Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2021, 12:17 PM
TCI Staff

Default Stanford is only playing Power 5 opponents

Old 03-02-2021, 12:47 PM
Two Deep

Default Re: Stanford is only playing Power 5 opponents

I wonder if Clemson would consider a home and home with Stanford?
Old 03-02-2021, 01:03 PM
Two Deep

Are we still counting the PAC12 as a power 5 conference?
Old 03-02-2021, 01:28 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by geech72 View Post
Are we still counting the PAC12 as a power 5 conference?
Old 03-03-2021, 09:11 AM
NFL Tiger

On the one hand I think this is great as I am tired of seeing P5 powers scheduling SoCon level games they have no business playing. On the other hand P5 teams need to play 1-2 G5 games as its the only way to judge the quality of the G5 teams. Since G5 teams are shooting for the same playoff spots as the P5 teams we need a measuring stick to judge their level of play.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:35 AM
Tiger Starter

Good for them. Wish more teams would do it.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:53 AM
Ring of Honor

I posted about this in the past. P5 programs should schedule G5 opponents out of conference in place of FCS. Better games, help the G5 generate more interest and potentially improve their rosters. However, that basically kills the FCS outside of the uber wealthy private schools. Hence I proposed a scheme whereby the P5 conferences distribute funding to FCS schools that need it to remain viable. This funding is currently taking place as glorified exhibition games during the fall anyhow. Iím tired of seeing that method of compensation in the form of boring games.

Finally, I donít the various ideas about moving the FCS into a spring sport or asking fans to see paid scrimmages against P5 as being viable. Plus it just hinders the NCAA and conferences from finding solutions to the issues they have right now to increase fan support of basketball, baseball, and softball. Just my opinion on the topic.
Old 03-03-2021, 02:14 PM
NFL Tiger

Well I do not mind our guys helping the instate smaller schools.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:07 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpawgt View Post
I posted about this in the past. P5 programs should schedule G5 opponents out of conference in place of FCS. Better games, help the G5 generate more interest and potentially improve their rosters. However, that basically kills the FCS outside of the uber wealthy private schools. Hence I proposed a scheme whereby the P5 conferences distribute funding to FCS schools that need it to remain viable. This funding is currently taking place as glorified exhibition games during the fall anyhow. Iím tired of seeing that method of compensation in the form of boring games.

Finally, I donít the various ideas about moving the FCS into a spring sport or asking fans to see paid scrimmages against P5 as being viable. Plus it just hinders the NCAA and conferences from finding solutions to the issues they have right now to increase fan support of basketball, baseball, and softball. Just my opinion on the topic.

Just an opinion, but if the NCAA would OK playing FCS teams as a Spring Game, you'd see Clemson just as packed for Furman or SC State in April as you would in the Fall. Again, just an opinion.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:52 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:

I'm more inclined towards this now, but just a few short years ago the number of G5 level schools in our region was so low that it didn't make sense for us. It was pretty much only ECU and the U_F twins. With the ascension of the former SoCon and Big South schools into the Sunbelt and the creation of programs at Charlotte and Georgia State that's changed to where we could play a G5 in place of the FCS schools and still have a recognizable opponent.

The biggest hurdle I see is politically. A couple of SC legislators asked why Clemson and South Carolina were paying teams like Utah State and Eastern Michigan for games when there were schools in-state they could play and keep the money in South Carolina. Rather than have the nightmare of the SC legislature sticking their nose in scheduling both schools agreed to play the in-state FCS programs. Unless the NCAA changes the rules, and they aren't going to, we could be legally required to play the in-state schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRTTMT View Post
Just an opinion, but if the NCAA would OK playing FCS teams as a Spring Game, you'd see Clemson just as packed for Furman or SC State in April as you would in the Fall. Again, just an opinion.

The problem with that is the FCS programs due to lower scholarship numbers have some serious roster problems in the spring. Heck, we've seen FBS, including P5, programs cancel spring games because of not having enough healthy players available.

I like the exhibition idea, just move it to two to three weeks before the regular season when rosters are full.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:55 AM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRTTMT View Post
Love this idea
Old 03-04-2021, 05:58 AM
Ring of Honor

The Spring game is a scrimmage so the entire roster gets snaps. Play an FCS team and players get less work and canít practice what the staff wants to focus on. Keep all scrimmages plus an FCS game and you lose alloted practice hours and risk injury in a meaningless exhibition game. Not going to happen. Write a check to put into an FCS fund, spread the cost across all P5. As fans we get an FBS game in place of the FCS. Win-win.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:16 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:

Hate the idea that P5 should pay FCS teams for not playing. FCS can scale their programs or go away. Perhaps if fans are not interested enough to attend and support the teams they dont need a football team?
Old 03-04-2021, 09:58 AM
Travel Team

There are not many FCS programs in California. Little South Carolina probably has as many FCS programs as California. I don't have a problem playing an in state FCS program once a year. It is beneficial to both programs.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:43 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy86 View Post
There are not many FCS programs in California. Little South Carolina probably has as many FCS programs as California. I don't have a problem playing an in state FCS program once a year. It is beneficial to both programs.

I agree with this. It gives the guys that might normally never see the field real game experience and it helps keep the FCS programs afloat. Win-Win. There's that occasional big upset like Citadel beating USuCk or App State beating Micigan that is worth 50 blowout IMO.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:43 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy86 View Post

SC actually has more.

Cali: (4) Cal-Poly, Sacramento State, Cal-Davis, San Diego

SC: (6) The Citadel, Furman, Wofford, PC, SC State, Charleston Southern
Old 03-04-2021, 03:00 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllOrange67 View Post
I agree with this. It gives the guys that might normally never see the field real game experience and it helps keep the FCS programs afloat. Win-Win. There's that occasional big upset like Citadel beating USuCk or App State beating Micigan that is worth 50 blowout IMO.
I thought ElCid was favored over the coots so it was not really an upset.