Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > All Welcome > Joe's Place
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2009, 01:36 PM
MR Perfidity - Clemson Insider

Default Civic Pride

The demise of the small town has had a dramatic effect on our ideas of civic pride. By no means has civic pride died a slow death, it still exists but in an entirely fifferent form. We now have highly trained professionals who are paid to instill civic pride in our citizenry. This is not all bad but it can not compare with civic pride that originates nd resides in the heart of the individual. Permit me to ralate a prime example that exemplifies the true meaning of civic pride.

I grew up in a small town in North Florida, a town so small we did not have a town drunk. We had to travel sixteen miles one way to the nearest town of any size to actually see a drunk. The town fathers knew we would be the laughing stock of the entire state should word leak out that we did not have a town drunk. Out of desperation an idea was born and presented to the towns people. All adult citizens were asked to volunteer as the town drunk on a rotating basis. The town fathers had figured that perhaps 30 civic minded citizens would volunteer their services, meaning that each one would serve one day each month. But were they surprised !! There were 638 adults in the town and the final tally showed that 871 had volunteered. The extra volunteers lived outside the town limits, some as far away as the next county. The town fathers were elated at this reponse, attributing this response to the high degree of civic pride exhibited by people both within the town and the surrouning area.

Needless to say, the program was an overwhelming success. Not one person missed their turn serving as the town drunk and there were always plenty of volunteers should someone not be able to serve on their appointed day. In fact, there were several who went the extra mile and served on a weekly basis, and sometimes, more often. What a wonderful diplay of civic pride !!!!

One day a new family moved to town. Being a small town swelled with civic pride, the family was welcomed with open arms. Soon thereafter word began to circulate around town that the head of the household was a bonafide drunk. This was, indeed, a disturbing situation. Would having a bonafide drunk in town deprive all of those civic minded citizens the opportunity to serve as the town drunk? Petitions were circulated, the new town drunk and his family were ridiculed and pressure was brought to bear by the town fathers to run them out of town. After all, civic pride was not something that could be cast out like dish water. Last, but not least, the town had its image to preserve. Even this episode was an opporunity for the town people to show thir civic pride --- everyone showed up to help the family pack and move out of town. Now, isn't that what cicic pride is all about?
Old 03-26-2009, 02:19 PM
Charter Member - Clemson Insider

Default Re: Civic Pride

Joe wasn't this an episode on the Andy Griffith Show. lol You do weave an interesting tale there Mr Joe.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:58 PM
Clemson Insider - 2010 March Madness Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerDelk View Post
Joe wasn't this an episode on the Andy Griffith Show. lol You do weave an interesting tale there Mr Joe.
That is exactly what I was gonna say
Old 03-26-2009, 03:59 PM
Clemson Insider

Can you give us more stories in the future. I like sci-fi J/K That was an interesting story though!!!
Old 03-26-2009, 04:54 PM
MR Perfidity - Clemson Insider

Otis was the town drunk on the Andy Griffith show. I don't recall any other episode re the topic. I wrote this story many years ago. One of my "friends" introduced me at a meeting where I was making a presentation. His opening remarks-- "Joe comes from a town so small they didn't have a town drunk, everyone had to take a turn". In a letter to him sometime later, I told him I had spoken to the town fathers about his disparaging remark and they were highly offended. The citizens of my home town took great pride in serving in this capacity --- an opportunity to display their civic pride.

Over the years this "friend" and I played several practical jokes on each other, some of which I will probably write about in the coming years. I don't want to bore you with a long story, I can do that in just a few words.