Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2021, 10:17 PM
Travel Team

Default Should and/or How to Leverage Transfer Portal?

I get it. Coach Swinney prefers to recruit young men that fit our culture and sustain the tightly knit All-In family. I donít blame him ó Iíd prefer that too. At the same time, he wants to create competitive advantage at every opportunity. A friend of mine recently said that a transfer star QB on a playoff team was an anomaly, to which I replied ďmaybe so, but we just got beat by 2 in 2 yearsĒ. Fields and Sermon looked like the two best offensive skill players on the field last week, both obviously transfers.

The TP is a reality, whether any of us like it or not. Itís an opportunity for competitive advantage, but doesnít come without risk to locker room chemistry. Do you think we soon begin to learn to embrace it, reluctantly, as CDS has suggested? I think not. Curious on your take though.
Old 01-06-2021, 04:58 AM
Travel Team

Default Re: Should and/or How to Leverage Transfer Portal?

Sheer stubbornness and definitely a disadvantage for us. Not sure how the scholarship numbers work out for say an Ohio State, but I do respect Dabo for keeping kids scholarships that don’t pan out (which I doubt Ohio State does). That also puts us at a disadvantage but understandable one. The notion that a transfer might be bad for the locker room doesn’t make sense to me though, same background check/ interview would be done as with a HS recruit.

Last edited by cutigers2321; 01-06-2021 at 05:03 AM.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:40 AM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: Should and/or How to Leverage Transfer Portal?

I donít think we need players to transfer here from other schools. We need to develop the players that join the team. We have done a poor job developing some players in Position groups like the offensive line. If you have a player join the team from another university they are still going to have the same problems integrating with the people that are already here. That is especially true for certain positions like the O-line.

That being said, I wouldnít be opposed to excepting someone that transfers. However, they would need to be a very, very good fit with our needs and our culture.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:52 AM
Ring of Honor

Dabo emphasizes developing players. Itís a huge part of the culture and a primary way to succeed in recruiting. When a transfer arrives in a sense itís saying we are done developing some of the current players. I guess thatís the biggest concern for the locker room. Hereís the thing, thatís already happening when a current player decides to transfer from Clemson. They have decided they canít develop into a starter so time to move on. With the transfer portal the balance between the coaching staff and players for a winning roster is skewed. The players have the leverage and the staff ends up with potential gaps on the depth chart if they donít consider using the portal in return.

Thus far most Clemson players have stayed until graduation so they get their degree and ability to play right away. That has helped provide the staff a buffer for their recruiting classes, but with sitting out a year going away I canít see how the portal wonít become a bigger problem.
Old 01-06-2021, 08:03 AM
Founder/Publisher

Swinney's process has worked good to date. He has left the door open to use the portal in the future if he has to but he certainly doesn't want to.

I do believe the team could be better in some years if he did use the portal.
Old 01-06-2021, 08:21 AM
Two Deep

We have managed to keep kids who haven't seen the field much in the first couple of years. Powell for example.

But that isn't always going to be the case. We can't keep batting 0.850 on that.

A time will come when a particular position group is going to get crushed by the transfer portal or just attrition in general. And Dabo won't have much choice outside of considering some transfers.
Old 01-06-2021, 09:03 AM
NFL Tiger

My guess is Dabo has used the fact that we don't use the portal as a selling point during the recruiting process. For this reason he will not jump into the portal but will first need to change his messaging to new recruits. Even then as Neb stated it will be a one off thing to address a particular need.
Old 01-06-2021, 10:01 PM
Travel Team

And addressing a particular need (sporadically) is exactly how it should be used IMO. Bringing someone new to the locker room upsets the ďnext man upĒ idea, even if the new guy is a high character person. I think there would be messaging needed for the team as well as for recruiting.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:51 AM
TCI Staff

It has worked out well for Ohio State. Fields and Sermon were both transfers.
Old 01-07-2021, 11:37 AM
Two Deep

I'm not sure where I saw Dabo's comments on the Transfer Portal, but my read on what he said was we haven't used it and would prefer not to, but the rules are changing, so we will look more into it.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:09 PM
Ring of Honor

Regarding team chemistry, I was struck by the support that the Bama starting center got from his teammates when he got injured. I took even greater note when I learned he was a transfer into Bama. Clearly the TP can work for elite teams, so Dabo better figure out his plans. Itís not just a quick fix for a new coaching staff to rebuild a program anymore. Itís not sufficient to say due to injuries and/or transfers out that these are the cards weíve been dealt and itís next man up. The next player may in fact not be ready to support the team with functional depth.
Old 01-07-2021, 01:17 PM
Tiger Starter

The transfer portal is like looking for a wife on the steps of divorce court....it way work out for you, but there’s usually a reason that they were there.
Old 01-07-2021, 01:42 PM
Two Deep

Seems to me that most kids in the portal want to play right away and be a starter. If that is the case then you would only use it to acquire a starter, otherwise they would just transfer out the following year and be a cancer in your locker room. I would use it very sparingly. I do not think you would be successful using it to bring depth to a particular position.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:03 PM
Scholarship Player

The right player, in the right situation...sure, Iím all for it. But, the players in the transfer portal are there for a reason, and itís oftentimes not a great reason.