Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2019, 08:24 PM
Owner, Publisher

Default The Insider Report

It is time for this week’s edition of The Insider Report.

We hope everyone had a great weekend. It was Another Clemson Championship so we assume it was a great one.

Clemson losing a great one, for now

It has been a tough week tracking the Jeff Scott move to South Florida. I have been covering Jeff and his ties to Clemson recruiting going all the way back to when he was a high school head coach at Blythewood.

Clemson is not just losing a great coach, but also a great family. Brad Scott has been an important part of the success the Tigers have had and he will be right by Jeff’s side as he tried to replicate some of Clemson at South Florida. Jeff couldn’t have a better “right hand man” to help him on his new journey.

Jeff will be missed as much on the recruiting trail as he will on the field. He was one of the best I’ve seen come through Clemson. Jeff was able to connect with prospects and their families. He was always a hit at the Dabo Swinney camps where many of the prospects first got to work with him. A lot of the Tigers best receivers worked at camp with coach Scott and then went on to great careers.

Don’t be surprised if we see Jeff back home at Clemson in the future. Dabo is building a strong coaching tree and in the future we will see some of them back with the Tigers most likely.

We wish Jeff and his family success as he moves to the next phase of his life. He will always be a Tiger.

Grisham almost became a Steeler, again

If you saw our update earlier in the day, you saw that a source told TCI that Tyler Grisham will be Clemson’s new wide receivers’ coach with Jeff Scott moving on to South Florida as its new head coach.

Grisham, who played at Clemson from 2005-’08, was signed by the Pittsburgh Steelers as an undrafted free agent in 2009. He went on to make the team that season and played in a couple of games. He stayed on with the Steelers for two more years, working as a member of the practice squad. In 2012, he signed with Broncos and was on the practice squad there, too.
In 2014, Grisham came back to Clemson and has served the last six seasons as an offensive analyst on Dabo Swinney’s staff, helping Scott with the wide receivers.

This past summer, Grisham got a call from his former pro coach, Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin, who wanted him to come up to Pittsburgh and talk about a job opening he had on his staff. Ultimately, according to a source, Tomlin offered Grisham a job, but the former Tiger turned in down. We were told Grisham turned down the job because he was not ready to leave Clemson and there were going to be some opportunities for him down here.

It looks like we now know why he did not take the job in Pittsburgh.

More on why Tony Elliott did not go to Missouri

As you know, Tony Elliott was pursued by Missouri last week after it fired Barry Odom as head coach. However, Elliott did not want to talk with Missouri while he was preparing Clemson for its ACC Championship Game against Virginia.

Missouri understood, but it decided to move on with its search.

We did a little more digging and this is something Elliott feels really strong about. A source told us Elliott does not like talking to a team until after the season is over. Not just the regular season, but the College Football Playoff.
This is something he personally believes in. He wants to be totally invested as he prepares for the next game.

Now, we were also told Elliott’s agent will speak to other schools that are interested and will handle all communication for Elliott until the Tigers’ season is complete. Some might think this could prevent Elliott from getting a head coaching job, but we are told if a school really wants him, they will wait.
Obviously, Missouri was not willing to wait.

“I really don’t like this time of the year because it forces my name to come up, which is unfair to these players,” Elliott said following the win over Virginia in the ACC Championship Game. “I understand why it is happening. But the reason it is happening is because of all those guys in that locker room. I turned 40 this year. I had a tough year with C.J. (Fuller) and Tyshon (Dye). That has really changed by perspective about a lot of things.

“I have two little boys that are growing up so fast. So, it has nothing to do with my future as much as, man time is going by really, really fast and this could be the last couple of times I get to step on the field with Travis (Etienne). To think he showed up here a couple of years ago and he was just a little guy and now he is doing unbelievable things.

“So, I just want to take some time to really enjoy that. There is going to be a time and a place for my future. I truly believe that, but today is more about really appreciating my time with these guys and really cherishing the accomplishments that they have had.”

Making a Move

Clemson made a move this past weekend for a speedy prospect in the 2020 class from the Sunshine State.

Lakeland (Fla.) four-star cornerback Kendall Dennis received an offer from the Tigers on Friday. Clemson cornerbacks coach Mike Reed made an in-home visit with Dennis on Friday as well.

On Sunday, Dennis announced a top five of Clemson, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Florida State and Tennessee, adding that he will commit sometime this month.

Dennis is now scheduled to take his final planned official visit to Clemson this weekend. He will be accompanied on the trip to campus with his parents and sister. Oklahoma and Nebraska have also gotten official visits.

Dennis is teammates at Lakeland High School with Clemson five-star running back commit Demarkcus Bowman. The two have a good relationship that dates to their middle school days.

Dennis told us that he has been in contact with Clemson for about a month and he feels the Tigers are recruiting him hard right now. We like Clemson’s chances if they want to make a push for him down the stretch.

According to Dennis, he is not sure whether or not he will sign during the early signing period (Dec. 18-20) but said he probably will. He plans to enroll at his school of choice next summer.

Dennis ran a 4.40 40-yard dash at a combine back in February.

Clemson already giving LSU trouble

Dennis is not the only defensive back prospect in the 2020 class that is getting attention from the Tigers less than 10 days before the start of the early signing period.

TCI has confirmed that Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney is expected to pay a visit this week to Highland Springs (Va.) four-star Malcolm Greene, who has been committed to LSU since October.

We have been tracking Greene, who received an offer from Clemson in August 2018 and last visited Clemson in the spring. We reported in late September that Clemson assistant Todd Bates attended one of Greene’s games to check him out for cornerbacks coach Mike Reed. Greene attends Highland Springs High, the same school that Clemson senior safety K’Von Wallace hails from.

We have checked with sources and are hearing that Clemson is in a strong position with Greene right now, and we can also tell you that the Tigers have decided to add another DB in the 2020 class. As mentioned above, Clemson pulled the trigger on an offer to Dennis on Friday and also offered Florida DB commit Tre’Vez Johnson last month. The Tigers currently have three commitments from DBs in five-star cornerback Fred Davis, four-star safety R.J. Mickens and safety Tyler Venables.

Based on what we are hearing, we even believe that if today were signing day, Greene would likely sign with the Tigers. From what we have heard, we feel like he will be a Tiger but will be playing in the real Death Valley.

DJ Uiagalelei on Scott’s departure

We have checked in with a number of Clemson commits since learning that Jeff Scott is leaving his co-offensive coordinator role at Clemson to become the new head coach at South Florida.

One of the future Tigers we spoke with is five-star DJ Uiagalelei, the nation’s No. 1 quarterback from St. John Bosco in Bellflower, Calif. DJ found out the news about Scott on Sunday when one of the other commits sent a message about it in the group chat that the commits are in.

There is nothing to worry about with DJ. He remains All In with the Tigers and will enroll at Clemson in early January.

“All I can say is that I loved coach Scott and he was a great coach and great guy and all I wish is the best for him in his next job,” DJ told TCI.

DJ and St. John Bosco are getting ready to play De La Salle (Concord, Calif.) in the CIF Open Division state title game this Saturday. After the season, DJ will play in the All-American Bowl in San Antonio on Jan. 4 and he will also play in the Polynesian Bowl in Hawaii on Jan. 18.

Please do not copy of paste this information to any other media outlets. As you know TCI is Free so if you know someone that wants the information simply send them to The Rock.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:25 PM
Tiger Starter

Default Re: The Insider Report

"We were told Grisham turned down the job because he was not ready to leave Clemson and there were going to be some opportunities for him down here."

This is why i'm not overly concerned with coaches leaving. Dabo's playing the long game. The only coaches i'm legit concerned about are Dabo and BV. Those two can't be replaced.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:00 AM
Travel Team

Why did the staff decide recently to focus more attention on CB for the 2020 class? Is there reason to believe that one of the DBs on the current roster has decided to leave early?
Old 12-10-2019, 08:31 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by geech72 View Post
Why did the staff decide recently to focus more attention on CB for the 2020 class? Is there reason to believe that one of the DBs on the current roster has decided to leave early?
Or with adding OL and chasing DBs does this mean other high profile 2020 guys or guys we now know are not coming thus opening slots.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:49 AM
Walk On

The OL and dbs of late could also be because Travis, simmons, Higgins and others could have told him they are leaving. Also probably not getting Burch. I just hope we get Xzavier Henderson.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:21 AM
Tiger Starter

OL/DL are sometimes interchangeable. Not saying this is going to happen but big bodies are a premium. As for DB's, it wasn't that long ago we were taking a WR and seeing how well he could play DB. This has actually happened twice in the past 3 years. McCloud and now Kendrick. It might have also happened with Renfrow.