Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2021, 01:35 PM
Travel Team

Default Is Ross being misused?

He averaged 22 yards per catch in 2018 and 13 in 2019. This year he's at 10. Those years he was a downfield receiver, showing an ability to outrun defenders and high point the ball. He can't do that in the slot. I don't see him as a slot receiver and it seems foolish to me to misuse our best receiving threat. I get that the coaches aren't very high on our other slot receivers but I thought Spector played pretty well in that role and now we've got Taylor looking like a threat.
Old 09-19-2021, 01:38 PM
Ring of Honor

Default Re: Is Ross being misused?

Heís not a natural slot receiver but I think the biggest issue is A.) weíre not really even attempting to get the ball down the field with the play calls and B.) when we are we arenít hitting them.
Old 09-19-2021, 01:40 PM
Tiger Starter

Simple answer is YES! Another genius coaching decision! 🙄

Iím not saying I can come up with an answer for that ails the offense, but you bad decisions and bad play calls when you see them.
Old 09-19-2021, 07:18 PM
Two Deep

Given the offensive production so far this year, Iím inclined to say yes. Doesnít make sense to me to take a guy who just returned from serious surgery and expect him to make plays over the middle.

It would be worth the shot to put him back in his natural position and see what happens. If nothing changes, then tell us you told us so. But if it does work, look out!
Old 09-20-2021, 07:15 AM
Two Deep

Will Taylor is supposed to be amazing. They want him on the field. Put that kid in the slot already.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:32 AM
Founder/Publisher

Ross was better this week and I expect we see him get better each week.
Old 09-20-2021, 11:46 AM
Travel Team

My opinion and you know what that's worth.. is that Ross is better on the outside with his physical tools. He's a baller no matter what, and will get better each game. I would put Ross outside to utilize his size and strength and run EJ inside and work him along with Will T. I think Will has the quickness for that slot role. I know it's new and he's never played it, but there is no reason why he couldn't be studying and learning that now when we need a quick smaller guy in the slot.

Then again, I don't get paid to coach, so there you have it.