Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2021, 08:01 PM
TCI Staff

Default Could this Clemson team bring home another national championship?

https://theclemsoninsider.com/2021/0...-championship/
Old 04-04-2021, 08:52 PM
NFL Tiger

Default Re: Could this Clemson team bring home another national championship?

Watching the game on YouTube now. This is a good looking team even split up. With all the guys who did not play plus the light coming on for the young guys we have a chance. We need to avoid injuries at the CB and QB position to have a chance but I am excited
Old 04-04-2021, 09:43 PM
Ring of Honor

I donít think so, but to even have a chance we are going to have stay healthy, especially at QB.
Old 04-05-2021, 06:01 AM
Tiger Starter

The answer is yes they can.

Will need lot's of things to fall in their favor. But This team is certainly in the running for the NC.

The good thing about this season is we will know very early where we stand.
Old 04-05-2021, 11:38 AM
NFL Tiger

As long as DJU stays healthy, we should definitely in the mix. I think the D will be better and O should be similar to last year, possibly better with better TE's and if an RB or two separate.
Old 04-05-2021, 12:07 PM
Ring of Honor

Not as good as 2016 or 2018 teams, but Iím not sure how good other teams are either. My guess is another Oklahoma year.
Old 04-05-2021, 12:36 PM
NFL Tiger

All depends on the offensive line IMO. Every other area should be as good as or better than last year.
Old 04-05-2021, 01:11 PM
Two Deep

Can have zero injuries at OL and QB and one of the young Rbs has to blow our hair back....just my opinion
Old 04-05-2021, 03:52 PM
Ring of Honor

Need to see some other teams play football first, but I think we're still going to have issues with the oline and safety play.

This will be a good team, just not sure about title worthy. I've personally got better odds on 2022, but that's just imo.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:34 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsonfan1364 View Post
Need to see some other teams play football first, but I think we're still going to have issues with the oline and safety play.

This will be a good team, just not sure about title worthy. I've personally got better odds on 2022, but that's just imo.
Curious as to what you saw on the split down the middle OL which makes you think they will not be at least good this year? Honest question as I believe many are paying more attention to last year than what they saw in the spring game. The format of having a defender near the QB gets a whistle does not help the OL but I thought the young guys were at least promising to good given the limitations.
Old 04-05-2021, 06:32 PM
Clemson Insider - 2010 March Madness Champ

Don't shoot me, just an opinion. Not this year. We will be in the mix, but I think DJ's trajectory and his surrounding cast will be more like DW4 and crew.
Old 04-05-2021, 08:21 PM
Ring of Honor

I like the oline takes lately, I just think we're another year away from that talent being mature enough to start having a positive effect against elite opponents.

We were not good last year and Trevor/Travis covered up a lot of issues upfront....a lot. Watch that first ND or the Ohio St game. I'm not sure we ran for 50 yds in either contest. We'll be fine in the ACC, no one will threaten us. But this was a national title question. My answer is no...right now.

Maybe the unit can grow into something, but I think this will be a strength in '22. This wasnt about the spring game either...just returning personnel and a general outlook.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:36 AM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: Could this Clemson team bring home another national championship?

Quote:

Sadly, I have similar concerns.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:52 AM
NFL Tiger

I think we will be better and am hopeful that OSU and Bama will not be quite as good. As long as DJ stays upright, we can run the ball decently, our D gets more pressure on opponents QB, we have a legit shot.

Old 04-06-2021, 02:41 PM
Two Deep

They have the potential to be great. But you can be great and still not win the championship. Bama and OSU will be back as usual. Oklahoma looks dangerous and at least one other team will have a great year.

To me the biggest improvement we have to make is modernizing our passing offense. Just 3-5 years ago we were ahead of the curve but Joe Bradyís LSU changed the game again. Bama and OSU (among others) quickly adapted but weíve lagged behind. Without innovation in the passing game playoff caliber teams will outscore us.
Old 04-06-2021, 06:22 PM
Two Deep

They have earned the right to be in the conversation, but in my opinion, they are a year away. 2022 could be as good of a team that Clemson has ever put on the field!!
Old 04-06-2021, 11:32 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerphins View Post
All depends on the offensive line IMO. Every other area should be as good as or better than last year.
At some point Dabo has to figure out that our OL is just not a reliable part of our team from year-to-year. It might annoy folks, but when was the O-line an issue at Alabama other than from injuries?
Old 04-07-2021, 09:29 AM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger80 View Post
At some point Dabo has to figure out that our OL is just not a reliable part of our team from year-to-year. It might annoy folks, but when was the O-line an issue at Alabama other than from injuries?
Iíd like to think Dabo finally decided to make a change at TE coaching due to seeing a lack of development and use within the system, but you have to consider if that was also prompted by negative recruiting against Clemson due to the Pearman controversy. Progress at becoming a strength at Oline should be the criteria, and I donít want to hear about regular season position grading. Those results are highly biased by the level of competition. The non conference games against the likes of Georgia and post season opponents should be the measuring stick for being able to run the ball (by RBs specifically) and QB protection.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:47 AM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpawgt View Post
Iíd like to think Dabo finally decided to make a change at TE coaching due to seeing a lack of development and use within the system, but you have to consider if that was also prompted by negative recruiting against Clemson due to the Pearman controversy. Progress at becoming a strength at Oline should be the criteria, and I donít want to hear about regular season position grading. Those results are highly biased by the level of competition. The non conference games against the likes of Georgia and post season opponents should be the measuring stick for being able to run the ball (by RBs specifically) and QB protection.
That is the issue. We put up big numbers against lesser opponents which skews the results. We struggle against anyone with a semblance of a defense. Even in our national championship games versus Alabama we struggled to run the ball on a consistent basis.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:50 AM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
I like the oline takes lately, I just think we're another year away from that talent being mature enough to start having a positive effect against elite opponents.

We were not good last year and Trevor/Travis covered up a lot of issues upfront....a lot. Watch that first ND or the Ohio St game. I'm not sure we ran for 50 yds in either contest. We'll be fine in the ACC, no one will threaten us. But this was a national title question. My answer is no...right now.

Maybe the unit can grow into something, but I think this will be a strength in '22. This wasnt about the spring game either...just returning personnel and a general outlook.
We get a false sense of our performance by the opposition we play in the ACC. Iron sharpens iron. Most of the ACC teams are not iron.