across all regions, USC and Oregon out west, a Big10 team or two, and someone along the east coast. That east coast is problematic because the best options reside in the ACC with that sink or swim grant of rights going out into the 2030’s. That is probably the ACC’s best negotiating leverage (ie cancellation of the GOR in favor of a merger with the SEC).

Imagine if the SEC assembled these key schools, then later proposed to expand itself into a college D1 league. They would have all the leverage vs. all the remaining schools sitting on the outside looking in. Those struggling remnants of yesteryear’s conferences would all rush to get on board, but with the SEC controlling and pulling the strings with their exclusive tv partner.

Does this seem too far fetched? I don’t think so. The big money has found it’s lead horse and now they just need to navigate their way towards the super league goal line.