Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2020, 08:04 AM
Founder/Publisher

Default What does Florida's loss mean for the CFP?

It sure should knock Florida out of the CFP.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:47 AM
Tiger Starter

Default Re: What does Florida's loss mean for the CFP?

It means they are out. They will have three losses by this time next week. Good try. Thanks for playing.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:02 AM
NFL Tiger

Did it really change anything? Hereís the thing, if UF beats Bama should they not get in as the SEC champ? If conference championships donít mean anything then we should disband the conferences. Winning the conference should be the first round and a qualifier for the playoffs. Then take the top four champions and play for the national championship. If UF beats Bama it means they are the better team so how can you put Bama in the playoffs and leave UF out? Itís rational to think there are four other champions better than UF but not Bama. I hate a playoff based on beauty pageant rules.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:41 AM
Ring of Honor

CFP is body of work and eye test. A two loss team has yet to break through that criteria. This year charts new ground because what is body of work if you played only 6 games full of a bunch of under 500 teams? If I recall from past years the conference championship is not as strong a criteria as one would think. Itís used as a tiebreaker when comparing two teams.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:42 AM
Founder/Publisher

If Florida were to beat Bama, not going to happen, I think Bama still gets in and Florida does not.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:43 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpawgt View Post
CFP is body of work and eye test. A two loss team has yet to break through that criteria. This year charts new ground because what is body of work if you played only 6 games full of a bunch of under 500 teams? If I recall from past years the conference championship is not as strong a criteria as one would think. Itís used as a tiebreaker when comparing two teams.
In that case there is no reason to play the SECCG as Bama will be in and UF out regardless so save time and money by cancelling the game. Makes no sense...
Old 12-13-2020, 10:00 AM
Two Deep

Bama has already been in playoffs without playing in championship game.
They definitely had the physical advantage. Extra week to heal makes a big difference. OSU has been a joke! Surely everyone should know this. Will not be surprised if OSU is in.
Old 12-13-2020, 11:02 AM
Tiger Starter

I wouldn't want my CFP chances hinging on both Alabama and Clemson losing on the same weekend.
Old 12-13-2020, 11:36 AM
Ring of Honor

I think Bama and ND are in no matter what. Florida was not an elite team and is going to get boat races by Bama...nothing changes for me, they're out.

We win and we're in.

Ohio St wins and I think they make it in.

That's your 4.

Now if we lose, I'm guessing Texas A&M makes it. Oh I St loses...same deal. We both lose...now you get some chaos.
Old 12-13-2020, 02:00 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsonfan1364 View Post
I think Bama and ND are in no matter what. Florida was not an elite team and is going to get boat races by Bama...nothing changes for me, they're out.

We win and we're in.

Ohio St wins and I think they make it in.

That's your 4.

Now if we lose, I'm guessing Texas A&M makes it. Oh I St loses...same deal. We both lose...now you get some chaos.
I have to disagree with you on the if Notre Dame loses. I think if they lose close to Clemson it will be a 50/50 shot with them and A&M. I just believe if they lose it will be how they lose. Notre Dame can not afford to get boat raced by a healthy Clemson team. I feel that the experts believe Clemson is better than Notre Dame which is why Clemson has lost practically zero steam in the eyes of the CFP. So I think if Clemson wins by double digits it will just validate what they thought to begin with that Clemson was the better team when everything is equal and Notre Dame will be left out. Just my opinion though.
Old 12-13-2020, 04:06 PM
Two Deep

Iíll say it again - OSU should not be in. If you can get in without playing, why take the risk of loss or injury? Itís atrocious.

If OSU ends up in the top 4 on Tuesday night it sends a terrible message. If the eye test is all that matters then Bama, ND, and Clemson have DISincentive to play. Yes, pride and conference championships are reasons to play, but regarding the playoff why risk getting knocked out of the CFP by losing (Clemson), losing big (Bama or ND), or sustaining major injuries (all 3)?
Old 12-13-2020, 04:13 PM
NFL Tiger

IF , AND mean IF, Florida beats Bama and is the SEC Champ,a 2 loss SEC Champ gets in. The SEC will be(someday) the first to get a TWO loss Champion in. That said, Florida was always gonna get throttled by Bama, no matter how far the UF DB threw the shoe