Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2021, 07:40 AM
TCI Staff

Default Letís not take what Clemson Football has accomplished for granted

https://theclemsoninsider.com/2021/0...d-for-granted/
Old 01-13-2021, 09:54 AM
NFL Tiger

Default Re: Letís not take what Clemson Football has accomplished for granted

this is not right. We should panic because we did not go to the championship by acting like the season was a major disappointment. We should fire coaches and wholesale bring in a bunch of portal players. The program needs a major overhaul else we might end up 4th in the final poll next year!
Old 01-13-2021, 10:01 AM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsson View Post
this is not right. We should panic because we did not go to the championship by acting like the season was a major disappointment. We should fire coaches and wholesale bring in a bunch of portal players. The program needs a major overhaul else we might end up 4th in the final poll next year!
Lol!
Old 01-13-2021, 10:44 AM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: Letís not take what Clemson Football has accomplished for granted

I appreciate a lot of things, but I absolutely refuse to apologize for wanting more. If Best is the Standard then we sure as hell should be upset we did not win the semi-final game and that we lost it in such a dismal fashion. The loss was not a "tough break" or "they made one more play than we did" kind of thing. It was a old-fashioned ass-kicking. It poked holes in the notion that we have arrived. When you have arrived, you win six championships in 12 years. Otherwise, you have an obligation to figure out what you need to do to get better and better and better.

ďThe challenge is always when you have success, people tend to forget what made them successful, ai-ight?Ē Saban said. ďAnd complacency creates a blatant disregard for doing the right things or continuing to do the things that you've always done to help you be successful.
- Nick Saban, July 11, 2016
Old 01-13-2021, 10:49 AM
NFL Tiger

[QUOTE=Tiger80;647966]I appreciate a lot of things, but I absolutely refuse to apologize for wanting more. If Best is the Standard then we sure as hell should be upset we did not win the semi-final game and that we lost it in such a dismal fashion. The loss was not a "tough break" or "they made one more play than we did" kind of thing. It was a old-fashioned ass-kicking. It poked holes in the notion that we have arrived. When you have arrived, you win six championships in 12 years. Otherwise, you have an obligation to figure out what you need to do to get better and better and better.

Blah, blah, blah

Even Saban lost 6 of the last 12.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:52 AM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: Letís not take what Clemson Football has accomplished for granted

[QUOTE=AlabamaTigerfan;647968]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger80 View Post
I appreciate a lot of things, but I absolutely refuse to apologize for wanting more. If Best is the Standard then we sure as hell should be upset we did not win the semi-final game and that we lost it in such a dismal fashion. The loss was not a "tough break" or "they made one more play than we did" kind of thing. It was a old-fashioned ass-kicking. It poked holes in the notion that we have arrived. When you have arrived, you win six championships in 12 years. Otherwise, you have an obligation to figure out what you need to do to get better and better and better.

Blah, blah, blah

Even Saban lost 6 of the last 12.
That might be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read. Using that logic we have lost 4 of the last 6. I'll take winning the CFP championship 50% of the time over winning 33 and 1/3% of the time.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:26 AM
Ring of Honor

And while you are bush-bird chasing, do you not ever take the time to appreciate the bird in your hand?

I'm sorry 80, this mentality comes off as spoiled and entitled. The moral of the article was to appreciate how far the team has come. It was not "look at us, we've reached the finish line and we're the best"

I have no doubt Dabo and his team are heartbroken about the way the season ended. I have no doubt there will be "tweaks" to the system- whether they be public (like a coaching change) or private (changing two practice periods a week to special teams only). Dabo doesn't like losing, and implying that he does because Coach X or Coach Y isn't fired is spoiled and selfish behavior.

Make no mistake, I want the goals of this program to be high. Being critical of every practice and game decision for 364 days is not the way I prefer to go about it.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:37 AM
Ring of Honor

Itís not about proclaiming the sky is falling. Clemson dominated Bama for the crown. Since then weíve been clobbered in the CFP, including the OhioSt game two years ago where we were two Dobbins dropped passes from being down 28 zip. Clemson survived that game plain and simple.

The healthy debate since the LSU loss has been about whatís not working, where are things needing to improve etc. Bama got clobbered by us, and on Monday they proved that they addressed their issues and are once again at a level above everyone else. I want Clemson to fix the issues and dominate in the CFP again. Seems reasonable to me since Dabo and crew did it before so it can be done again. The recruiting has been excellent on paper so now they need to translate that into domination. To do that Dabo must be willing to examine everything but change only what is not working and keep intact what is working.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:55 AM
Founder/Publisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelongstroke View Post
And while you are bush-bird chasing, do you not ever take the time to appreciate the bird in your hand?

I'm sorry 80, this mentality comes off as spoiled and entitled. The moral of the article was to appreciate how far the team has come. It was not "look at us, we've reached the finish line and we're the best"

I have no doubt Dabo and his team are heartbroken about the way the season ended. I have no doubt there will be "tweaks" to the system- whether they be public (like a coaching change) or private (changing two practice periods a week to special teams only). Dabo doesn't like losing, and implying that he does because Coach X or Coach Y isn't fired is spoiled and selfish behavior.

Make no mistake, I want the goals of this program to be high. Being critical of every practice and game decision for 364 days is not the way I prefer to go about it.
Stroke I need a translation. What is bush-bird chasing?
Old 01-13-2021, 11:55 AM
Way2tall

I sure hope some of you guys get more joy out of your accomplishments than you do from the accomplishments of these teenagers that sacrifice to be successful on your behalf. Because if you don't, you either 1) are 100% successful at everything you do all the time, and/or 2) are missing out on a lot of joy in life. Sure I want to win every game and am disappointed when we lose but man, do I appreciate where we are as a program. I think that is Will's point and I am with him 100%!
Old 01-13-2021, 12:11 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpawgt View Post
It’s not about proclaiming the sky is falling. Clemson dominated Bama for the crown. Since then we’ve been clobbered in the CFP, including the OhioSt game two years ago where we were two Dobbins dropped passes from being down 28 zip. Clemson survived that game plain and simple.

The healthy debate since the LSU loss has been about what’s not working, where are things needing to improve etc. Bama got clobbered by us, and on Monday they proved that they addressed their issues and are once again at a level above everyone else. I want Clemson to fix the issues and dominate in the CFP again. Seems reasonable to me since Dabo and crew did it before so it can be done again. The recruiting has been excellent on paper so now they need to translate that into domination. To do that Dabo must be willing to examine everything but change only what is not working and keep intact what is working.
Take Bama for example, in 2018 we ran them off the field. They did not make the playoffs in 2019 and won it all in 2020.

Take Ohio as another example. In 2018 they did not make the playoffs. In 2019 we beat them in a close game and in 2020 Bama ran them off the field.

LSU was dominant in 2019 (maybe the GOAT) but sucked in 2020.

ND gets blown out whenever they make the playoffs. Pretty much a convincing loss for Oklahoma when they make the playoffs.

I would also point to FSU in the 90s where they were pretty much top 4 every single freaking year but won only two titles. It seems like every year one team catches fire meaning they have all the pieces in place to be a complete team peaking at the right time. No team is dominate every year (Bama has come closest) but as long as we are bumping around the top four we will get our share of titles.

What in Dabo's history or nature makes you think he is content and will not make the changes he deems necessary?

BTW I saw this on Twitter about the Hokies who have fully embraced the portal:

The #Hokies got a commitment from Texas A&M transfer QB Connor Blumrick.

He's the fifth transfer QB brought in on Fuente's watch. VT's had three of its own transfer out in that time.

Is this who we want to become?

Last edited by Ken; 01-13-2021 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:23 PM
Ring of Honor

I have no concerns about Dabo examining his program from top to bottom. Heís an outstanding leader and thatís what they do. I just pointed to recent history that may indicate heís thinking about what needs to be evaluated.

What I do get riled up about is people complaining that a fan message board is somehow the wrong place to express opinions about what we have seen on the field. Airing those thoughts is kind of interesting and I learn some things along the way. Itís not forgetting how much these players and coaches devote to the program (as long personal shots are not taken at individuals). Just a place to have friendly debate.

Iíve read some valid arguments for why the transfer portal could be used by Clemson and if not explored could become a competitive disadvantage. Dabo has essentially voiced similar concerns. He knows it has become disruptive to his philosophy to develop through HS recruiting and player loyalty. He rightly is taking a slow approach because itís a double edged sword.

For me the transfer portal is mostly a secondary concern. Developing the potential of the players already on the roster should be the primary focus.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:25 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Thorne MacRae View Post
Stroke I need a translation. What is bush-bird chasing?
It's the logical extension of the proverb "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush". A Bush-bird is one that is still in the bush. In other words, it is not worthy of the same level of concern as the bird in the hand (or the trophy case).

If we are going to look in the rear-view mirror, it would be good for perspective to look at the West/ Bowden years too.
Old 01-13-2021, 03:12 PM
Travel Team

I agree that it was a good season, but I also think there's plenty of room for improvement. Just because things have gone well doesn't mean you can't keep pushing forward. I do think a couple changes should be made to keep moving us in the right direction.
Old 01-13-2021, 03:34 PM
NFL Tiger

A quote from Dabo:

"Those great businesses out there, those great programs, they don't plateau. So, how do you do that? Well, you've got to constantly reinvent, reinvest, reset, learn, grow. You change."

IMO we can do both. We should certainly never take our accomplishments for granted. And we can also certainly strive to keep on growing so that we can remain one of the elite.

I remember so much talk, possibly before this season began, of if other teams have bridged the gap. I think we all agree that it has some. Doesn't mean that they are equal or close to equal. We are still kings of the ACC and will have to keep fighting to remain there. And obviously need to fight even harder to win it all.

I am happy that we have been so successful and want to remain happy in the future.
Old 01-13-2021, 03:57 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMITH2554 View Post
A quote from Dabo:

"Those great businesses out there, those great programs, they don't plateau. So, how do you do that? Well, you've got to constantly reinvent, reinvest, reset, learn, grow. You change."

IMO we can do both. We should certainly never take our accomplishments for granted. And we can also certainly strive to keep on growing so that we can remain one of the elite.

I remember so much talk, possibly before this season began, of if other teams have bridged the gap. I think we all agree that it has some. Doesn't mean that they are equal or close to equal. We are still kings of the ACC and will have to keep fighting to remain there. And obviously need to fight even harder to win it all.

I am happy that we have been so successful and want to remain happy in the future.
And at the same time, it is possible to ask questions without berating player position groups, or their coaches, ad nauseum at every opportunity.

We get it, there are a lot of you out there that are incensed about the play of the offensive line. You folks keep telling us over and over, we have heard you. Sand thru the scratch on the vinyl record or put another one on. This song has gotten old.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:25 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpawgt View Post
I have no concerns about Dabo examining his program from top to bottom. Heís an outstanding leader and thatís what they do. I just pointed to recent history that may indicate heís thinking about what needs to be evaluated.

What I do get riled up about is people complaining that a fan message board is somehow the wrong place to express opinions about what we have seen on the field. Airing those thoughts is kind of interesting and I learn some things along the way. Itís not forgetting how much these players and coaches devote to the program (as long personal shots are not taken at individuals). Just a place to have friendly debate.

Iíve read some valid arguments for why the transfer portal could be used by Clemson and if not explored could become a competitive disadvantage. Dabo has essentially voiced similar concerns. He knows it has become disruptive to his philosophy to develop through HS recruiting and player loyalty. He rightly is taking a slow approach because itís a double edged sword.

For me the transfer portal is mostly a secondary concern. Developing the potential of the players already on the roster should be the primary focus.
Opinions are great and make the message board interesting except when they are expressed as fact and given without considering contest.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:28 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelongstroke View Post
And at the same time, it is possible to ask questions without berating player position groups, or their coaches, ad nauseum at every opportunity.

We get it, there are a lot of you out there that are incensed about the play of the offensive line. You folks keep telling us over and over, we have heard you. Sand thru the scratch on the vinyl record or put another one on. This song has gotten old.
I am not sure I follow Stroke. Are you inferring that I am berating any group through this comment? I was trying to comment that I am agreeing with both sides. I think there is work to be done, and most agree, but I am absolutely thrilled that we have torn up the ACC and we are finishing 3rd this year. It's an outstanding accomplishment.
Old 01-13-2021, 05:38 PM
NFL Tiger

The internet would have died back in the 80's when we would have our annual loss to NCSU...

I'll never take an ACC title for granted.
Old 01-13-2021, 05:49 PM
Tiger Starter

I appreciate our coaches and players every day. I lived through 1975.