Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2021, 08:07 AM
TCI Staff

Default Monday Morning Quarterback

There are many reasons why the Tigers are struggling on offense. But if you look close enough, you can find the source to it all.

https://theclemsoninsider.com/2021/0...ue-on-offense/
Old 09-20-2021, 09:11 AM
Way2tall

Default Re: Monday Morning Quarterback

Will, I get what you're saying. But Etienne was the bandaid. He covered up the ugliness on the line (somewhat. If he hadn't learned to be such a threat catching the ball we would have been sunk. He couldn't run last year either compared to his normal) and several other ills. But him not being here is a symptom, not the problem. The problem to me is coaching. We aren't developing the better recruits we are getting on the OL, the 4* and 5* receivers aren't getting separation and commanding the ball, and Cinco has regressed from his limited action last year. We should be developing the new players that we have and calling plays that will put them in a position to succeed. For Tony Elliott to say that Ga Tech didn't do what we thought they would so we almost lost the game is laughable. If they did exactly what we expected then their DC should be fired!

I see the one common denominator in all this is coaching. I'm starting to feel like our family environment is going too far. I think we need some new blood, some new ideas, different perspectives. We'll see how Dabo responds because the ball is in his court.

Last edited by talltiger83; 09-20-2021 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:32 AM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by talltiger83 View Post
Will, I get what you're saying. But Etienne was the bandaid. He covered up the ugliness on the line (somewhat. If he hadn't learned to be such a threat catching the ball we would have been sunk. He couldn't run last year either compared to his normal) and several other other ills. But him not being here is a symptom, not the problem. The problem to me is coaching. We aren't developing the better recruits we are getting on the OL, the 4* and 5* receivers aren't getting separation and commanding the ball, and Cinco has regressed from his limited action last year. We should be developing the new players that we have and calling plays that will put them in a position to succeed. For Tony Elliott to say that Ga Tech didn't do what we thought they would so we almost lost the game is laughable. If they did exactly what we expected then their DC should be fired!

I see the one common denominator in all this is coaching. I'm starting to feel like our family environment is going too far. I think we need some new blood, some new ideas, different perspectives. We'll see how Dabo responds because the ball is in his court.
This is the same coaching staff that won you a national championship less than three years ago. The coaching is fine, IMO.

Uiagalelei is the same QB as last year. The OL is better than last year's. There is more talent and more depth, though injuries are catching up there.

Uiagalelei's confidence is shot right now due to the Georgia game. The coaches are trying to rebuild his confidence slowly.

Etienne allowed Clemson to stretch the field because he always had to be accounted for. I have talked to a lot of football guys and they have all told me, not having Etienne back in the backfield is the biggest loss from last year's team.

You saw what Georgia Tech did, and by the way the Yellow Jackets have a good secondary, they sat back. They did not react to any of the play action, even with Shipley running the ball for 80 yards. They were not worried about the running game one bit.

Georgia Tech changed its attack. Showed Clemson something they had not done this year and just once last year and that was against UCF.

Clemson's coaches adjusted in the second half. The three drives they had were good drives. All went over 30 yards. But the first one ended with a dropped pass on third down. Uiagalelei fumbled that ended a very long drive in the red zone on the second possession and then on the third possession, Shipley scored his second touchdown.

This might be the way Clemson has to play until they can make some home run plays in the running game. The longest run this year is 30 yards and that came against SC State.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:10 AM
Two Deep

Will....you make a lot of sense. Another reason why DJ needs to be more involved in the running game.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:51 AM
Way2tall

I'll agree that we couldn't throw the long ball with them defending against it but why couldn't we run the ball? Why are we depending on true freshmen offensive linemen to block for us? We've got a stable of running backs, Lyn J being very experienced and explosive. Why couldn't we run the ball and force them to pull their defensive backs up in run support?
I can see that DJ's confidence is shot but that's because he was mauled because our Oline couldn't block. Even this week we couldn't even get out of our own end zone to win the game! I'm sorry to beat a dead horse but at our level we shouldn't be a one trick pony and no player graduating should be that big of a setback.
Old 09-20-2021, 11:10 AM
Two Deep

I could not possibly disagree with the premise of this piece any more.

To suggest the absolute root cause of the offense's struggles being anything other than the shaky and makeshift offensive line is wholly misguided.

With the OL the way it is, QB1 has even less confidence in going through his progressions.

With the OL the way it is, RBs need to make up for holes that may not be there or may not be there in the timing necessary.

It starts up front. QB1 has struggled and a good bit of that is squarely on his shoulders.

But the preponderance of the offense's problems? Squarely up front. Talent and coaching. No two ways about it.
Old 09-20-2021, 12:31 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: Monday Morning Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by goindownsouth View Post
I could not possibly disagree with the premise of this piece any more.

To suggest the absolute root cause of the offense's struggles being anything other than the shaky and makeshift offensive line is wholly misguided.

With the OL the way it is, QB1 has even less confidence in going through his progressions.

With the OL the way it is, RBs need to make up for holes that may not be there or may not be there in the timing necessary.

It starts up front. QB1 has struggled and a good bit of that is squarely on his shoulders.

But the preponderance of the offense's problems? Squarely up front. Talent and coaching. No two ways about it.
+1 Our O-line has never been Excellent. One might argue they have been somewhat average but we had skilled players that covered it up. This year they are playing badly and as you said it affects everything else.
Old 09-20-2021, 12:47 PM
NFL Tiger

Plenty of teams have lesser OL recruits than Clemsonís and no Travis Etienne but donít struggle to score beyond 7 pts in the final 50 minutes vs the defense of Ga Techís caliber.

Thereís a reason why Etienne only rushed for 5.4 YPC last yr even with Trevor at QB (compared to 7.9 the previous 2), and itís not all on the OL. Has a lot more to do w/ the offensive design & play-calling than anything, including the heavy lack of modernization & innovation.

We didnít win 2 championships bc of TE. He wasnít the one playing out of his mind at QB when plays break down or the pressure gets to him; he wasnít the one making insane catches that kept drives going that otherwise wouldíve been squandered; he wasnít on the defensive line shutting down Bamaís offense on 3rd & 4th down inside scoring range. Giving him credit that belonged to those guys is not cool.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:29 PM
Tiger Starter

The argument can be made that Travis excelled in spite of an average at best Oline. It's apparent to anyone with a football IQ that this team cannot routinely open running lanes. I have a friend who said he knew when the guard was going to pull saturday because he would line up 1 foot into the backfield. I was at the game and didn't notice. But if true, if someone on tv can catch that you know the opposing DC can.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:30 PM
NFL Tiger

This is now a QB driven game. If you have a poorly performing QB, you are going to have a poorly performing Offense. Period. DJ has to step up and Streeter and TE need to do whatever it takes to fix him mentally and/or mechanically. While our OL is not great, it's not terrible and no excuse with our weapons for us to be averaging less than 30+ points per game. I travel a lot and almost every teams fans, CFB and NFL, complain about how bad their OL play is. I do agree that our play calling has been pretty bad but I feel like it's been pulled back to try to get DJ (and other young players) more confidence. It is not working however, so time to open it up. If DJ can't get it together he needs to ride the pine until he can. I also agree with some other posts that this NIL thing has given players one more thing to worry about and cause a distraction. It's never good when politicians stick their nose where it doesn't belong.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:37 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerphins View Post
Plenty of teams have lesser OL recruits than Clemsonís and no Travis Etienne but donít struggle to score beyond 7 pts in the final 50 minutes vs the defense of Ga Techís caliber.

Thereís a reason why Etienne only rushed for 5.4 YPC last yr even with Trevor at QB (compared to 7.9 the previous 2), and itís not all on the OL. Has a lot more to do w/ the offensive design & play-calling than anything, including the heavy lack of modernization & innovation.

We didnít win 2 championships bc of TE. He wasnít the one playing out of his mind at QB when plays break down or the pressure gets to him; he wasnít the one making insane catches that kept drives going that otherwise wouldíve been squandered; he wasnít on the defensive line shutting down Bamaís offense on 3rd & 4th down inside scoring range. Giving him credit that belonged to those guys is not cool.
Dang, you want to discard any achievements giving all credit to the players but when things go wrong it is all TE's fault? Somehow assigning credit to suit your preferred narrative seems disingenuous at best
Old 09-20-2021, 02:30 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Dang, you want to discard any achievements giving all credit to the players but when things go wrong it is all TE's fault? Somehow assigning credit to suit your preferred narrative seems disingenuous at best
Apparently you didnít watch the first championship win where Deshaun put on his Superman cape, and Mike Williams & Co made some ridiculous catches to win that game that were all ON THEM! Whatís disingenuous is giving THEIR CREDIT to TE. Same goes for the second championship where Ross & Higgins made their crazy catches. Additionally disingenuous of you to give all of Jeff Scottís credit to TE as well, as we can now see who was responsible for any of the innovations we witnessed from 2015-19, despite you seeming to want to pretend like TE was the sole coordinator during that period.
Old 09-20-2021, 02:49 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerphins View Post
Apparently you didnít watch the first championship win where Deshaun put on his Superman cape, and Mike Williams & Co made some ridiculous catches to win that game that were all ON THEM! Whatís disingenuous is giving THEIR CREDIT to TE. Same goes for the second championship where Ross & Higgins made their crazy catches. Additionally disingenuous of you to give all of Jeff Scottís credit to TE as well, as we can now see who was responsible for any of the innovations we witnessed from 2015-19, despite you seeming to want to pretend like TE was the sole coordinator during that period.
In 2016 we had a talent deficit to Bama (per the blue chip percentage) so yes we had guys making great plays. They made great plays and TE also called great plays. Do you think DW4 called his own plays? We also had great OL play but according to some TE has forgotten how to call plays (maybe he is calling the wrong plays) and Robbie C has forgotten how to coach the OL. Really seems silly when you look it from a non agenda driven standpoint