Clemson Insider Logo



Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 05-15-2019, 04:11 PM
Clemsonfan1364 Clemsonfan1364 is online now
Ring of Honor
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 7,745
Default Re: One of Clemson's expected starters at LB enters transfer portal

Didnt Maryland hire one of his high school coaches recently?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-15-2019, 10:08 PM
Tiger80 Tiger80 is online now
Ring of Honor
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 12,846
Post Re: One of Clemson's expected starters at LB enters transfer portal

I hope he rethinks this. I think he is making a big mistake. What moron is giving him advice? Why would Shaq listen to anyone after BV said he was playing so well.

Would Dabo take him back if he changed his mind?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-16-2019, 09:02 AM
BloodTiger BloodTiger is online now
Travel Team
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 364
Default Re: One of Clemson's expected starters at LB enters transfer portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger80 View Post
Would Dabo take him back if he changed his mind?
No. Dabo has already said he views the transfer portal as not being “All In”.

It’s an irredeemable action.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-16-2019, 09:21 AM
whitiger whitiger is online now
NFL Tiger
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3,120
Default Re: One of Clemson's expected starters at LB enters transfer portal

Skalski, we good.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-16-2019, 09:40 AM
tigerpawgt tigerpawgt is online now
Tiger Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Grand Blanc MI
Posts: 2,404
Default Re: One of Clemson's expected starters at LB enters transfer portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsonfan1364 View Post
Didnt Maryland hire one of his high school coaches recently?
This is what Iíve read. Also, his daughter may be back in Maryland? Heís got his Clemson degree, so this move may seem drastic, but actually for him the Paw Journey may be at a logical end point. I wish him the best, and thank him for dedication and leadership provided to the team these past couple seasons.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-16-2019, 10:32 AM
BuckTN BuckTN is offline
Two Deep
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 588
Default Re: One of Clemson's expected starters at LB enters transfer portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpawgt View Post
This is what Iíve read. Also, his daughter may be back in Maryland? Heís got his Clemson degree, so this move may seem drastic, but actually for him the Paw Journey may be at a logical end point. I wish him the best, and thank him for dedication and leadership provided to the team these past couple seasons.
very good perspective here^^
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-16-2019, 10:50 AM
BloodTiger BloodTiger is online now
Travel Team
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 364
Default Re: One of Clemson's expected starters at LB enters transfer portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpawgt View Post
This is what Iíve read. Also, his daughter may be back in Maryland? Heís got his Clemson degree, so this move may seem drastic, but actually for him the Paw Journey may be at a logical end point. I wish him the best, and thank him for dedication and leadership provided to the team these past couple seasons.
This is where every fanís mindset should be.

We donít know what is going on in his life at the moment. Everyone should be allowed to make a decision that they feel is best for them without backlash. People need to stop taking these things personal.

The portal is one of the best things to happen to college football in a long time. It gives kids options when, for far too long, they were held to unfair confinement no matter what coaches did or what was happening in their lives.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-16-2019, 11:31 AM
whitiger whitiger is online now
NFL Tiger
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3,120
Default Re: One of Clemson's expected starters at LB enters transfer portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodTiger View Post
This is where every fanís mindset should be.

We donít know what is going on in his life at the moment. Everyone should be allowed to make a decision that they feel is best for them without backlash. People need to stop taking these things personal.

The portal is one of the best things to happen to college football in a long time. It gives kids options when, for far too long, they were held to unfair confinement no matter what coaches did or what was happening in their lives.
agree with your sentiments
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-16-2019, 01:04 PM
Walhalla2Atlanta's Avatar
Walhalla2Atlanta Walhalla2Atlanta is offline
NFL Tiger
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dallas, GA (NW Metro ATL)
Posts: 4,221
Default Re: One of Clemson's expected starters at LB enters transfer portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodTiger View Post
This is where every fanís mindset should be.

We donít know what is going on in his life at the moment. Everyone should be allowed to make a decision that they feel is best for them without backlash. People need to stop taking these things personal.

The portal is one of the best things to happen to college football in a long time. It gives kids options when, for far too long, they were held to unfair confinement no matter what coaches did or what was happening in their lives.
I 100% get what you're saying and pretty much agree. It's just tough to balance my old-school "all in for the team" mentality with this new way of doing things. But, I have left jobs where I really liked the people, where it truly was family, to move on to more money and a better opportunity. So, I totally get it, if this is what Shaq is looking for... a better opportunity.

The part I don't get is that I can't imagine there actually being a better opportunity than Clemson. He could leave with 3 or 4 natty rings! And NFL teams have raved about how much character and dedication Clemson players have and that's desirable to them. How desirable to a GM is a kid that bails on Clemson in his last year or two??? Time will tell whether that has any impact on those that transfer, in regards to their draft status. But, I think it definitely shines a negative light on their college career when they transfer from Clemson to play somewhere lesser.

And, I'm completely convinced that someone gets in these kids' ears and fills them with nonsense about greener grass and what-not. I'm not sure what these folks have to gain, but they need to go pound sand and leave the advice-giving to those that actually know what they're talking about.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-16-2019, 05:08 PM
Judge Jeff Davis Judge Jeff Davis is offline
NFL Tiger
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,834
Default Re: One of Clemson's expected starters at LB enters transfer portal

I wish him well, but heís very likely making a mistake from a football perspective. Chances are he wonít make it in the NFL, just based on the fact that most college football players donít, and the guy he backed up last year didnít get drafted. Canít speak obviously to personal matters, and itís none of my business anyway.

Time to get behind Chad Smith. Kid graduated, has patiently waited his turn, and hopefully heíll make the most of it. Heís athletic and has been productive on special teams.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 05-17-2019, 08:28 AM
fchrisgrimm fchrisgrimm is offline
Travel Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Connectucut
Posts: 180
Default Re: One of Clemson's expected starters at LB enters transfer portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodTiger View Post
This is where every fanís mindset should be.

We donít know what is going on in his life at the moment. Everyone should be allowed to make a decision that they feel is best for them without backlash. People need to stop taking these things personal.

The portal is one of the best things to happen to college football in a long time. It gives kids options when, for far too long, they were held to unfair confinement no matter what coaches did or what was happening in their lives.
100%.


Fans take this stuff way more personally than players, coaches, and alumni.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-17-2019, 11:47 AM
TigerRock TigerRock is offline
Travel Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 324
Default Re: One of Clemson's expected starters at LB enters transfer portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fchrisgrimm View Post
100%.


Fans take this stuff way more personally than players, coaches, and alumni.
Dang. As an alumnus (and a fan) that sounds like a bit of a cheap shot
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-17-2019, 12:26 PM
fchrisgrimm fchrisgrimm is offline
Travel Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Connectucut
Posts: 180
Default Re: One of Clemson's expected starters at LB enters transfer portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerRock View Post
Dang. As an alumnus (and a fan) that sounds like a bit of a cheap shot

LOL - I would say that you being an alumnus trumps your being a fan! You get that Clemson is a university and the sports teams represent the university. Every college has it's share of fans that think of the university as just being the local (pseudo-professional) sports team. It's a mixed blessing.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-17-2019, 01:14 PM
Walhalla2Atlanta's Avatar
Walhalla2Atlanta Walhalla2Atlanta is offline
NFL Tiger
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dallas, GA (NW Metro ATL)
Posts: 4,221
Default Re: One of Clemson's expected starters at LB enters transfer portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fchrisgrimm View Post
LOL - I would say that you being an alumnus trumps your being a fan! You get that Clemson is a university and the sports teams represent the university. Every college has it's share of fans that think of the university as just being the local (pseudo-professional) sports team. It's a mixed blessing.

Ouch! Being a non-alumni fan that chose to go to a small school to be able to play sports, yet one that grew up 20 miles from Clemson's campus and spent lots of weekends there hanging out, etc, your comment kinda cuts deep and shows a lack of appreciation and understanding for "fans" like me. Yeah, Clemson sports is HUGE for folks that live in close proximity of the campus and we tend to feel like we're part of the university, even if we didn't attend... and even when we move away. Clemson's seal may not be on my diploma, but believe you me, I bleed orange and I totally get being a college athlete and I totally get what college athletics means to a university. You don't have to be an alum to get that. I wouldn't be surprised if over 50% of the fan base are "just fans" like me. We buy the merchandise, wear the colors, pay the ticket prices and attend as many events as we can. I would call that just a "blessing" not a "mixed blessing."
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05-17-2019, 01:57 PM
fchrisgrimm fchrisgrimm is offline
Travel Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Connectucut
Posts: 180
Default Re: One of Clemson's expected starters at LB enters transfer portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walhalla2Atlanta View Post
Ouch! Being a non-alumni fan that chose to go to a small school to be able to play sports, yet one that grew up 20 miles from Clemson's campus and spent lots of weekends there hanging out, etc, your comment kinda cuts deep and shows a lack of appreciation and understanding for "fans" like me. Yeah, Clemson sports is HUGE for folks that live in close proximity of the campus and we tend to feel like we're part of the university, even if we didn't attend... and even when we move away. Clemson's seal may not be on my diploma, but believe you me, I bleed orange and I totally get being a college athlete and I totally get what college athletics means to a university. You don't have to be an alum to get that. I wouldn't be surprised if over 50% of the fan base are "just fans" like me. We buy the merchandise, wear the colors, pay the ticket prices and attend as many events as we can. I would call that just a "blessing" not a "mixed blessing."
And you are certainly the kind of fan that I would call an unqualified "blessing" and just as certainly lots of people have lots of different circumstances.

But we all know the people who treat Clemson, Alabama, Florida State, or any other program as a team rather than as a university. And those are the folks who tend to take transfers and such as some sort of personal betrayals rather than considering that (for example) a Clemson football player who chooses to transfer may have just as good a reason for his decision as that person has about any major personal decision in their own life. These are the people to whom bad calls represent a conspiracy and any comment in the media outside of unqualified praise is a slight.

The flip side of that... remember the idiot Alabama fan who poisoned the tree on the Auburn campus? Can you imagine alumi doing that kind of idiotic thing? No. Because alumni have more invested in the reputation of the university than just their identity as a sports fan.

FWIW, I graduated in 1984 and, to this day, the most embarassed I have ever been for Clemson was when Bill Atchley resigned as President. In that moment, the priority was clear, athletics over academics. As a graduate of the university, I could not believe the misguided priorities of the university at the time. But that said, many a fan wanted to see the university stand by the athletic coaches and A.D. Bill McClellan, despite multiple probations and the death of a student-athlete who had taken a since-banned substance (without a prescription).

It took a long time for the university to overcome that period. The great thing now (especially with football) is that we are winning and truly doing it the right way.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 AM.

Partner with USA TODAY Sports Media Group

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.