Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2021, 08:11 AM
Founder/Publisher

Default How would you handle the South Carolina game for next season?

If you were Clemson would you play the game in Columbia?
Old 01-13-2021, 09:23 AM
Two Deep

Default Re: How would you handle the South Carolina game for next season?

Two straight are played in Clemson, then back to regular schedule
Old 01-13-2021, 09:25 AM
Two Deep

As much as I agree with you, we all know that wont happen...
Old 01-13-2021, 09:55 AM
NFL Tiger

We got another home game out of it, right? So we probably didn't lose that much from the change. I suppose we could ask for a share of the purse for the coming year but doubt that'll happen. They will still be paying off Mustcant and that stupid chicken out front of their stadium. I guess we can just say that they owe us if something comes up again.
Old 01-13-2021, 09:57 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Thorne MacRae View Post
If you were Clemson would you play the game in Columbia?
Our future schedules are all based on the home and away with 7 home games each year so it is not possible to flip without jacking everything up.

We should go to cola next year and hang 70 on them to make the proper first impression For Coach Beamer.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:28 AM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMITH2554 View Post
We got another home game out of it, right? So we probably didn't lose that much from the change. I suppose we could ask for a share of the purse for the coming year but doubt that'll happen. They will still be paying off Mustcant and that stupid chicken out front of their stadium. I guess we can just say that they owe us if something comes up again.
You got the Citadel instead of South Carolina, so you lost a lot in television revenue because no one outside of Clemson fans were watching the game, and I believe the game was on the ACCN in the middle of the afternoon.

Clemson and the ACC got screwed by the SEC last year, so did the guys at Florida State and Louisville. I believe Georgia was hosting GT.

The ACC needs to stand up and demand those three schools host those games and if not, tell the SEC to "you know what" and play other games in those slots this year.

Maybe Clemson can go get another Power 5 opponent for this year to replace the Gamecocks and then in 2022 the Gamecocks come back to Clemson and you pick up where you left off.

Clemson should not have to go back to South Carolina in 2021 for two reasons. First off, Clemson played 57 straight times in Columbia to start the rivalry. So the way I see it, South Carolina owes them back-to-back years and then some.

Secondly, Clemson is the premier program of the two, it should not back down from them at all. Radakovich needs to stand his ground. Clemson and the ACC wanted to play last year and found a way to make it work. The SEC took it away. Let's not forget that.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:31 AM
NFL Tiger

Leave as is. SCAR was not responsible for COVID and the changes so this year should not have direct impact on future years schedules. Just go play ad win big. Leave 2020 in the rear view mirror.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:50 AM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: How would you handle the South Carolina game for next season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Vandervort View Post

Maybe Clemson can go get another Power 5 opponent for this year to replace the Gamecocks and then in 2022 the Gamecocks come back to Clemson and you pick up where you left off.

Clemson should not have to go back to South Carolina in 2021 for two reasons. First off, Clemson played 57 straight times in Columbia to start the rivalry. So the way I see it, South Carolina owes them back-to-back years and then some.

Secondly, Clemson is the premier program of the two, it should not back down from them at all. Radakovich needs to stand his ground. Clemson and the ACC wanted to play last year and found a way to make it work. The SEC took it away. Let's not forget that.
I go with this option. We have no obligation to play them in Columbia.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:31 AM
Ring of Honor

Play it at a neutral site (say Charlotte). Split the stadium like they do TX-OU and divide the revenue. Yeah I know it won’t happen.
Old 01-13-2021, 12:10 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
You got the Citadel instead of South Carolina, so you lost a lot in television revenue because no one outside of Clemson fans were watching the game, and I believe the game was on the ACCN in the middle of the afternoon.

Clemson and the ACC got screwed by the SEC last year, so did the guys at Florida State and Louisville. I believe Georgia was hosting GT.

The ACC needs to stand up and demand those three schools host those games and if not, tell the SEC to "you know what" and play other games in those slots this year.

Gotcha! What Covid has taught many is that people are going to take advantage of a bad situation. SEC will/is blaming it on Covid and if we say something about it, then we are whiners. Just like what Dabo went through with FSU. Yes we got screwed. I would imagine the SEC got more revenue from TV by only playing SEC teams. So they took advantage and blamed it on Covid. Is it the right thing to do? Nope but if they can hide behind Covid and cut some of their losses by getting a little more revenue where they can then they will do it. Too many Catch 22s that this virus has caused. I don't think there's anything we can do about it and come out any better. But, hopefully our new commish will know and remember and stick it to the SEC when we have a chance. Payback can be hell if done in the right way. IMO.
Old 01-13-2021, 01:27 PM
Travel Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitiger View Post
Leave as is. SCAR was not responsible for COVID and the changes so this year should not have direct impact on future years schedules. Just go play ad win big. Leave 2020 in the rear view mirror.
Agreed, though I think a neutral site game should also be considered.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:26 PM
Two Deep

Play Coastal in Clemson next year instead of the Gameturds
Old 01-13-2021, 05:21 PM
NFL Tiger

First, there is no way I would give up an opportunity to completely slaughter them in Beamer's first year. So there is no way I take them off the schedule next year 'to even things out.'

Second, we need to be focused on the future and not waste one moment arguing about something that doesn't matter in the big picture. We will have seven home games next year and the best thing we can do financially is make sure our team is better than it was this year. If we fill the stadium seven times, keep our profile high nationally so we sell more gear, and make the CFP again... We will be where we need to be. Where we play UofSC has no bearing on ANY of those things that actually matter.

We need 100% focus on beating UGA. If we start the season off with a win there, everything will be in our control. If we lose that game, we will not control our own destiny.

A bigger question to me is this: Is the ACC going to jack around with the conference schedule and rotation of opponents? I hope not. I can easily see them screwing us with schedule adjustments.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:33 PM
NFL Tiger

Put 80 on them in our home away from home.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:38 PM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitiger View Post
This!! Does it really matter where we play them next year? It should be a beat down and it won't mess up future schedules.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:01 PM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMITH2554 View Post
Gotcha! What Covid has taught many is that people are going to take advantage of a bad situation. SEC will/is blaming it on Covid and if we say something about it, then we are whiners. Just like what Dabo went through with FSU. Yes we got screwed. I would imagine the SEC got more revenue from TV by only playing SEC teams. So they took advantage and blamed it on Covid. Is it the right thing to do? Nope but if they can hide behind Covid and cut some of their losses by getting a little more revenue where they can then they will do it. Too many Catch 22s that this virus has caused. I don't think there's anything we can do about it and come out any better. But, hopefully our new commish will know and remember and stick it to the SEC when we have a chance. Payback can be hell if done in the right way. IMO.
Why can't the ACC hide behind Covid?
Old 01-14-2021, 02:25 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Why can't the ACC hide behind Covid?
We certainly can like FSU but am hopeful that things will be more back to normal this coming year. It might be punkish to do but if we are in the same situation, then we could certainly do that. Also, as pointed out, the ratings for SEC vs SEC would probably be more favorable than ACC vs ACC so it would hurt us more.