Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2019, 08:46 PM
Two Deep

Default Haven't seen it mentioned (Closing Fike Pool)

Maybe I missed the thread but the search didn't turn anything up.

Clemson plans to close the Fike pool permanently. I am pretty bummed Clemson is doing this. I also don't buy their reasoning.

I don't see why Clemson wants to be the only school in the ACC without a pool. Getting rid of the scholarship swim team I believe was blamed on Title IX. Clemson can absolutely afford to keep the pool open for the club team and all the people use it for health and exercise.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:30 PM
Owner, Publisher

Default Re: Haven't seen it mentioned (Closing Fike Pool)

Yeah, that is too bad. Barb would certainly have something to say about it.

For the prices Clemson charges students these days they really need to create a better fitness facility. Auburn's is awesome.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:31 PM
Ring of Honor

I donít think officially cutting swimming was related to Title IX since it created a + in womenís scholarships. From what I recall, the pool was in bad shape and was going to cost a lot to get it fixed (I seem to recall it wasnít an Olympic size pool either but I may be wrong). Personally I think they just didnít want to spend the money to repair the pool and fund the program - scholarships, coaches, travel, etc.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:19 AM
Two Deep

Hadn't heard this. Former swimmer here. Won't go into that here now. Is there another ACC/SEC school that does not have a pool on campus? I have been to other campuses. student centers have pools. And lot's of other amenities. U of SC has a couple of pools. The Thurmond center is pretty amazing. Clemson has nothing like that to my knowledge.

In the scheme of things, keeping an existing 8 lane, 25 yard pool open is not that big of a cost. There was an issue years ago, the last year they had the swim team, but I thought they fixed that.

Olympic sized pools are 50 meters in length. Our pool is 25 yards which is what NCAA competes in. Short course in fall/winter is 25 yards. Long course during summer in 50 meter pools. There are larger meets, international meets that compete in the 50 meter pool during the short course season.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:58 AM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Tiger View Post
I donít think officially cutting swimming was related to Title IX since it created a + in womenís scholarships. From what I recall, the pool was in bad shape and was going to cost a lot to get it fixed (I seem to recall it wasnít an Olympic size pool either but I may be wrong). Personally I think they just didnít want to spend the money to repair the pool and fund the program - scholarships, coaches, travel, etc.

It wasn't a money issue for the pool originally.

When they got rid of the swim team, they also said they were going to close to pool for cost reasons.

I know a booster showed up with a checkbook asking how much it would cost to keep the swim team. They said it wasn't a money thing and rejected the offer from the booster. Said booster has nothing to do with Clemson anymore because she knew they were being dishonest about what and why they were doing what they were doing.

If there are maintenance issues, fix it. Fike actually just spent a HUGE amount of their budget putting new pumps and equipment in just last year.

We will legit be probably the only school in the ACC and SEC without a pool. Makes zero sense.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:34 AM
The Gambler - Charter Member - Clemson Insider - Gate Veteran

Sad! I've been swimming in those pools since I was 5 (1981)
Old 06-20-2019, 12:14 PM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezmrin View Post
Sad! I've been swimming in those pools since I was 5 (1981)

I urge everyone to email the BOD and the President if you think Clemson shouldn't change their direction.

Unfortunately, Clemson isn't going to listen to the student body on this. Money talks.