Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2021, 07:40 AM
TCI Staff

Default Can something different be done with targeting fouls in college football?

https://theclemsoninsider.com/2021/0...lege-football/
Old 01-14-2021, 08:24 AM
Ring of Honor

Default Re: Can something different be done with targeting fouls in college football?

Does the NCAA publish the trends on the number of targeting penalties called? Is it trending up or down? The purpose of the penalty is to remove helmet contacts from occurring to avoid injury. Is that actually being achieved or does this penalty just provide the optics/perception that the game is now safer?

I donít I ever hear the above questions being debated for targeting. Instead itís just arguments about how the penalty needs to be changed with an assumption that itís actually working towards its intended purpose.

My personal opinion is that the speed of the game has more to do with targeting occurring than a defender having willful intent. Unnecessary roughness is a significant penalty that can clean up dirty play. If the nature of the game has more to do with targeting occurring then no revising of the penalty is going reduce these incidents and make the game safer. It could be a mirage, and actually making things worse because no one is working on a better solution to the problem. What if a better solution was to increase practice time spent on training on proper tackling technique. Going back to more live tackling drills so the speed of the game aspect is accounted for. Just a few examples, but certainly there must be many better ideas than a penalty that just says ďhey youíre a bad guy so youíre ejected from the game, problem solvedĒ. Meanwhile, medical staff are still carrying a player off the field with a concussion.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:54 AM
Way2tall

Default Re: Can something different be done with targeting fouls in college football?

Maybe they can create a level 1 and level 2 targeting call. Skalski's was an old fashioned spearing penalty. Maybe they can make the player sit for a quarter or two for a level 1, along with the personal foul penalty, and if it is direct head to head or in other ways egregious make it a level 2. I think the way it is the penalty is too severe in some cases.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:00 AM
NFL Tiger

My suggestion is similar to talltiger's with two levels of penalties. For the head to head, stay as-is, but for hits to the body, go back to the "spearing" call but only a 15 yard penalty and charged with a personal foul.

The hit on Fields would have resulted in a 15 yard penalty, although personally I think it was an old fashioned football hit.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:36 AM
Travel Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger68 View Post
My suggestion is similar to talltiger's with two levels of penalties. For the head to head, stay as-is, but for hits to the body, go back to the "spearing" call but only a 15 yard penalty and charged with a personal foul.

The hit on Fields would have resulted in a 15 yard penalty, although personally I think it was an old fashioned football hit.

Which isn't a good argument for it not being a penalty. Hits like that are what ended Ryan Shazier's career at 25 years old. They're dangerous plays and making attempts to remove them from the game is a good thing.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:25 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: Can something different be done with targeting fouls in college football?

tigerpawgt, I think poor tackling technique explains a lot of the targeting calls. If I lower my head to tackle Iím going to lead with the crown of my helmet but Iím also no longer able to see who Iím tackling. That isnít the correct way to tackle.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:32 PM
NFL Tiger

Eliminate the use of a helmet (think rugby) then no one will lead with their head.