Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2022, 11:45 AM
Two Deep

Default Re: Brownell

yeah, in only 3 seasons...
Old 01-19-2022, 12:26 PM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
A quiz bowl team would be preferred to the current situation where our fans are constantly disappointed because they expect Pappy Van Winkle on a Old Forrester budget.
Old Forrester 1920 is still a favorite value pour for me.
Old 01-19-2022, 12:55 PM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawStudent View Post
OP won ZERO tournament games.

As compared to what 2 or 3?
Old 01-19-2022, 01:57 PM
NFL Tiger

Only in your world Ken, is making the NCAA half the time equivalent to Pappy Van Winkle.
Old 01-19-2022, 02:46 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Well there was that NIT run back in 06-07 season.
Old 01-19-2022, 02:54 PM
Two Deep

Quote:
OP took Clemson to the ACC Championship game in 2008
Old 01-19-2022, 03:39 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy86 View Post
OP took Clemson to the ACC Championship game in 2008
And CBB won in the dean dome plus made a sweet 16 appearance.
Old 01-19-2022, 03:40 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvegastiger49 View Post
Only in your world Ken, is making the NCAA half the time equivalent to Pappy Van Winkle.
Being me ain't easy...
Old 01-19-2022, 07:01 PM
Two Deep

OP is hardly the gold standard for which we should aspire.

Anyway, if you want to make your voice heard...

Graham Neff
Director of Athletics
864-656-1935
neffg@clemson.edu
Old 01-20-2022, 01:33 PM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
OP is hardly the gold standard for which we should aspire.

Anyway, if you want to make your voice heard...

Graham Neff
Director of Athletics
864-656-1935
neffg@clemson.edu
Any time a change is mentioned for men's basketball, OP always comes up as the type of coach Clemson should go after because of his success making the tournament. The issue is that he never did anything once there.

And, as Robert has said many times, Neff worked closely with the basketball program. If you think sending him an email giving him your (very) unqualified opinion, then, by all means, go for it.
Old 01-20-2022, 10:54 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Any time a change is mentioned for men's basketball, OP always comes up as the type of coach Clemson should go after because of his success making the tournament. The issue is that he never did anything once there.

And, as Robert has said many times, Neff worked closely with the basketball program. If you think sending him an email giving him your (very) unqualified opinion, then, by all means, go for it.

Still being there and not winning is better than not getting there hardly at all over 13 years. I mean either mediocrity is the best we can do or maybe its just time to try someone different. I think we can be mediocre with a number of coaches instead if sticking with one that just never gets any better. If the next guy flops then fire him and get another. If we do nothing and hope that after 13 years suddenly CBB will be differnet and great its not happening. Much rather roll the dice and see what we can do.
Old 01-21-2022, 01:52 AM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: Brownell

I always thought Rick Barnes was the gold standard for a head coach at Clemson even though he wasn’t there very long. I think we made the NCAA tournament three out of four years.
Old 01-21-2022, 06:11 AM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitiger View Post
Still being there and not winning is better than not getting there hardly at all over 13 years. I mean either mediocrity is the best we can do or maybe its just time to try someone different. I think we can be mediocre with a number of coaches instead if sticking with one that just never gets any better. If the next guy flops then fire him and get another. If we do nothing and hope that after 13 years suddenly CBB will be differnet and great its not happening. Much rather roll the dice and see what we can do.
Look, I think the NCAAT is the worst way to determine a champion, but to equate just getting there and losing each time versus getting there and winning games is just not the same.

I have been a huge CBB supporter, and I can understand what you are saying, but it's also a very simplistic view of his tenure.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:11 AM
NFL Tiger

If the option is what we have now with Brownell vs what we had with OP, I will take Brownell every time. I would rather lose with someone that loves Clemson than someone that bad mouths Clemson when the cameras weren’t rolling. But I think there is an option out there that they can be successful and love Clemson. As Dabo says, if you can dream it you will never achieve it.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:24 AM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggershark View Post
If the option is what we have now with Brownell vs what we had with OP, I will take Brownell every time. I would rather lose with someone that loves Clemson than someone that bad mouths Clemson when the cameras weren’t rolling. But I think there is an option out there that they can be successful and love Clemson. As Dabo says, if you can dream it you will never achieve it.
You "think" there is an option out there. That's the issue. There is no guarantee either direction. For those that want to roll the dice, that's a valid opinion. Just like it's a valid opinion to move forward with CBB pending locker room issues, administrative issues, etc.

This whole thread is the problem with society. Everyone is so entrenched with their OPINION that they fail to see another's point of view.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:30 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
You "think" there is an option out there. That's the issue. There is no guarantee either direction. For those that want to roll the dice, that's a valid opinion. Just like it's a valid opinion to move forward with CBB pending locker room issues, administrative issues, etc.

This whole thread is the problem with society. Everyone is so entrenched with their OPINION that they fail to see another's point of view.
You are right that there are no guarantees, but we are currently stagnant or regressing as a program. There is very little interest in the program overall. At the very least, someone fresh would create some excitement or life into the program. Again, what makes this so hard for me is that I really like Brad. I think he has been the best ambassador for Clemson then any other basketball coach. But there is an opportunity at Clemson for the basketball program to be successful both financially and on the court and it is currently not there.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:37 AM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggershark View Post
You are right that there are no guarantees, but we are currently stagnant or regressing as a program. There is very little interest in the program overall. At the very least, someone fresh would create some excitement or life into the program. Again, what makes this so hard for me is that I really like Brad. I think he has been the best ambassador for Clemson then any other basketball coach. But there is an opportunity at Clemson for the basketball program to be successful both financially and on the court and it is currently not there.
I don't necessarily agree with the stagnant/regressing, but when is there excitement? OP? Do you trade OP for CBB? You've already stated that you wouldn't, so I don't know that going for the excitement factor will help.

I like the most recent recruiting classes. It's clear that CBB has made Clemson a good option for transfers. I think the administrative support is at least adequate, facilities are decent, and, as mentioned previously, recruiting is going fairly well. I think he's got two years. This year and next pending some kind of colossal collapse.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:57 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
I don't necessarily agree with the stagnant/regressing, but when is there excitement? OP? Do you trade OP for CBB? You've already stated that you wouldn't, so I don't know that going for the excitement factor will help.

I like the most recent recruiting classes. It's clear that CBB has made Clemson a good option for transfers. I think the administrative support is at least adequate, facilities are decent, and, as mentioned previously, recruiting is going fairly well. I think he's got two years. This year and next pending some kind of colossal collapse.
BB has made strides in recruiting but the results have been the same. BB seems to be struggling trying to out score opponents rather than beat them with defense. Because of the last AD extending BB's contract it may be too hard of a hit financially to make a change. After the season is over the new AD needs to have a plan for Brad and the program. It would cost a lot less in the long run to pay more for strong assistant coaches than to buyout BB's contract.